Emerald Performance

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Tom Holleran

1. Not "Emerald Performance"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Emerald Performance (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work, requires concentration and sophisticated math.

Cons

Would like more projects, not enough work to maintain a living

2. EHS Specialist

I worked at Emerald Performance

Pros

Good culture, friendly people and work/life balance. Commute is good due to proximity to freeway.

Cons

Pay was average and they have a firm zero tolerance policy on making safety or environmental errors. I suppose this is a good policy for a chemical company. Small company so limited options for career advancement in my field.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. Fantastic Job!

Current Employee - Synthetic Organic Chemist in Kalama, WA
    Current Employee - Synthetic Organic Chemist in Kalama, WA

I have been working at Emerald Performance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The R&D department is a joy to work in.
    - Everyone has their own individual projects, but are always willing to offer advice or guidance to others.
    - My direct supervisor is a pleasure to work with. He is extremely knowledgeable and excellent at managing the department.
    - The synthesis lab area was newly remodeled
    - Safety is of extreme importance to Emerald Performance Materials and we are always striving to improve.
    - The company continues to grow and the president, Ed Gotch, is very efficient and an impeccable leader.

Cons

- Upper management is often overly optimistic with project timelines.
    - Some of the projects are a bit repetitive in the development side of the research (I personally love optimizing reactions, but I know that synthesizing new compounds in inventive ways is very attractive to many people).
    - The budget is somewhat limited so we don't have the latest instrumentation, but the ones we do have are well maintained.

5. Not a bad place to work.

I have been working at Emerald Performance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not a bad place to work as an engineer. There are a lot of project opportunities but staffing is pretty strapped so sometimes it's tough to get the help you need.

Cons

I believe the managers here should be more focused on development and growth of younger employees. To be a successful company you should want to retain the talent in your system.

terrible

Former Employee - Plant Manager in Maple Shade, NJ
    Former Employee - Plant Manager in Maple Shade, NJ

I worked at Emerald Performance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

At CVC, Maple Shade(division of Emerald) working was a pleasure. Good people, very family oriented environment. Growing business every year. People working there were proud of what they are doing. Management was listening to employees concerns. It was a pleasure to work at CVC in Maple shade...

Cons

Emerald as a corporate is the opposite of CVC. Employees are just a number to them. No regards for well being of individuals. Our way or highway. Constant insecurity about job. Changes made with out any concerns to employees. It was the must stressful experience to work for Emerald Performance.

Advice to Management

If you want to maintain the integrity of CVC in Maple Shade you need to treat employees with more respect and take deferent outlook how to run customer based operation to be successful in this very competitive business. There will be nothing left of this business in few months for you to sell.

7. My experience has been very positive. I have gained valuable lab experience and my skills continue to grow as I learn.

Current Employee - R&D Applications Technician in Kalama, WA
    Current Employee - R&D Applications Technician in Kalama, WA

I have been working at Emerald Performance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere, decent salary, paid holidays, works hard to put qualified people to work.

Cons

Not an equal balance between the safety training versus the technical training. Not enough vacation days and I do not hear a lot of feedback as far as my work performance is concerned. When I do get evaluated every now and then, I do not always understand what I am being evaluated for. The money is okay but could really be better. It is difficult to get permission to travel for something, such as attending a conference or a course on something related to my work, which would be very beneficial. Even getting the company to pay for a webinar where I could learn new skills that would be greatly beneficial is equivalent to twisting an arm. I have to jump through hoops to travel to another state for a few days while others get to travel to other countries with no worries. When our new lab was built, the engineers neglected to plumb the water lines in our fume hoods, which means they are not fully functional. Nothing was done about it until I complained several times to my supervisor. I honestly do not believe it would have ever been fixed had I not been forced to remind people of it now and then. It finally got fixed after almost a full year where, during that time, we did not have fully functional fume hoods.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more work put into the technical training aspect. The safety training is covered in great depth. Provide more positive feedback to individual employees rather than to the company as a whole. As far as spending goes, I do not believe we should be forced to jump through hoops to get what we need in order to do our jobs, whether it is buying a new piece of lab equipment or paying someone to come in and fix our machines. There needs to be more wiggle room for other employees, such as technicians and engineers to travel, learn new skills, and get our name out there to other companies.

Falling asleep at my desk

Former Contractor - Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Emerald Performance as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You don't have to work very hard. Simply arrive at work and close your door. Plant office was filled with employees who were clueless about hard work and any notion of progressive improvement.

Cons

I worked there for a few weeks. They had little for me to do. My supervisor never had time for me and let me sit at my desk looking at the walls. Then, he went on vacation for an entire week without telling me and left me with nothing to do. I took long walks around the plant, 2 hour lunches, and short naps. Got the impression that these guys couldn't manage a 2 car funeral procession.

Advice to Management

Hire competent people to supervise. A very sleepy company.

Poor management on top of a terrible union.

Former Employee - Warehouse/Acid Unloads/Maintenance in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Warehouse/Acid Unloads/Maintenance in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Emerald Performance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Benefits and I got to leave alive

Cons

Can't get a raise unless union negotiates it. Policy that management wont hire managers from the union so lack of future opportunities. Everyone is lazy and a back stabber. Good ideas are thrown to the side due to "how we do things". Average age is 54; an entitled 54. Its going to go under I think because they borrow on their raw materials. Real smart money management guys.

Advice to Management

If they would listen, I would say, forget what you have been taught or think is right about who you should hire and do the opposite. Break the union before the whole place sinks.

Chemical plant with real potential, but failing in its attempts

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Henry, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Henry, IL

I have been working at Emerald Performance

Pros

The company pay the plant operators well - operator pay is above average due to the fact that it is a chemical plant. Most people at the plant are friendly to work with.

Cons

Office administration pay is poor. Engineering pay is below average. The management team at the plant does not have leadership skills to operate the plant effectively or efficiently. Poor communication. Very few employees are content working there - a large number of employees are looking elsewhere for a better employment opportunity.

Advice to Management

The plant needs true leadership. All decisions made at the plant level are made from corporate executives with puppets doing their bidding. The plant manager needs his ego stroked frequently, and there are several that do. The majority of the management team at the plant are deceitful. There needs to be more honesty and much better communications.

RSS Feed </> Embed