Emergent BioSolutions

Be The First To
Add Photos

Emergent BioSolutions President & CEO Daniel J. Abdun-Nabi

Daniel J. Abdun-Nabi

Could be a great company depending on which department you work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome great incentives for employees.
    Company culture initiatives.
    Decent benefits
    Company has a lot of potential to grow, not to mention they have the anthrax vaccine market monopolized so there is certainly some job stability in that regard.

Cons-Management is largely inexperienced.
    -Several departments are constantly understaffed and overworked.
    -Turnover rate is high. Retention rate is low. You will spend 3 months training a new staff member and they will proceed to walk out the door just as they have completed enough training to work under less supervision.
    -Amount of mandatory meetings needed to figure out why no work is getting done.
    -Favoritism. It doesn't matter if they don't know how to do their job, they've been with the company 25 years!
    -Salary is not merit based. If you were hired in at the high end of the 'allotted pay bracket', don't expect a raise for a job well done. Regardless of your excellent performance review.
    -Little upward mobility or room for promotion in some departments.
    -Training may be made available, but your supervisor will shift priorities the day before and you will not be able to attend. This will happen for every training. They will then send out surveys asking why staff members don't take advantage of training opportunities.
    -Hard work is rewarded with increased work load, more responsibilities, less time to complete tasks, and no pay increase. Those who don't work as hard are not reprimanded, but instead it is the responsibility of their co-workers to encourage them to pick up the pace.

Challenging

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery talented people, and growing company

ConsAs the company grows through acquisitions, the company struggles with trying to determine who they are and where they want to go.

Oppurtunity for growth, LOTS of political games

Scientist (Current Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsOppurtunities to grow and learn are everywhere in this company. Benefits are great. Merit increase/bonuses are fair.

ConsPeople are over-worked. Not a lot of consideration for work/life balance. Management does not get along and is not shy to admit it.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company Great Employees

Assistant Scientist (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsTraining is good, focused on continuous improvement

ConsUpward mobility is difficult. Shy to promote from within.

Worst Management, Culture, and Ethical Practices in my Career

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThere is a talented pool of employees. Compensation is fair.

ConsThe senior management doesn't value their employees. There are a handful of qualified managers at this company but most are playing dirty political games, scared to advocate for their employees, not adequately educated or experienced, and overall make it near impossible to fullfill their company mission. There are several examples of employees reporting unethical and harrassment offenses to Human Resources without any action. There is virtually no development. They will tell you what they have to, to get you in the door, but then you are bound to do only a version of the job that your (ever-changing) manager will determine is appropriate. There are several employees that live the company's core values (as stated on a poster) but there are also instances where employees have been punished for following the core values leaving employees in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" environment. Employees with limited educational background and poor performance are often promoted while those more qualified are left stagnant in their roles for years at a time. This company is all about who your friends are. Decisions are made based on personal reasons and not on performance or qualification. Regardless of what you are told your job is during your interview, or how great they make the company sound, run as fast as you can to another opportunity. The only place Emergent will take your career, is backwards.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employee feedback, take the survey results seriously, hire ethical leaders who are qualified to perform their roles, hold Human Resources and Management accountable.

Worst Years of My Life at Emergent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsHeath Benefits - Which were needed due to the extreme stress of the job. I used to have panic attacks nearly every day working in the toxic environment. I had horrible insomnia, panic attacks at home, depression, suicidal ideation, and even vomited at work from stress. I really wanted to die.

ConsEXTREMELY TOXIC ENVIRONMENT

Managers would undermine each other instead of working together for the common good; there were cliques of managers who would gang up on other managers with each other.

Good managers would leave the company which made things even worse.

Unproducitve meetings

Yearly reviews were a joke; employees should have been able to confidentially review management. Then again, Corporate probably wouldn't care if they knew the truth about management.

Human Resources was a joke--never any real assistance to me. They truly didn't care about the welfare of the employees. Most times I was afraid to come to HR with any concern about management as I knew they would disclose my confidential information back to the manager and make life even worse.

The company had very high turnover--and for good reason!

Since I've left, most of the few "good apples," have left the company. Such a shame, these people had been there for years with so much knowledge and talent. I'm happy they've left like I did. No kind-hearted person with a conscience deserves to be in that toxic h#ll hole.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs an entire overhaul. I honestly don't know how this company could ever repair itself and make things good for employees. Maybe it should be Government owned and hire only the good employees and fire everyone else. If an outside source from the Government came in and took surveys from employees that were confidential, they would be apalled at what they read. Survey would have to be in paper format and not through a computer system where comments could be tracked to which employees made which comments.

Managers, try caring about your employees and doing your job as a manager! Your job is to make sure your employees have the resources to accomplish company goals.

Toxic environment to work in

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsGreat benefits, inflated job titles

ConsThe people here are cruel to one another. Political games and undermining employees is what drives who gets promoted. Red tape ensures backlogs of work that never seemingly ends. Promotions are only for men- women beware - you will not be promoted and will be seen as aggressive anytime you disagree with the men. Communication is mindless. Culture is discussed but not assessed in a way to make actual changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to see your problems and take action. Stop having everyone in Maryland be a Vice President of something. Start to show you care about your staff and start to empower the personnel to make decisions.

Excellent company to work for!

ProsI love the atmosphere, great learning environment and room for growth. Not only is everyone helpful and understanding, people work together to achieve the ultimate goals.

ConsNo challenges faced during my tenure, as long as you stay focused and keep business and pleasure separate, no issues.

Ineffective company, undesirable culture

ProsThe training opportunities are okay; company is growing; talented employees; comp is pretty good.

ConsVery political; senior management always playing the blame game; senior management doesn't know what they are doing; no direction or solid plans; workload is often heavy; everyone is looking for a new job; the culture leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to make decisions and stick with them; do something to improve the culture instead of talking it to death; treat employees with RESPECT (executives need to learn what that means--the stories are shocking).

Lots of Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsOpportunity for growth and to make a difference.

ConsHeavy workload, poor work-life balance, inconsistent management ability

Advice to Senior ManagementView employees as #1 asset and make decisions accordingly.

Worked for Emergent BioSolutions? Contribute to the Community!