Emeritus Senior Living

Emeritus Senior Living Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Emeritus Senior Living President and Chief Executive Officer Granger Cobb

Granger Cobb

Pros:
  • "My team has been so supportive and I feel that I have the autonomy to make creative decisions that positively affect our employees and residents"
    in 4 reviews
  • "I met a lot of great people, fellow employees who struggled to do the right thing and help families in the face of complete adversity"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "No Christmas bonus to line staff (e"
    in 7 reviews
  • "yes SEVEN resident care directors"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sinking of the Titanic has begun

Executive Director (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

ProsResidents, staff who care about residents, paycheck.

ConsPoor work/life balance. No comp time even when you work 7days a week 70-80hrs each week. Pays on very low end not competitive. Only focus is revenue/occupancy not resident care or taking care of employees. Greedy power hungry upper level management who operate by threats and fear of losing your job. VP constantly saying "I am done with you having 1 to 2 vacant apartments each month" Company culture has changed drastically in last few years. Worse after Frontline story aired. Frontline care staff hours cut to the bare bone, budget cuts, no investing back into communities. It seems company is in big trouble.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk yourselves is this truly the legacy you want to be known for? Don't ask yourselves in the boardroom, but ask yourself this at night when you lay your head down on your pillow.

it is a crap show

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living part-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe residents I guess. no one else makes that place worth a darn.

Conseverything, the pay, lack of professionalism, no concern for their seniors, nursing director does not even know how to type up a darn schedule- she claims to be so smart but yet, she cannot even get herself together. place is going down hill fast.

Advice to Senior Managementhire competent people, stop hiring managers that are not qualified.

Has to be the worst company to work for EVER!!

Anonymous Director Community Level (Current Employee)

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

ProsOf course the residents and some of your co-workers on the community level

ConsEVERYTHING ELSE-
Take a look at the turnover....

Advice to Senior ManagementDivisional and Regional's need to learn how to motivate and manage. All they know how to do is DEMOTIVATE and MICROMANAGE...... They Drain your energy, and don't have a clue how to treat professionals because they are not the least bit professional themselves. Maybe you big corporate VP's should listen to some of these conference calls they love to hold... the brow beating and the way they belittle and try to shame employees is sickening... or maybe this is how you too manage people... I'm not sure. BUT don't you ever wonder why there is such high turnover in YOUR communities??? I can't imagine this is good for business and certainly isn't good for your profits- I'm no genius but after the Frontline story you would think you might try something different ?
But hey I'm just one of your anonymous email employees at the community level what do I know!!!! Oh and BTW...... yes I'm seeking other employment... as fast as I can- as are the other directors

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Avoid unless absolutely necessary.

Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee)
Missoula, MT

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAn income to keep from starving.

ConsLike being on a slave ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees.

my nightmare at Emeritus at Stonecreek Lodge.

Assistant (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living part-time for less than a year

Prosnight building,really nice seniors that live there.

ConsThe 2 ladies that manage the place wear different faces for different folks that live there. They DO NOT treat each person with the same respect and they need to be trained better. Especially when they promise you one thing to get you to moved in and once they have your money,the promises are not kept. And the biggest problem at the Stonecreek location I noticed as an employee is that there is no consistency with the patrons. Some they will listen to but most are treated as just "old folks" that are there waiting to die. And this is the most greedy company that I have ever worked for in my life as they want to charge you for everything. I'm surprised that they don't have a money changer on the elevator. They started in late 2013 to create a charge for people in electric chairs as it was tearing up the floors and you mean a company this big did not have ANY CLUE that this would happen. They take these old folks money and they get VERY little in return. Shame on them!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do a better job in thoroughly checking the people you put into place to represent your establishment as the ones you have there now are embarrassing.

Overworked and underpaid

Resident Assistant (Former Employee)
Folsom, CA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for less than a year

ProsSometimes you get free food. High chance of overtime

ConsCoworkers are catty, if you snitch your the directors favorite worker. They fire people before having someone to replace them and leave current employees working short staffed constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized and appreciate your employees

ESL: Exploitation of Susceptible Life-forms

Dining Services Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI am presently unable to offer any positive comments with regard to my experience working for this senior housing corporation.

ConsMonetary compensation, benefits, working conditions, work load, upper management, unabated greed, deceptive marketing tactics, culture of dishonesty, rampant cronyism, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek psychiatric help.

Cool people, fun deck parties. Awful upper management and pay.

Staff Accountant (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

ProsFun people, high growth industry, good downtown Seattle location. Fun deck parties.

ConsManagement is awful, seems like there is a lot of room to grow your career but you won't be able to change departments. Horrible reputation at their assisted living communities. Really low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the issues within the communities, pay ALL of your employees more (employees at the corporate headquarters and at the communities) you need good press DO SOMETHING about the negative reputation.

A caring place in need of direction

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

ProsThe residents are wonderful. Activities are appropriate and engage the residents most of the time. The building is clean and without odors.

ConsDept. Heads do not communicate well, function together as a team, or even like each other that much. To them, it's just a job and that's how it comes across to others. No sense of connectivity. Corporate leadership is great but community leadership is not so good. The Executive Director seems egocentric and is not very friendly and frequently demeans staff in front of others. She does not project the corporate values at all. She seems over stressed and too concerned with CYA to be concerned about much else. This would be a much better place under different leadership.

Working conditions are TOUGH. This company has a consistently high turnover rate when compared to the other big 3. Very hard to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementPossibly create a role for the ED to have an assistant. Please listen to your people when they complain about leadership on the community level.

Management continued to shift focus

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Prosresidents and their families are tender-hearted

ConsThe company was growing very fast, and did not have training mechanisms in place for staff at their newest community

Worked for Emeritus Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Emeritus Senior Living Videos

Emeritus Senior Living – Why Work for Us?

An Amazing Place to Work Here at Emeritus, an array of special elements come together to make this an incredible place to build a career for those who truly have a passion for service to seniors. Family Helping Family… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Emeritus Senior Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Emeritus Senior Living CEO Granger Cobb. All 205 reviews posted anonymously by Emeritus Senior Living employees.