Emeritus Senior Living Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

2.5

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • My team has been so supportive and I feel that I have the autonomy to make creative decisions that positively affect our employees and residents (in 4 reviews)

• Wages were good, Residents are wonderful, staff, Department Heads are great (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management makes 10 to 20 times more money for doing nothing but demanding more out of care staff (in 7 reviews)

• No Christmas bonus to line staff (e (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working for Emeritus!

Current Employee - Cash Management  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cash Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company culture is focused on our residents and employees. It's supportive and challenging.

Cons

Emeritus is merging with Brookdale Senior Living so the majority of the Seattle presence is being eliminated.

Great Experience

Former Employee - CNA/MAT  in  Broken Arrow, OK
    Former Employee - CNA/MAT in Broken Arrow, OK

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great employers, great pay.

Cons

Stresses of working in geriatrics.

Good teams to work with

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living for more than 10 years

Pros

enjoy the teams i work with and the ability to support others in making a positive work environment

Cons

no real cons at times it was difficult getting responses to requests, however responses eventually came

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Emeritus-Seattle Office

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work culture, location, and work/life balance. Co-workers are extremely nice and fun. Employee Morale is good and fun events are frequent.

Cons

Career Growth is limited while compensation and benefits tend to be on the low end of the scale.

Decent Corporate Office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere. Friendly environment. Opportunities to branch out and get ahead.

Cons

Can be very click-ish. Potential to be blackballed. Very political.

Focus on helping solid employees move ahead, while not arbitrarily awarding sub-par performances.

Great concept.

Current Employee - Dining Services Director
    Current Employee - Dining Services Director

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment. Love the community I work at.

Cons

Better methods of training. Needs better way of training and support from regionals.

More hands on, supportive training for management.

It was a pleasure working with this company.

Former Employee - Resident Assistant
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The residents and their families will make you feel extremely appreciated.

Cons

Management sometimes inconsiderate of nurses and resident assistants.

Good place to start a career and gain some entry level experience, but learning and growth opportunities are limited

Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flex hours, laid back office environment, some cool perks like half days every other Friday during the summer, a few great individual leaders/mentors

Cons

Accounting work was simplistic and not challenging at all, mostly consisting of babysitting and correcting the errors of untrained business office directors at the communities. No real learning opportunities or exposure to advanced accounting concepts, no audit exposure, etc. The experience here was limited and results in a lack of exit opportunities. Growth opportunities exist in terms of moving up within the department, but even that has a lack of variety and depth and is basically just managing people doing the same basic entry level work.

The accounting department also didn't do a good job of promoting. In my time there they moved at least two people into management who were great doers but terrible leaders, resulting in unhappy, mistreated staff. There were a few great people moved up also, but the percentage of misses was too high

Pay and benefits were both at the bottom of the Seattle market.

Job From Hell due to Poor Management

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoyed the residents and the creativity of the job. I was there for approximately one year.

Cons

Too many to list. Mainly management showed zero respect for employees. Some of us were treated very badly. A terrible experience for me!

Hopely your new takeover company, Brookdale Senior Living, will clean house and bring in new management

completely unethical, disheartening and dishonest

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

wonderful residents, the building had a nice atmosphere

Cons

Ethics first hotline is a joke and does nothing more than fulfill a requirement. Receive no support or response as a result of using this hotline. Upper management within the facility and Corporate does not follow their own policies and ethics. Do not hold people accountable for their actions. Fail to address concerns of neglect, care issues, protect residents and their rights and investigate properly. Allow unqualified, oblivious, incompetent people to hold positions they should not. Allow and encourage bullying, retaliation, dishonesty and cover up to protect themselves rather than the residents. Completely dishonest in numerous areas, [payroll, health insurance offerings, state surveys to name just a few] and seem to have a lot of influence and/or power with various government entities. Admit residents that require much more care and monitoring than a less than experienced, skeleton staff can handle safely, which would also include med techs whose training is far from adequate as well as fail to possess needed knowledge about diseases let alone the medications they are handing out. No teamwork or support in and from upper management. Daily activities provided to residents is pitiful, no encouragement to attend, nothing stimulating provided to those with dementia. Resident autonomy is not encouraged or fostered. Fail to involve, educate, provide choices to residents regarding their care, illness, billing. Fail to provide diabetic and other prescribed diets. I can go on, but feel it senseless.

acknowledge, investigate and personally address the users of the ethics first hotline and in an ethical manner. Dont find fault or place blame on the users of the hotline as a result of your own wrong doing. Hold people accountable, follow adopted policy, procedure and ethics. Be more attentive to concerns raised by staff. Provide better and more extensive training to the med techs, with better pay. Quit admitting or keeping residents that are medically unstable, require to much assistance with ADL's. Increase staff. Reward honesty and commitment of staff who value providing good, high quality care. Quit focusing on dollar amounts. Focus on providing quality care and giving the residents the value they pay for. Here too I could go on and on. READ YOUR REVIEWS and take what people say or feel as bad going on and take it to heart. You encourage these people who have concerns to put them to the ETHICS FIRST hotline, I suggest you actually formally communicate with these people, let them know what you are doing about it, and prove it.

Worked for Emeritus Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!