Emeritus Senior Living Reviews

Updated March 21, 2015
305 reviews filtered by
2.8
T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • enjoy the teams i work with and the ability to support others in making a positive work environment (in 10 reviews)

• I look forward to coming to work everyday (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management within the facility and Corporate does not follow their own policies and ethics (in 8 reviews)

• Everyone sleeps with each other in empty rooms the residents are not a priority here (in 75 reviews)

1. Alz Assisted Living

Former Employee - Business Office Director
    Former Employee - Business Office Director

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with seniors. Positive impact in families and the community. Nice environment and building. Furniture and decor was replaced every 2 years.

Cons

Low pay. Even though I was a director I was not exempt. Not much corporate support. Getting attached to residents then they pass away. Food was not that great. Frequent changes in management.

2. Wonderful place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Great people. With many growth years, there have been lots of opportunities to learn and advance. Communication is good both within and between departments. Employees are treated to great gatherings, parties, and events.
    Great location next to the Olympic Sculpture park and Seattle Center. Many take advantage of walking along Elliott Bay, or working out at the company sponsored membership at Rain Fitness across the road.
    Very low turnover. Everyone is happy working here so few people leave.

Cons

With the growth of the Seattle office, one or two departments have become more fraternal and less cooperative with other teams. It's now common now to hear "That's not my job", instead of "Hang on, let me see what I can do." Hiring for open positions can be biased in favor of team member than someone from another department, or someone from outside the company.

NA

3. I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Emeritus has been an absolutely wonderful place to work. My department really has established a great dynamic and the culture has been wonderful. Everyone is friendly and they hire truly amazing people.

Cons

Unfortunately, Emeritus is now Brookdale Senior Living and the work dynamics have changed significantly with the Seattle Office being eliminated and the new Brookdale policies. Still a great company to work at, just very different.

5. Corporate life is the good life

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing positive and laid back environment/culture, Free food and drinks regularly (stocked fridges) managers tried to take care of employees, provided regular, consistent feedback and even top level management had an open door policy.

Awesome coworkers, flexible schedule, monthly parties to celebrate birthdays, new hires and anniversaries, boozy Holiday party. Almost impossible to get fired. Some departments allowed dogs in the office.

Cons

Too many employees didn't pull their weight and nothing was done. Other employees asked to pick up the slack but never ramifications for the lazy one. We had several in our department who clearly to advantage of the managers trust by disappearing for hours on end and then didn't get their work done.

Too hard to move up and around unless you've been there for several years. Low turnover in most departments so openings were few and far between. I regularly asked my boss for additional work that wasn't available because others with longer tenure had already taken the projects.

Shouldn't have merged. The employees loved working here and the environment you created.

6. Terrible work environment.

Former Employee - Activity Assistant in Danville, CA
    Former Employee - Activity Assistant in Danville, CA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Amazing friendships with seniors, but not encouraged by management - somehow luckily you will have them anyway.

Cons

Office culture is not to be trusted, company values are not followed. Proof? 3 people including my immediate boss were fired. All very hard working people who loved seniors dearly.

Pay attention to employees who love seniors. do not leave them disillusioned, reward them. Support friendships that employees develop with seniors instead of clinging to a paranoid management style that believes conversations are "out to get" management. Conversations make the day for residents.

7. Emeritus

Former Employee - Manager, Corporate Office in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager, Corporate Office in Seattle, WA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Good company values, reviews completed on time, recognition of tenure, birthdays, and new employees. Working at the corporate office might be different than at the communities.

Cons

Out of pocket portions were high for health benefits. Wages were not competitive making it hard to keep good people.

8. It was an experience that taught me a lot from many aspects of the job.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cross training afforded me the opportunity to gain a lot of skills and knowledge that I may not have gotten anywhere else.

Cons

The responsibility of what I knew and learned was extremely challenging.

9. Fulfilling

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Smyrna, GA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

facility was great it gives you that feeling of security.

Cons

Pay sucks! And physically,emotionally,mentally stressful

annually race for the employees...cause they deserve it.

10. Emeritus has been a positive work experience all the way around..great company, employees, brand statement.

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Wonderful culture here at Emeritus! Emeritus takes care of their residents, employees, and vendors.

Cons

Brookdale Senior Living bought Emeritus Senior Living. Have already seen changes..and not for the better.

11. Excellent

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Very inclusive and cheerful atmosphere. Mean spirited people not tolerated for long.

Cons

Merger potential and lack of ongoing employment

NA