Emeritus Senior Living

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
2.8

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • enjoy the teams i work with and the ability to support others in making a positive work environment (in 10 reviews)

• I look forward to coming to work everyday (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management within the facility and Corporate does not follow their own policies and ethics (in 8 reviews)

• Everyone sleeps with each other in empty rooms the residents are not a priority here (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Emeritus has been a positive work experience all the way around..great company, employees, brand statement.

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Wonderful culture here at Emeritus! Emeritus takes care of their residents, employees, and vendors.

Cons

Brookdale Senior Living bought Emeritus Senior Living. Have already seen changes..and not for the better.

Excellent

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Very inclusive and cheerful atmosphere. Mean spirited people not tolerated for long.

Cons

Merger potential and lack of ongoing employment

NA

Loved it at Emeritus! (Not Brookdale)

Current Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The culture, the people, the location of the corporate office. Emeritus has now merged with Brookdale so you can no longer work for this great company.

Cons

Salaries are low for the Seattle market. Now that the company is part of Brookdale, I would not suggest this employer to a friend.

Advice to Emeritus would have been to Increase salaries. Advice to Brookdale would be to communicate better within the corporate office (between departments) and to the employees in the communities.

Good for Me, for the first few years. Recently, merged with Brookdale and many Emeritus employees lost their jobs

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a corporate environment, so you are more likely to receive timely work reviews and increases. Professional employees. Some enjoyable perks to be had. there was plenty of advancement opportunites, varied work-so could be interesting

Cons

Can be micro managed at all levels. locked compensation company wide(during Emeritus), meaning if you deserve more than a 3% increase it was difficult to get.

Make your focus about your customers--the elderly--and less about your sales quotas.

It was a sad day when Emeritus and Brookdale merged

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Emeritus' culture and people. It was truly a family like atmosphere and it was a privilege to be a part of it.

Cons

Brookdale's culture and employees. I have never seen co-workers/peers treat each other like this. Finger pointing is the norm when somthing goes wrong.

Where's the management

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Brandon, MS
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Brandon, MS

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pros of this job is that you get to help the elderly. It makes such a difference in the lives of some of them who have no one. It's truly a gift to share your compassion with these people, if that is genuinely your calling.

Cons

This facility's management does not appear to have the best interest of it's residents or employees in mind. I fail to see the compassion, care or concern!

My advice would be to take time to do what's best for the residents and employees. I rarely see any of management actually engage with the residents or take time to ask just what it is that they could do to make their stay their more pleasant.

Where to start..

Former Employee - Wait Staff in Edgewood, KY
    Former Employee - Wait Staff in Edgewood, KY

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Residents were wonderful to work with, made my job that much better

Cons

RA's cared more about money than the residents care. Management shifts blame rather than taking responsibility and fixing the issues. Kitchen was disgusting and the food served was worse than any public school imaginable. The fact that the residents pay out of pocket for an overcooked hot dog on a stale bun is beyond me. Not enough staff to care properly for residents and some RA list more care options for certain resident that they don't like so families have to pay more. Turn over rate is very high

Listen to workers, be more hands on with residents and staff

Catty from day 1, including management

Former Employee - Wellness Nurse in Mentor, OH
    Former Employee - Wellness Nurse in Mentor, OH

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Decent pay for a new grad, even seasoned nurses get the same pay

Cons

The main challenge was the unprofessionalism.. Management had their favorites and they would run and make things up to deliberately get you the boot if you weren't on their side. The worst part experience ever. There were a few good nurses but the rest were like gossiping high school girls.Also a month after being hired, my position was eliminated.

You come to work to care for the residents, not to make friends.

Low Pay, Hard Work, Unreliable Employer, No Formal Training

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Ashland, OR
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Ashland, OR

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living (more than a year)

Pros

They expect you to quit; you're incredibly unlikely to get fired and therefore are provided with strong job security even if the full time hours that you get promised on hire aren't ultimately provided later on. Some resident assistants have been directly responsible for the forming of bed sores and weren't so much as investigated. You can get away with anything.
    If you just want to get your foot in the door for the medical field, this is a good place to start. All assisted living facilities require zero experience in the field from their employees but it is demanded that you perform skilled nursing tasks, regardless.
    You can print out certificates saying that you were trained in certain areas, but it's just quick tutorials on the computer; even when it's called for within that course that a class seminar be provided.
    They provide lunch at monthly meetings at this time; previously they offered $5 gift cards for Subway if you were chosen at random and able to correctly answer their quiz concerning the company's "family values."

Cons

It's either up or out - the only way to get past the med tech position ($10/hr) is to go to college. If you're going to go through college for your career, seek work in a functional environment elsewhere.
    We spend too much time working in dining room as resident assistants; not enough with residents. It puts me behind with my own job to also have full dining hall responsibilities and then also puts the kitchen behind because John Smith took a long time needing assistance on the toilet that day.
    Pressured to come in sick every time - even if employees provide notice more than eight hours in advance when the law requires only two hours advance notice.
    All employees regularly talk about how much they hate attending their job; how demanding and unrewarding the company tends to be. "Thankless job." If you tell and your fellow coworkers bring attention to a specific resident who requires more care, the initial reaction from management is to argue that they don't and you're all wrong.
    The executive director for assisted living has been accused of maintaining an unprofessional work attitude for a very long time and continues the same practices.
    Dangerously high turnover rate - have averaged at consistently losing about two employees every month for the full year I've worked there. Under-staffing happens frequently, forcing employees to take double shifts and only get a few days off for the entire month, which is remedied with over-staffing which puts employees then in a position to not have enough hours for that month or two to pay their bills. Be ready to file for unemployment insurance at some point, if you accept this job.
    Employee training is inadequate; even if they expect you to pick someone off the floor (90+ lbs) by yourself, or provide a two-person assist for someone who has an order to bear no weight (which means their feet must be completely off the floor), they will not provide you with training on how to perform these tasks prior to asking that you do so on the floor. It's a major safety hazard for employees and Emeritus isn't worth risking permanent injury for just so they don't have to pay you more so that a hoyer lift can be used within the facility.
    Scheduling is inconsistent and subject to change; we're all very lucky if we know which days we're supposed to be coming in for the next week since it's rarely posted. Had one of my coworkers tell me that she was in a position where she just wouldn't make plans for the holidays anymore - Emeritus definitely expects your life to belong to them.
    Communication is shamefully poor - it's hard to get the same answer to a simple question from everyone and they change their minds on protocol and resident care expectations frequently.
    I'd get paid more working as a grocer anywhere in the State of Oregon than for wiping feces off someone's rear while they're unable to support their own weight at Emeritus.
    It's getting worse now because we were already struggling to care for the elderly with all the demands on us but now we're also expected to accommodate their deaths even though we have no training, extremely limited time for residents, and are not allowed to feed residents who are unable to do so themselves.

Care about your employees.
    The biggest reason I left Emeritus was because nothing I requested to better my job experience was followed through on (in spite of my following up on those requests for months afterwords). I know many ex-employees who resigned over basic safety concerns and overworking.
    Management is encouraged to spy on and bully employees in order to get better results from their work. It's not an effective method and hasn't accomplished more (to my knowledge) than to breed resentment against the company and the higher-ups themselves. This style of management puts employees in a position to feel nothing but condescended when their supervisor claims that they're appreciated. This is an upwards of $13/hr job if you go through the proper training requirements and you're paying under $10, still claiming the wages to be "competitive."
    Care about your residents.
    I was given responsibility over approx. twenty apartments but only provided with 120 min. to care for every resident on my floor. It was mathematically impossible for me to provide ten minutes of care for each of my residents each morning even without figuring in time for shift change reports, checking the TCP notes, reviewing the shower schedule, etc. These people are paying a lot of money to live in your facility and ripping them off with under-staffing like this is morally repulsive when basic math skills and common sense is all that's required to figure out whether you have everything you need to provide these geriatric community members with adequate care.

I enjoy working at Emeritus Sr Living in the Seattle Corporate Office. The environment and culture are amazing.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management style is very team oriented. There really is no micro-managing and the continual trainings keep us up to date on the latest laws and government actions.

Cons

The commute is a bit of a drag; however the view from the balcony of the building makes it worth it. The Seattle skyline is definitely a job perk.

Pay better! People are doing a lot of hard work to make the company a success. When an employee has devoted years to the company...pay them for their loyalty.

Emeritus Senior Living Photos