Emeritus Senior Living Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.0
T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • There are monthly events to help ease the work environment, so that everyone is having fun on the job (in 10 reviews)

• I look forward to coming to work everyday (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management continue to push census without concern of Residents care, bottom line was (in 8 reviews)

• Not by you're hard dedication towards the residents (in 75 reviews)

1. Resident care director

Former Employee - Health and Wellness Director in Cordova, TN
    Former Employee - Health and Wellness Director in Cordova, TN

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and perks for management positions

Cons

On call 24/7 365 days per year

Steer Clear!!!!

Former Employee - Resident Care Associate in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Resident Care Associate in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living (Less than a year)

Pros

YOU ACTUALLY GOT 1 STAR DUE TO NOT BEING ABLE TO GIVE A TRUE RATING OF 0!!!! ABSOLUTELY NO PROS WITH WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY!

Cons

Underpaid and Overworked, DRAMA, unprofessional management staff, no teamwork and those who went above and beyond were treated poorly. Patients needing nursing home care and with staff under the influence of alcohol.

Advice to Management

COME OUT OF YOUR OFFICE AND ACTUALLY MANAGE!

poor work

Former Employee - Maintenance in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros really here unless they will pay the workers worth and maintain the equipment

Cons

Little pay for amount of work done unsafe work environment

Advice to Management

Do better summarize the situation before acting

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Panama City, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Panama City, FL

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being with the residents and their families is the only positive feature.

Cons

Care and services are horrible. Very expensive.

Advice to Management

Live up to the mission statement and core values

Lesson Learned

Pros

After the union was voted out, things got a little bit better. Wages was a little bit better.

Cons

Management was more dictators than team players. The place is run like a nursing home instead of an Assisted Living Facility.

Dietary Director

Former Employee - Hospitality Manager
    Former Employee - Hospitality Manager

Pros

The residents can be difficult at times, but it can be very rewarding to work with this population. The job can be very satisfying at times.

Cons

The company, whether it is Emeritus or Brookdale, only gives the director less than 5.00 a DAY to feed each residents. This includes all three meals, their guests, the snacks AND the marketing endeavors that are heaped on. The companies are only interested in the bottom line. The upper managers/directors are crooked. There was embezzling, fraudulent time keeping, assigning more work than there is time and I could go on and on. I stayed 4 years, but I was the longest last manager at my establishment. They expect a lot for small salaries and bonuses that they promise....they have to be hounded and reminded and hounded some more. They are not trustworthy or honest... Brookdale is not any better.

Advice to Management

Give the employees some recognition, praise, understanding even empathy. Pay them what is promised. Make sure they get their bonuses. Ensure raises are fair. Give them incentive to stay. I worked upwards from 50 hours a week. I was hourly and was not getting paid to work the extra hours. My employment records were falsified by management for 2 years and they refused to pay me for the back pay. The place is always understaffed. There is not time to train, because we are working managers, so we have a job to do..very frustrating job...

Horrible company

Former Employee - Dining Services Director in Zanesville, OH
    Former Employee - Dining Services Director in Zanesville, OH

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The residents...that's the only positive thing about this company.

Cons

Everything is horrible here. I worked for this company for 12 years and they treated me horrible. Over worked and under paid. They don't care about the residents at all I was in management and I knew what is talked about behind closed doors and the only thing they cared about was getting more money and where they could cut hours!

Advice to Management

Actually care about your residents and employees! Don't treat them like crap and just want their money. Staff your building to what is best not by what you can bonus on!!

Brookdale is detached from the communities it should be supporting.

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was excited to be part of a large organization because of the potential of growth.

Cons

Brookdale structures the staff of it's builldings at a minimal level which creates burn out and resentment toward the company. Ironically the expectation is to continually push for higher levels of care without backing it with labor hours which creates an truly unsafe enviorment for frail and vulnerable residents. The employee retention rate for Directors and other key managers is very low which is unsettling for family and residents. IT is overwhelmed and cannot keep up with the continual failing computer issues. It is ytpically a 4-5 week turn around to get a new computer or have one repaired. While this has been acknowledged, there is no gratus if work is not completed timely. Lastly, there is no life/work balance. As an ED I routinely get non-emergency texts and calls from my Regional team on the weekend and inappropriate hours.

Advice to Management

Visit your communities. See the hard work that is being done on behalf of the residents and stock holders. Tell us we are doing great. Let us hear a message of "thanks" or give us an inspiring talk instead of the canned "we must please the stock holders" speech.

Working with the elderly is great

Former Employee - Business Office Director in Rancho Mirage, CA
    Former Employee - Business Office Director in Rancho Mirage, CA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Helping the residents was rewarding

Cons

Executive Director had no ethic values and made very poor ethic decisions when it came to the company, the employees, the community and even the residents that live there.

Advice to Management

To take a closer look at this Executive Director and pay attention to her ethic leadership. Many organizations have a formal code of conduct that describes the principles and guidelines that ALL members must follow. It's not always about the bottom line. Take care of your frontline team members.

poor.

Current Employee - Medication Aide CNA in Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Medication Aide CNA in Harrisonburg, VA

Pros

residents are AWESOME!!!! the girls i work with are amazing (my shift).

Cons

management is awful.. they don't care about their employees : all they care about is if the floor is covered. they walk around with dip in their mouths ; they sit in their offices on their cell phones all day. we are always having to stay over or come in early because nobody comes into work on time or they call out! they don't want to give raises. Med Techs make $ 9.50 (kitchen also makes $9+) Management doesn't have a clue what is going on around here because they're always in their office. we have employees who come to work high and they don't even do anything about it! ( thats AWESOME management right there). Something needs to be done because as of now emeritus at harrisonburg is going down here. we are loosing residents and employees! we also work short staffed every day! legally the minimum number of employees we are supposed to have working the floor ( on one side) is 3 people! almost everyday there is only one or two people!!! EMERITUS SUCKS!!!

Advice to Management

get new management or the place isnt going to be up in running within the next year or so.

RSS Feed </> Embed