Emeritus Senior Living

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.6

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • My team has been so supportive and I feel that I have the autonomy to make creative decisions that positively affect our employees and residents (in 4 reviews)

• Wages were good, Residents are wonderful, staff, Department Heads are great (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management makes 10 to 20 times more money for doing nothing but demanding more out of care staff (in 7 reviews)

• No Christmas bonus to line staff (e (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Job From Hell due to Poor Management

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoyed the residents and the creativity of the job. I was there for approximately one year.

Cons

Too many to list. Mainly management showed zero respect for employees. Some of us were treated very badly. A terrible experience for me!

Hopely your new takeover company, Brookdale Senior Living, will clean house and bring in new management

completely unethical, disheartening and dishonest

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

wonderful residents, the building had a nice atmosphere

Cons

Ethics first hotline is a joke and does nothing more than fulfill a requirement. Receive no support or response as a result of using this hotline. Upper management within the facility and Corporate does not follow their own policies and ethics. Do not hold people accountable for their actions. Fail to address concerns of neglect, care issues, protect residents and their rights and investigate properly. Allow unqualified, oblivious, incompetent people to hold positions they should not. Allow and encourage bullying, retaliation, dishonesty and cover up to protect themselves rather than the residents. Completely dishonest in numerous areas, [payroll, health insurance offerings, state surveys to name just a few] and seem to have a lot of influence and/or power with various government entities. Admit residents that require much more care and monitoring than a less than experienced, skeleton staff can handle safely, which would also include med techs whose training is far from adequate as well as fail to possess needed knowledge about diseases let alone the medications they are handing out. No teamwork or support in and from upper management. Daily activities provided to residents is pitiful, no encouragement to attend, nothing stimulating provided to those with dementia. Resident autonomy is not encouraged or fostered. Fail to involve, educate, provide choices to residents regarding their care, illness, billing. Fail to provide diabetic and other prescribed diets. I can go on, but feel it senseless.

acknowledge, investigate and personally address the users of the ethics first hotline and in an ethical manner. Dont find fault or place blame on the users of the hotline as a result of your own wrong doing. Hold people accountable, follow adopted policy, procedure and ethics. Be more attentive to concerns raised by staff. Provide better and more extensive training to the med techs, with better pay. Quit admitting or keeping residents that are medically unstable, require to much assistance with ADL's. Increase staff. Reward honesty and commitment of staff who value providing good, high quality care. Quit focusing on dollar amounts. Focus on providing quality care and giving the residents the value they pay for. Here too I could go on and on. READ YOUR REVIEWS and take what people say or feel as bad going on and take it to heart. You encourage these people who have concerns to put them to the ETHICS FIRST hotline, I suggest you actually formally communicate with these people, let them know what you are doing about it, and prove it.

Stressful and frustrating!

Former Employee - LVN  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - LVN in San Diego, CA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Taking care of residents and learning about their lives. Being close to co-workers and working together. Pretty good insurance.

Cons

Not staffing properly, working too many hours, moving in residents that required more help that the facility was not able to provide.

Support the people who work the floor!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boys Club Rules

Former Employee - Divisional  in  Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Divisional in Miramar, FL

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time

Pros

A multitude of opportunity to overcome challenge

Cons

Decisions made based on whether you are in the club or not. Complete disregard for logic and decisions that are ethical. Everyone cow tows to the executive boys club. It is a toxic environment. Maybe the sale to Brookdale will get rid of some of them.

Focus less on reports and statistics and software compliance and make rounds and take care of people. Learn that your pals aren't going to get you results, the hard working people with morales and ethics will!

Life and Death in Emeritus Assisted Living is true.

Current Employee - Slave  in  Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Slave in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Seniors and Co workers. Good parking close to building.

Cons

Upper management, regional teams and divisional team and above are greedy money Grubbers who don't really care about residents or employees doing the real work. Entire focus is on occupancy and money. They force everyone to be a sales person all the way down to maintenance man. They train everyone to be slick sales people pretending to care and saying all the right things. Turnover of sales Crds is ridiculous as company expects them to keep building at 100% or else. They work 7 days a week to try and do it with no comp time or money.

You will have to answer to God one day don't kid yourself you are not making a difference to anyone but your own pocket book. You will be old one day and karma will get you. Don't say to go to Ethics First as its a joke they do not help anyone. It's a system to find out who to fire for complaining and reporting issues up. I've reported many times to no avail.

Poor work environment, overworked and underpaid, Director disconnected from staff

Former Employee - Wait Staff  in  Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Wait Staff in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living part-time

Pros

The seniors who live there are a pleasure but unfortunately they are not treated with the dignity and respect that they deserve. There are some staff members who truly care but they are under the thumbs of the supervisors who only care about getting as much work out of them with as little pay as possible.

Cons

Extremely understaffed because they can't keep employess so the ones who stay have to do thd work of 4 with little compensation and no appreciation.

Get involved with staff. Be more proactive in what is really going on with the functionality of the facility. Listen to employees! Keep the good staff members by watching and get rid of the dead weight and bad seeds.

Revolving door

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time

Pros

Mission is great on paper/theory

Cons

ED who hired me was gone before I started . The next ED is already gone. (1 year time lapse) RCD was fired (after being originially hired as ED, then demoted once a background check revealed some questionable things). After going through 4 people in this position, they are on the 5th RCD in about one year. Already on their 2nd SSD, In that same year, this community is on their 4th LED as well as the 3rd official DSD, could have been 4 but one accepted the job but then declined just before orientation. They are on the 2nd CRD in one year. That is entirely too much turnover of management

Open your eyes. Be honest. You might want to start looking out for the people

Very depressing

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

The people I work with not upper mngmt they are terrible

Cons

They are putting uncertified people on the floor to pass medication and that scares me

Stop putting uncertified people on the floor to pass medications avoid a terrible accident from happening

Robbing old people of money and dignity one resident at a time.

Current Employee - Cook
    Current Employee - Cook

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

N/A there are not any good things about this company

Cons

Poor pay
    Poor management
    Dirty Facilities
    Your family member will parish here

Start managing and actually hire smart people

" Worst Job of my Life. I was very verbally abused. Would never work there EVER again. "

Former Employee - Resident Assistant  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good Residents. They had amazing residents that you quickly fall in love with. Working in MC they had a good policy on who was a right fit for us and I never felt like they put us in danger with anyone like with previous employers.
    - Good Benefits. The benefits offered were decently priced.
    - Set Hours. I was given a set schedule and days off that I requested. There was also on call people for coverage. I never had to worry at the time of my hours getting cut often.

Cons

- Poor Management. Our management was not involved in our problems and used the coworkers to tell them what was going on. Unfortunately this caused a lot of chaos and misunderstanding. They basically were in their office and didn't really feel like they cared much for their employees. We were just something easily replaced.
    - Promotion only to Favorites/NO PROMOTION Opportunities. Basically if you kiss the managers butt hard enough and talk poorly of you're coworkers you are promoted. Not by you're hard dedication towards the residents. You're hard work does not shine through in this company and when you ask to speak to corporate about it the HR about you're options or a complaint they will re-direct you each time. Good luck.
    - Team Members. They say who you work with makes the difference. At this SPECIAL Emeritus there was a set of coworkers in MC that not only treated you horrible if you were new, were mean to the residents as well. Was not giving proper care and would blame you for the problem. They are always following you around, harassing new caregivers. I once worked where a new person went home crying after her first day. Management is aware but yet encourages the bullying. I ended up leaving for another job where I was promoted to Supervisor after two months where I could flourish. You will not be promoted here unless you are mean and rude to you're team mates. They will not help you even if it is helping with a resident's needs that suffers. It hurt me to stay there when I had loved the residents so much to see them suffer for my coworker's dramas.

Please fix management at this Emeritus (Or I suppose it's Brookdale now?) It has a very bad reputation in the community. Many coworkers from my other caregiving job have also talked about the abuse they received as

Worked for Emeritus Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!