Emeritus Senior Living

Updated August 11, 2014

2.5

Emeritus Senior Living President and Chief Executive Officer Granger Cobb
Granger Cobb

Pros
  • My team has been so supportive and I feel that I have the autonomy to make creative decisions that positively affect our employees and residents (in 4 reviews)

• Wages were good, Residents are wonderful, staff, Department Heads are great (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management makes 10 to 20 times more money for doing nothing but demanding more out of care staff (in 7 reviews)

• No Christmas bonus to line staff (e (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Stressful and frustrating!

Former Employee - LVN  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - LVN in San Diego, CA

Pros

Taking care of residents and learning about their lives. Being close to co-workers and working together. Pretty good insurance.

Cons

Not staffing properly, working too many hours, moving in residents that required more help that the facility was not able to provide.

Support the people who work the floor!

Boys Club Rules

Former Employee - Divisional  in  Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Divisional in Miramar, FL

Pros

A multitude of opportunity to overcome challenge

Cons

Decisions made based on whether you are in the club or not. Complete disregard for logic and decisions that are ethical. Everyone cow tows to the executive boys club. It is a toxic environment. Maybe the sale to Brookdale will get rid of some of them.

Focus less on reports and statistics and software compliance and make rounds and take care of people. Learn that your pals aren't going to get you results, the hard working people with morales and ethics will!

Life and Death in Emeritus Assisted Living is true.

Current Employee - Slave  in  Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Slave in Puyallup, WA

Pros

Seniors and Co workers. Good parking close to building.

Cons

Upper management, regional teams and divisional team and above are greedy money Grubbers who don't really care about residents or employees doing the real work. Entire focus is on occupancy and money. They force everyone to be a sales person all the way down to maintenance man. They train everyone to be slick sales people pretending to care and saying all the right things. Turnover of sales Crds is ridiculous as company expects them to keep building at 100% or else. They work 7 days a week to try and do it with no comp time or money.

You will have to answer to God one day don't kid yourself you are not making a difference to anyone but your own pocket book. You will be old one day and karma will get you. Don't say to go to Ethics First as its a joke they do not help anyone. It's a system to find out who to fire for complaining and reporting issues up. I've reported many times to no avail.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor work environment, overworked and underpaid, Director disconnected from staff

Former Employee - Wait Staff  in  Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Wait Staff in Hagerstown, MD

Pros

The seniors who live there are a pleasure but unfortunately they are not treated with the dignity and respect that they deserve. There are some staff members who truly care but they are under the thumbs of the supervisors who only care about getting as much work out of them with as little pay as possible.

Cons

Extremely understaffed because they can't keep employess so the ones who stay have to do thd work of 4 with little compensation and no appreciation.

Get involved with staff. Be more proactive in what is really going on with the functionality of the facility. Listen to employees! Keep the good staff members by watching and get rid of the dead weight and bad seeds.

Revolving door

Pros

Mission is great on paper/theory

Cons

ED who hired me was gone before I started . The next ED is already gone. (1 year time lapse) RCD was fired (after being originially hired as ED, then demoted once a background check revealed some questionable things). After going through 4 people in this position, they are on the 5th RCD in about one year. Already on their 2nd SSD, In that same year, this community is on their 4th LED as well as the 3rd official DSD, could have been 4 but one accepted the job but then declined just before orientation. They are on the 2nd CRD in one year. That is entirely too much turnover of management

Open your eyes. Be honest. You might want to start looking out for the people

Very depressing

Pros

The people I work with not upper mngmt they are terrible

Cons

They are putting uncertified people on the floor to pass medication and that scares me

Stop putting uncertified people on the floor to pass medications avoid a terrible accident from happening

Robbing old people of money and dignity one resident at a time.

Current Employee - Cook
    Current Employee - Cook

Pros

N/A there are not any good things about this company

Cons

Poor pay
    Poor management
    Dirty Facilities
    Your family member will parish here

Start managing and actually hire smart people

" Worst Job of my Life. I was very verbally abused. Would never work there EVER again. "

Former Employee - Resident Assistant  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Santa Rosa, CA

Pros

- Good Residents. They had amazing residents that you quickly fall in love with. Working in MC they had a good policy on who was a right fit for us and I never felt like they put us in danger with anyone like with previous employers.
    - Good Benefits. The benefits offered were decently priced.
    - Set Hours. I was given a set schedule and days off that I requested. There was also on call people for coverage. I never had to worry at the time of my hours getting cut often.

Cons

- Poor Management. Our management was not involved in our problems and used the coworkers to tell them what was going on. Unfortunately this caused a lot of chaos and misunderstanding. They basically were in their office and didn't really feel like they cared much for their employees. We were just something easily replaced.
    - Promotion only to Favorites/NO PROMOTION Opportunities. Basically if you kiss the managers butt hard enough and talk poorly of you're coworkers you are promoted. Not by you're hard dedication towards the residents. You're hard work does not shine through in this company and when you ask to speak to corporate about it the HR about you're options or a complaint they will re-direct you each time. Good luck.
    - Team Members. They say who you work with makes the difference. At this SPECIAL Emeritus there was a set of coworkers in MC that not only treated you horrible if you were new, were mean to the residents as well. Was not giving proper care and would blame you for the problem. They are always following you around, harassing new caregivers. I once worked where a new person went home crying after her first day. Management is aware but yet encourages the bullying. I ended up leaving for another job where I was promoted to Supervisor after two months where I could flourish. You will not be promoted here unless you are mean and rude to you're team mates. They will not help you even if it is helping with a resident's needs that suffers. It hurt me to stay there when I had loved the residents so much to see them suffer for my coworker's dramas.

Please fix management at this Emeritus (Or I suppose it's Brookdale now?) It has a very bad reputation in the community. Many coworkers from my other caregiving job have also talked about the abuse they received as

One Of the work experience in my life.

Former Employee - RCD  in  Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - RCD in Allentown, PA

Pros

Pay was above average. Otherwise no other pros to speak of unless you like abuse. Stay away far away.

Cons

Expected to travel on a whim. I was expected to drive 5 hours one way work 8 and drive back home. On call 24/7 therefore no sleep. Long hours. Lack of respect from the corp office. Terminate employees on a weekly basis.

Train your employees. Allow management to do their jobs. No manager can turn around a problem building in 6 months. Do not expect management to work 24/7. There needs to be a balance between work and family. Give the residents what they are paying for. Constant staff turn around is not good for the resident. Sell your buildings you should not be in business.

There is a reason Brookdale bought Emeritus and not the other way around.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

This company has no redeeming values. Its all bait and switch. Its all about the Benjamin's. And its all smoke and mirrors. Our family is committed to take every last dollar our of your families pocket and provide little or no service in exchange.

Cons

They keep moving around the same losers. If you fail here, no problem, we will move you someplace else. Most regional personal are unqualified sycophants just looking to keep there job. The executive directors have a lifespan of less then 18 months. constant turnover of losers. managers have zero say in how best to run there local communities. its a cookie cutter mentality that does not work. The pay is horrendous, the raises are laughable and most employees cannot afford the benefits so emeritus makes out on both ends.

You suck and most of you will be fired when brookdale takes over. But, don't worry because this industry feeds off the same losers so you will pop up somewhere else. People things wont change unless we get some government regulation going here. lots of money is being spent by families trying to do what's best for there loves ones. They can pay upwards up $6000 per month only to have $5.00 per day food and non-English speaking $9.00 per hour person taking care of there loved one. If you must put your loved one in an assisted living facility go to a non-for-profit community. STAY AWAY FROM FOR PROFIT COMMUNITIES.

Worked for Emeritus Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!