Emeritus Senior Living

Emeritus Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Emeritus Senior Living President and Chief Executive Officer Granger Cobb

Granger Cobb

Pros:
  • "My team has been so supportive and I feel that I have the autonomy to make creative decisions that positively affect our employees and residents"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Emeritus supports the growth of their employees and wants to make a difference every day in the lives of the seniors entrusted th their care"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "No Christmas bonus to line staff (e"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Upper mangment just here to make as much money off of the residents as possible"
    in 48 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

" Worst Job of my Life. I was very verbally abused. Would never work there EVER again. "

Resident Assistant (Former Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

Pros- Good Residents. They had amazing residents that you quickly fall in love with. Working in MC they had a good policy on who was a right fit for us and I never felt like they put us in danger with anyone like with previous employers.
    - Good Benefits. The benefits offered were decently priced.
    - Set Hours. I was given a set schedule and days off that I requested. There was also on call people for coverage. I never had to worry at the time of my hours getting cut often.

Cons- Poor Management. Our management was not involved in our problems and used the coworkers to tell them what was going on. Unfortunately this caused a lot of chaos and misunderstanding. They basically were in their office and didn't really feel like they cared much for their employees. We were just something easily replaced.
    - Promotion only to Favorites/NO PROMOTION Opportunities. Basically if you kiss the managers butt hard enough and talk poorly of you're coworkers you are promoted. Not by you're hard dedication towards the residents. You're hard work does not shine through in this company and when you ask to speak to corporate about it the HR about you're options or a complaint they will re-direct you each time. Good luck.
    - Team Members. They say who you work with makes the difference. At this SPECIAL Emeritus there was a set of coworkers in MC that not only treated you horrible if you were new, were mean to the residents as well. Was not giving proper care and would blame you for the problem. They are always following you around, harassing new caregivers. I once worked where a new person went home crying after her first day. Management is aware but yet encourages the bullying. I ended up leaving for another job where I was promoted to Supervisor after two months where I could flourish. You will not be promoted here unless you are mean and rude to you're team mates. They will not help you even if it is helping with a resident's needs that suffers. It hurt me to stay there when I had loved the residents so much to see them suffer for my coworker's dramas.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease fix management at this Emeritus (Or I suppose it's Brookdale now?) It has a very bad reputation in the community. Many coworkers from my other caregiving job have also talked about the abuse they received as

One Of the work experience in my life.

RCD (Former Employee)
    Allentown, PA

ProsPay was above average. Otherwise no other pros to speak of unless you like abuse. Stay away far away.

ConsExpected to travel on a whim. I was expected to drive 5 hours one way work 8 and drive back home. On call 24/7 therefore no sleep. Long hours. Lack of respect from the corp office. Terminate employees on a weekly basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees. Allow management to do their jobs. No manager can turn around a problem building in 6 months. Do not expect management to work 24/7. There needs to be a balance between work and family. Give the residents what they are paying for. Constant staff turn around is not good for the resident. Sell your buildings you should not be in business.

There is a reason Brookdale bought Emeritus and not the other way around.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsThis company has no redeeming values. Its all bait and switch. Its all about the Benjamin's. And its all smoke and mirrors. Our family is committed to take every last dollar our of your families pocket and provide little or no service in exchange.

ConsThey keep moving around the same losers. If you fail here, no problem, we will move you someplace else. Most regional personal are unqualified sycophants just looking to keep there job. The executive directors have a lifespan of less then 18 months. constant turnover of losers. managers have zero say in how best to run there local communities. its a cookie cutter mentality that does not work. The pay is horrendous, the raises are laughable and most employees cannot afford the benefits so emeritus makes out on both ends.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou suck and most of you will be fired when brookdale takes over. But, don't worry because this industry feeds off the same losers so you will pop up somewhere else. People things wont change unless we get some government regulation going here. lots of money is being spent by families trying to do what's best for there loves ones. They can pay upwards up $6000 per month only to have $5.00 per day food and non-English speaking $9.00 per hour person taking care of there loved one. If you must put your loved one in an assisted living facility go to a non-for-profit community. STAY AWAY FROM FOR PROFIT COMMUNITIES.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unfair place to work, treat residents like cattle

Executive Director (Former Employee)
    Orangevale, CA

ProsIf you can learn to swim and stay swimming you can learn a lot even if your head is slightly above water

ConsThe divisional management are all "buddies" the former divisional director of life enrichment used her company card to pay for flights to go see her boy toy in Southern Cali and is still with the company. Meanwhile any CRD that doesn't fill a community up in 90 days gets micro managed and the third degree

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope the entire divisional team lose their jobs with the merger

Actions (or inaction) speak louder than words

ProsThere are no pros to take on a job with Emeritus.

ConsThis is a company that once they hire you, they will then add on job duties & responsibilities, sometimes without letting you know. Being a team player is stressed a lot. Then, when something goes wrong, you are held responsible. However, if you don't assist your coworkers, you are then reprimanded as not being a team player. It is every man/woman for themselves. Do not count on your management team to have your back. There were management staff that told other staff not to share information with regional staff (so we did not look bad or like we did not know what we were doing). I thought that the regional team was supposed to be there to be helpful/supportive.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll levels of management (within the community & at the regional level) should be honest in their communication efforts with ALL staff. Regional management seems very focused on making & keeping the line staff happy, while overlooking the administrative teams within the community. There seems to be little interest in how the A team views things, their suggestions/thoughts, or their interpretation of a given situation.

Flag Review
    Emeritus Senior Living Recruiting Project Specialist responded to this review Jun 23, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please feel free to share your thoughts with Ethics First (which you can do anonymously). You can find a link to Ethics First on the Emeritus ... More

Not so much

Food Server (Former Employee)

ProsOnly if you need to supplement your income for a brief period time should you work here.

ConsLack of adherence to menu items and poor substitutions is depressing for the elderly. They're paying big bucks for a decent meal and not getting it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeliver what you promise from the kitchen.

Flag Review
    Emeritus Senior Living Recruiting Project Specialist responded to this review Jun 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review. Please feel free to share any of your concerns with Ethics first (which you can do anonymously). You can find a link to Ethics First on the Emeritus Glassdoor page under ... More

Just when You Thought

Management (Not Seattle] (Former Employee)
    South Florida, FL

ProsHaving left this company due to moral reasons the news that Emeritus was out and Brookdale were the new owners I thought at last that the abuse as administered to the residents and their families was over.

ConsWith Brookdale taking over in August changes are already being implemented the first of which is to cut back on budgets, staff, and upgrade barely minimum wage and language challenged the CNA's to the status of med techs. Absolutely unconscionable.

Advice to Senior ManagementWill it take an exposé to the magnitude of the V.A. debacle before the government wakes up to the fact that contrary to corporate myopic financial indiscretions that this is another example of abuse.

Flag Review
    We appreciate your review and take your feedback very seriously. We would be interested in getting more information from you, specifically related to the abuse of residents and their families. I ... More

Modern day slavery

Resident Assistant-CNA (Current Employee)
    Idaho Falls, ID

ProsCaring for seniors co workers and doing the right thing.

ConsCompany only cares about money not residents or people who work for them. Care staff are treated as minorities paid minimum wage and they do all the work. Upper management makes 10 to 20 times more money for doing nothing but demanding more out of care staff. All about occupancy and numbers. Greed at its finest. Industry needs to be unionized to get fair wages and decent work conditions for care staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a job.

Flag Review
    Emeritus Senior Living Recruiting Project Specialist responded to this review Jun 5, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We truly appreciate the feedback of our employees and strive hard to make all of our communities a wonderful work environment. Please consider ... More

Management is unprofessional and with priorities not based around patient care, but based around making $$

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    San Dimas, CA

ProsThe licensed nurses and CNAs are amazing, a great group of people that care about their patients. Work environment is clean and the facility is beautiful.

ConsManagement FORBIDS any kind of overtime, you get written up even if you do 30 minutes overtime no matter the situation. Staff turnover is really high, very difficult to call out sick, staff have been told they cannot call out sick because there is no one to cover. Very toxic work environment from the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet priorities straight, as a licensed nurse you can also help on the floor if need be, allot overtime if you want to provide optimum care, get adequate staff so that if someone calls off it isnt complete chaos.

Flag Review
    Emeritus Senior Living Recruiting Project Specialist responded to this review Jun 3, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to share it with us through Ethics First. You can find a link to Ethics First on the Emeritus Glassdoor page under "Emeritus ... More

All about the money

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood money to be made, good benefits

ConsMany unlicensed staff, not properly trained. Company seems VERY money hungry

Flag Review
    We appreciate your feedback and would like to point you to Ethics First so we can look in to the unlicensed staff. Please visit the main Emeritus website, or the Emeritus Glassdoor page under the ... More

Worked for Emeritus Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Emeritus Senior Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Emeritus Senior Living CEO Granger Cobb. All 236 reviews posted anonymously by Emeritus Senior Living employees.