Emeritus Senior Living Reviews

Updated April 18, 2015
313 reviews filtered by
2.8
T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • enjoy the teams i work with and the ability to support others in making a positive work environment (in 10 reviews)

• I look forward to coming to work everyday (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management within the facility and Corporate does not follow their own policies and ethics (in 8 reviews)

• Everyone sleeps with each other in empty rooms the residents are not a priority here (in 75 reviews)

1. Resident Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Setting Up Dining Room Tables, Bussing Tables, Serving Beverages, Taking Orders, Vacumning Floors, Checking On a Resident, and Taking Out Garbage

Cons

Oswego Springs was too inconvenient from my House and I had to drive all the way across town to get all the way over there.

Advice to Management

I would like to find Senior Home Care Assistant Living Facilities that are closer to where I like such as East Multnomah County, and/or North Clackamas County.

2. Accountant

Former Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living (More than 5 years)

Pros

was a great companies good work life balance, very casual and wonderful people

Cons

the company does not exist it was sold to brookdale senior living.

Advice to Management

should have sold your family the took you 23 yrs to build.

3. Manager

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

People, opportunity, office environment, and location.

Cons

None that I can think of.

5. CNA.. need more pay

Current Employee - CNA in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - CNA in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Love my residents and co-workers

Cons

Not enough overtime nor enough pay

Advice to Management

Really listen to employees

6. Really awful job.

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Washington, DC

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It gave me work experience.

Cons

I was pushed around a lot.

Brookdale is detached from the communities it should be supporting.

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was excited to be part of a large organization because of the potential of growth.

Cons

Brookdale structures the staff of it's builldings at a minimal level which creates burn out and resentment toward the company. Ironically the expectation is to continually push for higher levels of care without backing it with labor hours which creates an truly unsafe enviorment for frail and vulnerable residents. The employee retention rate for Directors and other key managers is very low which is unsettling for family and residents. IT is overwhelmed and cannot keep up with the continual failing computer issues. It is ytpically a 4-5 week turn around to get a new computer or have one repaired. While this has been acknowledged, there is no gratus if work is not completed timely. Lastly, there is no life/work balance. As an ED I routinely get non-emergency texts and calls from my Regional team on the weekend and inappropriate hours.

Advice to Management

Visit your communities. See the hard work that is being done on behalf of the residents and stock holders. Tell us we are doing great. Let us hear a message of "thanks" or give us an inspiring talk instead of the canned "we must please the stock holders" speech.

8. Working with the elderly is great

Former Employee - Business Office Director in Rancho Mirage, CA
    Former Employee - Business Office Director in Rancho Mirage, CA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Helping the residents was rewarding

Cons

Executive Director had no ethic values and made very poor ethic decisions when it came to the company, the employees, the community and even the residents that live there.

Advice to Management

To take a closer look at this Executive Director and pay attention to her ethic leadership. Many organizations have a formal code of conduct that describes the principles and guidelines that ALL members must follow. It's not always about the bottom line. Take care of your frontline team members.

poor.

Current Employee - Medication Aide CNA in Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Medication Aide CNA in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

residents are AWESOME!!!! the girls i work with are amazing (my shift).

Cons

management is awful.. they don't care about their employees : all they care about is if the floor is covered. they walk around with dip in their mouths ; they sit in their offices on their cell phones all day. we are always having to stay over or come in early because nobody comes into work on time or they call out! they don't want to give raises. Med Techs make $ 9.50 (kitchen also makes $9+) Management doesn't have a clue what is going on around here because they're always in their office. we have employees who come to work high and they don't even do anything about it! ( thats AWESOME management right there). Something needs to be done because as of now emeritus at harrisonburg is going down here. we are loosing residents and employees! we also work short staffed every day! legally the minimum number of employees we are supposed to have working the floor ( on one side) is 3 people! almost everyday there is only one or two people!!! EMERITUS SUCKS!!!

Advice to Management

get new management or the place isnt going to be up in running within the next year or so.

Terrible work environment.

Former Employee - Activity Assistant in Danville, CA
    Former Employee - Activity Assistant in Danville, CA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Amazing friendships with seniors, but not encouraged by management - somehow luckily you will have them anyway.

Cons

Office culture is not to be trusted, company values are not followed. Proof? 3 people including my immediate boss were fired. All very hard working people who loved seniors dearly.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employees who love seniors. do not leave them disillusioned, reward them. Support friendships that employees develop with seniors instead of clinging to a paranoid management style that believes conversations are "out to get" management. Conversations make the day for residents.

11. Alz Assisted Living

Former Employee - Business Office Director
    Former Employee - Business Office Director

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with seniors. Positive impact in families and the community. Nice environment and building. Furniture and decor was replaced every 2 years.

Cons

Low pay. Even though I was a director I was not exempt. Not much corporate support. Getting attached to residents then they pass away. Food was not that great. Frequent changes in management.

Emeritus Senior Living Photos