Emeritus Senior Living

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
2.8

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • enjoy the teams i work with and the ability to support others in making a positive work environment (in 10 reviews)

• I look forward to coming to work everyday (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management within the facility and Corporate does not follow their own policies and ethics (in 8 reviews)

• Everyone sleeps with each other in empty rooms the residents are not a priority here (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

An Experience I'll Miss

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office atmosphere is very supportive and does a good job pushing out toxic energy. There are a lot of different directions to go within the company to diversify your skills. Most managers/directors seem great to work with, very friendly and hands-on with their staff. Very helpful in helping us move on now that the merger is coming to an end.

Cons

We are told this is a merger, but it's clearly a buyout. Brookdale seems to have bit off more than it can chew--their office is a mess and they can't make a decision. There are so many people involved that no one knows what to do or if it's their job to do something. Coming up with a new process involvesd emailing multiple people, but no one responds. We spend most of our days waiting for Brookdale to figure it out. It looks like the merger definitely should have been the other way around.

Figure something out fast. Most of your office is gone at the end of the year and they won't be there to hold your hand.

Most efficiently run community ever, smiling residents and coworkers, until Brookdale buyout!

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Resident care was awesome! Impressive coworkers who had been there 5 plus years. Loved coming to work. More like family than a job and I believe the residents felt the same.

Cons

Different rules for different coworkers. Mistakes and/or inappropriate behavior is ok for "pets" but a major issue for others. Absolutely no appreciation for those employees who give 100% plus and report those who don't. Unless you are a "pet" you are labeled a troublemaker and your days are numbered. Since news of brookdale the management has morphed into bullies and there is fear in the air. "What happened here, no one smiles anymore?" Quote from a family member.

Need policies and procedures, written and verbal, for training. Trainers should have a check list to follow to be certain everyone is trained the same. It is essential that management knows that all major issues have been addressed. Weekly progress evals should be given to new hires. Workers are going to talk about the buyout, it's not gossip, it's human nature. If management makes a big deal out of it....it will be. Really good staff but some of the higher ups need to leave their misuse of power at the door.

Good Company

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time

Pros

Working at the corporate office has been great. The people here are very supportive and fun to work with. There are monthly events to help ease the work environment, so that everyone is having fun on the job.

Cons

We merged with a new company. There was plenty of room for growth but then the merge happened

The Vps in company told all Directors to fill out a review on here to make them look better

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Seniors residents free meals close parking.

Cons

Lies and cover ups. They want to rob Seniors of their money and have us pretend it's a great place to work. We do what we need to, so as to make a living. It's hard when we know the company is not delivering on the promises they make to families. ALL ABOUT The Bottom Line AND dollar! Do yourself a favor and don't move into an Emeritus or Brookdale company. Go to the small mom and pops, they still care. My VP team don't even pretend to like Seniors.

Pray for forgiveness you are going to need it!

The merger with Brookdale was really a buyout

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time

Pros

Company was decent until Brookdale takeover was announced. It was at one time a great place to work.

Cons

Middle management had no time to deal with their own pending layoff while trying to manage their teams during the transition. Agree with others that there was a very clickish environment which increased toward the end and black balling does occur. Brookdale mismanaged and botched the transition in many ways, but at the end of the day they are just people trying to survive a very big mess.

Show respect to those who chose to move on, those who came from Emeritus and those who take a chance to join the mayhem.

Not as rewarding as I had hoped

Former Employee - Caregiver and Med Tech in Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Caregiver and Med Tech in Brandon, FL

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being able to assist residents with daily living.

Cons

Not being allowed to go outside my "job description" to help them

Good Company

Former Employee - Business Office Director in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Business Office Director in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at Emeritus at Southpoint and love it, wonderful co-workers

Cons

Met and made a lot of friends both co-workers and residents and their families

I was the Business Office Director and felt the Business Office Directors have more than enough on their plates without having to do marketing work.

Good Company to work for.

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Training and care good. Good benefits.

Cons

Unable to think of any cons.

Wonderful people in the office to work with.

Former Employee - Caregiver in Danville, CA
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Danville, CA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone who likes their job here seems to have a calling to accept an help seniors.
    Great benefits and flexible scheduling.

Cons

They need people on call for when others are sick as there's too much burden on the workers that are there. At minimum they could pay an extra short staff payment, especially when more than one are absent.
    Far too much is expected from employees for $10 an hour when they want the residents to be totally catered to so the apartments can be fully occupied. It's impossible when many residents full need nursing home care.

You would have less turnover in staff if the pay was higher and extra pay was given when workers are absent.

Trying, and failing, to combine care and profit

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time

Pros

Worked in the corporate office in Seattle. Great team members, people generally supported each other. They were always very flexible with working hours as long as you go the job done.

Cons

Executives and upper management could care less about you unless you were generating a profit for them out in the field.

Emeritus Senior Living Photos