Emeritus Senior Living Reviews

305 reviews filtered by

1. Job From Hell due to Poor Management

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the residents and the creativity of the job. I was there for approximately one year.

Cons

Too many to list. Mainly management showed zero respect for employees. Some of us were treated very badly. A terrible experience for me!

Hopely your new takeover company, Brookdale Senior Living, will clean house and bring in new management

completely unethical, disheartening and dishonest

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

wonderful residents, the building had a nice atmosphere

Cons

Ethics first hotline is a joke and does nothing more than fulfill a requirement. Receive no support or response as a result of using this hotline. Upper management within the facility and Corporate does not follow their own policies and ethics. Do not hold people accountable for their actions. Fail to address concerns of neglect, care issues, protect residents and their rights and investigate properly. Allow unqualified, oblivious, incompetent people to hold positions they should not. Allow and encourage bullying, retaliation, dishonesty and cover up to protect themselves rather than the residents. Completely dishonest in numerous areas, [payroll, health insurance offerings, state surveys to name just a few] and seem to have a lot of influence and/or power with various government entities. Admit residents that require much more care and monitoring than a less than experienced, skeleton staff can handle safely, which would also include med techs whose training is far from adequate as well as fail to possess needed knowledge about diseases let alone the medications they are handing out. No teamwork or support in and from upper management. Daily activities provided to residents is pitiful, no encouragement to attend, nothing stimulating provided to those with dementia. Resident autonomy is not encouraged or fostered. Fail to involve, educate, provide choices to residents regarding their care, illness, billing. Fail to provide diabetic and other prescribed diets. I can go on, but feel it senseless.

acknowledge, investigate and personally address the users of the ethics first hotline and in an ethical manner. Dont find fault or place blame on the users of the hotline as a result of your own wrong doing. Hold people accountable, follow adopted policy, procedure and ethics. Be more attentive to concerns raised by staff. Provide better and more extensive training to the med techs, with better pay. Quit admitting or keeping residents that are medically unstable, require to much assistance with ADL's. Increase staff. Reward honesty and commitment of staff who value providing good, high quality care. Quit focusing on dollar amounts. Focus on providing quality care and giving the residents the value they pay for. Here too I could go on and on. READ YOUR REVIEWS and take what people say or feel as bad going on and take it to heart. You encourage these people who have concerns to put them to the ETHICS FIRST hotline, I suggest you actually formally communicate with these people, let them know what you are doing about it, and prove it.

The job for you...if you want to be underpaid and walked all over!

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Columbus, OH

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping the elderly and making their last years fun! Letting their family know that when their family member is in your care they will be taken care of and loved. The residents are always a pro when working at an assisted living!

Cons

I don't know if I'll have time to list every single thing. After working for the company a combined 5 years at 2 different facilities I would never go back. They hire anyone off the street to care for the residents meaning people with no experience and straight off the boat so with heavy accents that the residents get frustrated with. Heavy turnover rates in management, nursing, and care staff. As the company says they are an assisted living but would allow people that need 100% care who can not do anything for themselves to move in. The company is money hungry. I could go on and on.

Hire people you would want to keep for awhile. Train care staff better and investigate "incident reports"! Compensate more after a 90 day period to keep people longer. Raise care staff wages! Make the residents your number one focus!

Senior Living

Current Employee - CRC in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - CRC in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Helping families find solutions for their loved ones

Cons

stress, long hours, no respect

6. Good systems

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Good systems to use to take care of residents

Cons

It was hard to implement them all

7. one of the worst assisted living in Colorado. I was going to take mom, but worst management ever.

Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Aurora, CO

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

i don't recommend any one to work there

Cons

one person takes care of 30 residents. Are we still living in the 21st century? worst management, HR

please hire many employees, don't only worry about your bonuses. Keep firing employees for their personal benefits

Avoid Emeritus!

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

the residents

Some of the staff

Cons

Below average pay, ridiculous hours to the point of zero work life balance, ripping off the residents.

Emeritus, 2 billion dollars in debt buying more buildings, while simultaneously under staffing buildings, underpaying employees, & neglecting buildings
    Rent is raised multiple times a year but the budgets for each department declines on a regular basis. They pay more to get less. Emeritus & Brookdale both, would happily operate buildings with one caregiver if they could legally get away with it.

Go away and stop stealing from old people!

9. I have a had A GREAT experience at Emeritus.

Current Employee - CRD in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - CRD in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The residents are more than wonderful.

Cons

" too much management turnover "

Laid back corporate environment.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Office culture, work life balance

Cons

Low pay and benefits, top heavy structure

11. Successful community due to the efforts of a visionary Executive Director

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Hands down, this community's greatest asset is their Executive Director. This person is a visionary leader with innovative ideas for improving assisted living communities based on the combination of latest technology and old-fashioned human warmth.

Cons

Micro-management tendencies by less-experienced managers combined with budget cuts due to an impending takeover (merger) restrain me to giving only a 4-star rating. High stress levels are often evident in key employees due to heavy workload demands.

Emeritus Senior Living Photos