Emeritus Senior Living

Updated August 11, 2014

2.5

Emeritus Senior Living President and Chief Executive Officer Granger Cobb
Granger Cobb

Pros
  • My team has been so supportive and I feel that I have the autonomy to make creative decisions that positively affect our employees and residents (in 4 reviews)

• Wages were good, Residents are wonderful, staff, Department Heads are great (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management makes 10 to 20 times more money for doing nothing but demanding more out of care staff (in 7 reviews)

• No Christmas bonus to line staff (e (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

It was great.

Former Employee - Dining Service Director  in  Anderson, SC
    Former Employee - Dining Service Director in Anderson, SC

Pros

Good salary, benefits, and employee appreciation

Cons

Long hours, haughty, clique-y management

Watch your EDs closer.

I love my job. Taking care of our residents is our #1 goal.

Current Employee - CRD  in  Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - CRD in Hattiesburg, MS

Pros

Never a hesitation to getup and go in the morning. We have a great team.

Cons

Sometimes the hours are long but worth it.

Keep putting the residents first.

Emeritus Senior Living Response

Jun 3, 2014Recruiting Project Specialist

Thank you for your review!

Very positive experience.

Former Employee - Concierge  in  Kingwood, TX
    Former Employee - Concierge in Kingwood, TX

Pros

Everyone is very nice. I was a concierge and they trained me well. I left because I got another job offer and wanted to explore my other opportunities.

Cons

Management was very disorganized and they had terrible communication, but overall I had a positive experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management horribly dishonest

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Danville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA

Pros

no reason on earth to work here.

Cons

Challenges are many. Executive Director had no management skills. Horribly non-supportive, altered performance review, denied raises to other overworked employees. She was unfair, non-compassionate, very misleading with seniors. Never a straight answer.

LIsten to your seniors. If they ask for 1 computer give it to them. This is the time of their life when the little things really matter. Do not assume they will forget. Get your staffing up to par so that your community runs smoothly.

Worse job ever

Former Employee - Resident Care Director  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Resident Care Director in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The residents and the hard workers

Cons

Poor management did not support the other managers. Not honest. Would not investigate situations. Talked about you behind your back. Corporate in Seattle did not know what was going on and if they did shame on them

Best thing that happened is they got sold and bought out. Hopefully this new group will not be hands off and they get rid of old emeritus corporate people

Unethical Greedy Company

Former Employee - Executive Director  in  Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Lubbock, TX

Pros

Salary and good people to work with daily at the individual property level.

Cons

This is a national company on the stock market. They expect sales, sales, sales on a weekly basis and to boost profits any way possible. I was an Executive Director and could only tolerate their practices for 2 months before I quit. You are monitored by a regional team of directors who can come in and manage your property over you at any time if they think you are doing something that could affect them getting their bonuses. They do not value customers or residents at an individual level, only what they can make off of them. It was an ethical nightmare and I would not place my family member in this profit-driven atmosphere. If you are unsure, just look at their turnover rate for management in your local paper. Make sure you research this company well before you get on board.

Your business practices are unethical and you can still be a profitable company if you remember that healthcare can make money while still providing excellent care. The greed of the upper management and those at regional levels for big bucks should be investigated further than the PBS investigative report done in 2013 exposing the "shut the back door" business model to ensure you squeeze every resident for cash. These are humans....

Managers are not appreciated!

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Director
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Director

Pros

I loved my residents-sweet!! No other pros!!

Cons

They do not value their employees. I worked there for 18 months and was a life enrichment director. A few months into the job I found out the other activity director with the exact same title as me and same responsibilities was making $3 more an hour than me. They never corrected my salary when I had more experience than her. She was later fired due to poor work performance. They changed my title to non management(which I was told which not affect anything but it affected my benefits) and then hired someone who I am sure made almost double than me and she was then supposed to be my "supervisor".

This company is dirty and all about the bottom line! Getting move-ins is all they cared about!

too much management turnover

Pros

Front end staff was excellent. They were there for the residents. I found the PCA's to be advocating for the residents while trying to stay within the company guidelines.

Cons

Executive director was inexperienced and unprofessional. Management staff turnover was remarkable yet there never appeared to be research for the reason for such turnover.

Regional management needs to learn why the employees are leaving the same communities. Every professional wants to learn how to improve their skill. There is not enough support for the management team and inexperienced executive directors who have nothing to offer the management team are a waste of money.

The residents were wonderful, the employees however were not.

Former Employee - CNA/RA/MED TECH  in  Glastonbury, CT
    Former Employee - CNA/RA/MED TECH in Glastonbury, CT

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the residents at Emeritus. They really looked forward to seeing you every day and always had interesting stories to tell you.

Cons

If you were dissatisfied with another employees shortcomings (ie; sleeping on the job or abusive to residents), the directors would write YOU up and the person who they were investigating, make you both sit in the same room together and then that person would make your life a living hell from that point on.
    Other employees wouldn't answer pagers or phones.
    Most of the employees (CNA) couldn't speak English, or fill out simple paperwork.

INVESTIGATE CLAIMS! if another valued employee makes serious claims, INVESTIGATE! I quit on the basis of INTEGRITY, YOUR COMPANY HAS NONE!!!!

Not bad, but could definitely be better

Current Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

1) Steady work, regular paycheck
    2) Great co-workers; current regulations ensure no unqualified applicants are employed
    3) Fair pay for certain line positions based on experience
    4) Outstanding medical and dental benefits and costs
    5) Close to infrastructure routes, bus-lines, major arterials, easy access
    6) Paid time off, sick time, holiday pay
    7) Up to 90 day leave of absence permitted by law

Cons

1) 45-minute breaks means less productivity, less pay
    2) 45-minute break taken out of holiday pay
    3) Unreasonable scrutiny of mispunches
    4) Unreasonable expectation of no overtime for census being 100% or higher
    5) Unreasonably low allotment of hours for each department to keep facility running smoothly
    6) Miniscule raises (2.5% or less)
    7) No Christmas bonus to line staff (e.g., cash)
    8) Most RA and MA positions underpaid
    9) No free shift meal
    10) Too many redundant conference calls and waste of resources
    11) Crandall menu unpopular with residents, unnecessarily restrictive and rejected by residents (e.g., I want gravy on my potatoes, I don't care what that diet order says, and I want a roll!)
    12) Counterproductive restrictions on food order purchases that result in higher food costs (e.g., forced to buy higher priced items in smaller quantities, can't break cases), which also results in higher residual end-of-month inventories

1) Permanently eliminate 45-minute break and restore 30-minute break
    2) Restore full holiday pay and don't take a break out of it
    3) Allow more than 24 hours to correct mispunches
    4) Round off time worked to nearest minute instead of nearest 15 minutes
    5) Increase standard workweek of net hours from 36.5 to 40
    6) Increase raises to 2.5% minimum to 5% or more based on performance
    7) Give cash Christmas bonuses based on tenure the payday before Christmas to the front-line employees (RA's, MA's, cooks, housekeepers)
    8) Increase company minimum wage to $12.00 an hour to increase quality of new-hires and also to increase employee retention and minimize employee turnover
    9) Give at least one free meal per shift to all employees
    10) Restore the two personal holidays per year (full 8 hours each)
    11) Restore the 10-year benefit level (160 hours vacation for full time and 200 hour maximum accrual)
    12) Remove all DSD restrictions; let the dining services do his job and save the company money by ordering less expensive items and also ones that the residents like and the freedom to substitute for the horribly written Crandall menu
      12a. The Crandall menu has dinner at lunch and lunch at dinner meaning smaller meals at dinnertime results in the residents getting hungry at 9:00 or 10:00
      12b. Unpopular desserts that residents can get any time (e.g., why is fruit listed as a dessert, nobody really likes jello, and would you actually have quiche for an entree and custard pie for dessert at the same meal??)
      12c. Let chefs write the menu; as was mentioned, residents often disregard diet orders and want rolls, gravy, crust on their pie, the only exception being restricted salt.
       12d. Consider cutting real costs by eliminating the Crandall system altogether and let your chefs be chefs and remove the utterly ridiculous and impossible situation of keeping spreadsheets on the line during meal preparation. There is 20 minutes to get 100 meals served and that is not going to happen when each order has to be checked against a spreadsheet and marked, and then having the RA's remember each one, and then having them come back because the resident refused the restriction, and then the cook being pulled off the line to discuss it with the resident, who is already working alone--you see the insanity here?

Worked for Emeritus Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!