Emeritus Senior Living

Emeritus Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Emeritus Senior Living President and Chief Executive Officer Granger Cobb

Granger Cobb

Pros
  • My team has been so supportive and I feel that I have the autonomy to make creative decisions that positively affect our employees and residents (in 4 reviews)

• Wages were good, Residents are wonderful, staff, Department Heads are great (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management makes 10 to 20 times more money for doing nothing but demanding more out of care staff (in 7 reviews)

• No Christmas bonus to line staff (e (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Emeritus was one of the worst senior living places I have ever worked at.

Medication Technician (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsThe residents, the ones who don't all have dementia, are very nice.

ConsThey're unorganized, they treat their staff bad. The management gossip about their employees and believe the gossip between employees. Night crew isn't supervised at all. Staff treat the residents badly. Each shift never completes the tasks assigned. Medication regulations not followed. Health code violations. OSHA violations. "Cliks" in workplace. Sleeping on Noc Shift. Was told when hired it was a full time position, worked on Noc shift, didn't even get 58 hours in two weeks!! Do Not recommend working for ever!!

Advice to Senior ManagementYeah, COMPLETE NEW STAFF who follow rules and regulations. And who know how to treat and care for the elderly. During the time I worked there, med carts were left open and un- attended and when it was brought up to management it was dismissed. During the Noc shift employees would clock in from their break but continue to sleep. Employees left their wings for long periods of time, leaving residents unattended and wet. It is a mad house. And Not a place I would want to bring anyone I know to!!

Frustrating

Concierge (Former Employee) Rockford, IL

ProsThe only Pros are working with the Elderly and making a real difference despite the lacking of constructive manage

ConsEverything other than the residents, the management are pathetic , lazy, unprofessional and Incompetent.The policies are redundant, in three words overworked, underpaid, and under appreciated. The sole focus is not on resident life quality but on minimizing costs at every avenue at the dismay and vulnerability of the elderly residents. a grossly over-priced appalling place that takes advantage of those who should be honored and treated with the best of care.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to recommend advice but they wouldn't listen or understand.

Worst Place I Ever Worked

Resident Assistant-CNA (Current Employee) Saint Augustine, FL

ProsUnfortunately only pros I can thinking of is caring for the Seniors and trying to be an advocate since they are not taken care of.

ConsVerbal and mental abuse by management. They are only concerned about money and nothing else. Our management team was a mess, especially the RCD who treated people so badly which is why there was such a constant turnover of employees. DO every put your love one there!

Advice to Senior ManagementHousecleaning needs to be done which starts at top management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Starts out great, turns to garbage.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsDedicated hardworking staff-too underpaid to be anything but. Who would do this type of work for next to nothing unless they loved seniors? I am not talking about the high level management - I mean the nurses, the Med Techs and Resident Assistants.

ConsThe only driving force is filling beds. They don't seem to really care that adding residents to the mix that really belong in a nursing home can overtax staff. Micromanagement to the extreme. High expectations without giving you the tools to do the work. Salaried nurses who work over 50 hours a week computes their pay to less than minimum wage. Hourly staff with too much work to do but get in trouble if they try to do it and incur OT. Senior Management (Regional) like to send lots of "WooHoo" emails and have contests about who can wear the ugliest sweater but don't seem to care when those at the front lines say they are overwhelmed. There is NO orientation for new staff!

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a good orientation for your managers. Quit changing expectations and springing new requirements on them. Help your managers instead of writing them up. If you say you are going to do something, then do it, don't back out on technicalities. STOP MICROMANAGING YOUR MANAGERS!

Excellent company to further your career with.

Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsEmeritus fosters a family atmosphere with employees and residents, providing a good salary and benefits package for licensed employees with the opportunity for advancement if you desire.

ConsAs with any nursing job, work can be a stressful environment. Ancillary staff are often under overworked and underpaid. As with any large cooperation, strict adherence to company guidelines sometimes makes your job too restrictive.

Best company I've ever worked for.

Training & Development (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI've worked for Emeritus for 7+ years and have worked my way up from an ED position at a community to a national role with the home office. It is by far the best company culture I've ever had the honor of working in and the company truly is a "family". I've never had to question the focus and direction of our leadership - the message has consistently been "Do the right thing for our residents and employees. Every day." The company is progressive and is committed to smart growth that will enable wonderful development opportunities for the employees while providing the type of care that I would want for my own mother.

ConsI really don't have any cons. One of the other great things that Emeritus has started over the past year is an Individual Development Planning process which opens the conversation with our supervisor to plan our own career growth. If there is a con, I guess it would be that I wish this process had been around 7 years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever lose your ability to be real people who truly listen and are interested in your employees. I'm so proud to work for a Senior Leadership team that exhibits such egoless clarity.

Definitely melting away the aquired callus of Corporate life

Analytics (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI have represented Emeritus for just over two months. During this time, I have gained greater insight and respect into the "activities of daily living" that our beautifully seasoned society members live. Becoming aware of both their challenges and lifestyle has allowed me to absorb a greater understanding into the outstanding work our Community Family members provide day in and day out. Without a doubt they are truely committed to making sure that Seniors continue their life journey with dignity and respect, not to mention making it fun and sociable. Emeritus is slowly melting away the years of acquired corporate callus growth thus allowing me to once again sharpen my career sword and feel good about coming to work because it DOES make a difference in my life and of course the lifes of our wonderful residents! If you truely care about feeling good about what you do to make the lifes of others better, Emeritus is the place for you!

ConsParking can be a bit tough in the area

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we continue to grow as a corporation, NEVER loose sight of the "home town" feel and committment to enriching the lives of our Seniors. It is a value that I have seen dulled in past Corporate life and no matter how much it is glossed over, eventually it does hurt bottom line. The respect for others and genuine care that I currently experience in my workplace is one of the joys that allows me to continue to bring on my best and sharpen that dulled sword of putting up the good fight (one for all!) ensuring that we embrace each and every Senior in our care as we walk along side their journey!

Truly committed to both residents and employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsA truly dedicated and caring group of people; everyone is committed to making a positive difference in the lives of seniors and in the lives of employees. The demands of personal lives are accommodated with ease -- everyone is encouraged to take care of what needs taking care of. People interested in moving up in the organizaiton are encouraged and mentored to reach their goals. Best employment experience of my life!

ConsNone that I can think of.

Who could ask for anything more?! Really?!

Pros- Career Growth
    - Innovative Resources to drive personal and professional success
    - Amazing culture - When we say Our Family is Committed to Yours...WE MEAN IT
    - Great team, I truly find value in our collaborative work environment

ConsThat more people haven't join such an amazing, supportive and resident focused organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to stay the course from our focus on resident and family needs to employee development...Emeritus Leaders...you are doing a mighty fine job! This is all inclusive...not just Executive level, but our Directors at the communities. The dedication and integrity witnessed every day, truly makes me proud to be an Emeritan.

Great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI have had the opportunity to work at a community as well as at the home office and both experiences were great! The company culture is unlike any other company I have ever worked for. Co-workers are so encouraging and caring. This company has a large opportunity for growth and you are recognized for your hard work. If you have a big heart and want to work for a community that really makes a difference, Emeritus is the place for you!

ConsNo cons at this time.

Worked for Emeritus Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!