Emeritus Senior Living

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.6

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • My team has been so supportive and I feel that I have the autonomy to make creative decisions that positively affect our employees and residents (in 4 reviews)

• Wages were good, Residents are wonderful, staff, Department Heads are great (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management makes 10 to 20 times more money for doing nothing but demanding more out of care staff (in 7 reviews)

• No Christmas bonus to line staff (e (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great!

Current Employee - Business Office Director
    Current Employee - Business Office Director

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time

Pros

What a great place to work!

Cons

No cons so far...everything great!

Emeritus Senior Living Response

Jun 3, 2014Recruiting Project Specialist

Thanks for your review!

It was great.

Former Employee - Dining Service Director  in  Anderson, SC
    Former Employee - Dining Service Director in Anderson, SC

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, benefits, and employee appreciation

Cons

Long hours, haughty, clique-y management

Watch your EDs closer.

Good job but the BEST people to work with.

Current Employee - Food Server  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Food Server in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team and work culture. Very flexible schedule. I had the best and the most rewarding teamwork experience ever! I miss all of you guys!

Cons

low wages. Other than that no more complains except some challenging work moments. Some customers could be a real trouble sometimes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love my job. Taking care of our residents is our #1 goal.

Current Employee - CRD  in  Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - CRD in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Never a hesitation to getup and go in the morning. We have a great team.

Cons

Sometimes the hours are long but worth it.

Keep putting the residents first.

Emeritus Senior Living Response

Jun 3, 2014Recruiting Project Specialist

Thank you for your review!

Very positive experience.

Former Employee - Concierge  in  Kingwood, TX
    Former Employee - Concierge in Kingwood, TX

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is very nice. I was a concierge and they trained me well. I left because I got another job offer and wanted to explore my other opportunities.

Cons

Management was very disorganized and they had terrible communication, but overall I had a positive experience.

Management horribly dishonest

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Danville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

no reason on earth to work here.

Cons

Challenges are many. Executive Director had no management skills. Horribly non-supportive, altered performance review, denied raises to other overworked employees. She was unfair, non-compassionate, very misleading with seniors. Never a straight answer.

LIsten to your seniors. If they ask for 1 computer give it to them. This is the time of their life when the little things really matter. Do not assume they will forget. Get your staffing up to par so that your community runs smoothly.

Worse job ever

Former Employee - Resident Care Director  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Resident Care Director in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The residents and the hard workers

Cons

Poor management did not support the other managers. Not honest. Would not investigate situations. Talked about you behind your back. Corporate in Seattle did not know what was going on and if they did shame on them

Best thing that happened is they got sold and bought out. Hopefully this new group will not be hands off and they get rid of old emeritus corporate people

Unethical Greedy Company

Former Employee - Executive Director  in  Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary and good people to work with daily at the individual property level.

Cons

This is a national company on the stock market. They expect sales, sales, sales on a weekly basis and to boost profits any way possible. I was an Executive Director and could only tolerate their practices for 2 months before I quit. You are monitored by a regional team of directors who can come in and manage your property over you at any time if they think you are doing something that could affect them getting their bonuses. They do not value customers or residents at an individual level, only what they can make off of them. It was an ethical nightmare and I would not place my family member in this profit-driven atmosphere. If you are unsure, just look at their turnover rate for management in your local paper. Make sure you research this company well before you get on board.

Your business practices are unethical and you can still be a profitable company if you remember that healthcare can make money while still providing excellent care. The greed of the upper management and those at regional levels for big bucks should be investigated further than the PBS investigative report done in 2013 exposing the "shut the back door" business model to ensure you squeeze every resident for cash. These are humans....

Managers are not appreciated!

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Director
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Director

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved my residents-sweet!! No other pros!!

Cons

They do not value their employees. I worked there for 18 months and was a life enrichment director. A few months into the job I found out the other activity director with the exact same title as me and same responsibilities was making $3 more an hour than me. They never corrected my salary when I had more experience than her. She was later fired due to poor work performance. They changed my title to non management(which I was told which not affect anything but it affected my benefits) and then hired someone who I am sure made almost double than me and she was then supposed to be my "supervisor".

This company is dirty and all about the bottom line! Getting move-ins is all they cared about!

too much management turnover

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Front end staff was excellent. They were there for the residents. I found the PCA's to be advocating for the residents while trying to stay within the company guidelines.

Cons

Executive director was inexperienced and unprofessional. Management staff turnover was remarkable yet there never appeared to be research for the reason for such turnover.

Regional management needs to learn why the employees are leaving the same communities. Every professional wants to learn how to improve their skill. There is not enough support for the management team and inexperienced executive directors who have nothing to offer the management team are a waste of money.

Worked for Emeritus Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!