Emerson College

www.emerson.edu

Emerson College Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Emerson College – Boston – “Aerial view of Emerson College with Boston Common…”

Emerson College President Lee Pelton

Lee Pelton

Nice experience

ProsExcellent Courses, Creative Environment, Interesting Projects and conversations with faculty members, great location, free dental benefits

ConsYou need to find a good manager who will look out for you as well.

Amazing place to be as a student, and pretty neutral/comparable to other places as a professional environment.

Resident Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsPeople are open-minded and friendly. They're committed to creating safe spaces for discussion and inclusion. Everyone is passionate and values creativity. You'll feel like you're doing work that matters.

ConsTons of red tape. Honestly, that's the only real thing. Great work environment, but whenever something's wrong, it's nearly impossible to know whose job it is to fix it and go to them. It can take months to bring about change, and sometime the people up top may not give a good reason for why they decided not to change anything at all. Happens in a handful of departments, not all.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employee feedback more.

Great people

Resident Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsI loved being an RA. Best job I've ever had. The people are wonderful, it's a creative environment, and I learned a lot. I can't speak to it just as a place of employment since I was also a student, and an RA is kind of an unusual position to review since it means that where you work is also where you live but...

ConsFor a communications school, Emerson has some pretty poor internal communication. We communicated well in OHRL, but the institution as a whole could use some work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good work environment; very creative staff, faculty, and students.

ProsNice work environment; some opportunity for growth; very good benefits (vacation, tuition, etc); small college makes for a community like feel; new president has a lot of innovative ideas to improve culture & several other aspects of the college; good location in Boston

ConsSalary could be more competitive with other area colleges; could have better maternity/paternity leave benefits/more flexible work options (telecommuting, etc)

Rewarding

Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat work environment, friendly co-workers, diverse opportunities to study.

ConsWorking shifts sometimes are a little off the standard. fast paced environment.

Emerson Office Assistant

Office Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWork with both students and faculty
    Great learning experience
    Friendly Staff
    Good hours

ConsLimit working hours
    Limit shifts available

Marketing COmm Major

ProsI love everything about Emerson! I couldn't imagine going anywhere else!! So many great connections to be made and networking.

ConsChanging majors is hard. Not the best financial aid.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo here only if you're sure that communications is what you want to get into.

Great benefits, facilities and culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe college itself is hip, fun and clearly instills a hard-working culture. That translates very well into the work life as well. The health benefits are good, pay is fair, and overall its an exciting place to work with friendly staff.

ConsTypical higher-ed bureaucracy. Sometimes it takes a long time to get things done or approved. Seems to be a hard place to move up because higher level positions are rarely open.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the lower-level staff more. Offer advice. They really look up to you.

Great atmosphere and friendly faculty

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat work life balance and benefits.

ConsPoor compensation and no changes in foreseeable future.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo maintain competitive in the higher ed job market in Boston faculty and staff compensation need to be reevaluated.

Innovative

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBright and talented colleagues, great resources, devotion to excellence in their academic fields.

ConsHierarchical chain of communication makes it difficult to get things done.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Emerson College? Contribute to the Community!