Emerson

Emerson Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Emerson Chairman and CEO David N. Farr

David N. Farr

Pros:
  • "Work hours allowed work life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Excellent work culture in the company that no company can offer"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Career Growth and Work life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "No team buildings, no sports benefits, very few possibilities for career growth"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I worked at Emerson Corporate for more than 4 years.

IT Staff (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey offer a relatively stable job environment(regular paycheck), reasonably good tertiary benefits (not medical though), and opportunities for some advancement (if you are willing to sacrifice your own integrity).

ConsCorporate management looks down on the Divisions. They have a serious good-ol-boy network and nepotism running rampant in the entire company. They say they hire diversely, which is true, but do not require nearly the level or amount of work out of more diverse employees. They have performed cost-cutting by hiring overseas, or transferring jobs overseas, but still require those left in the US to perform the majority of the work. They have let perfect job candidates leave the company, and generally hire new untalented, or un(der)-trained new recruits, to save a few dollars. Those same recruits generally learn just enough to find another job, and then leave as well. Salary is mediocre at best (note: this is not necessarily true for the divisions). As for politics, every person that has said low or no politics within these reviews, is lying. This is one of the most politically oriented environments on the planet. The executive area of the company purposefully intimidates each and every employee with their personal (outside the company) political views (which lean very far to the right). As for internal politics, that has everything to do with making yourself look good to your superiors, at the total cost of truth, fairness and making those around you look bad to bolster the higher ups view of you. Understand that this is a business, and making money is the point of business, but they do it in a way the belittles all, and benefits very few. The "massive" number of turnovers in just the IT department alone would have been enough to remove most of middle management and all of HR in most companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up, and start dealing with your massive turnover rate problems. Get a valid method of performance appraisal in place, and start acting on them. Stop playing favorites for family members and those in the good-ol-boy network, and allow your company to thrive appropriately. Some of the founding board members and upper management in this company were family friends, and they would be appalled at what you have done to their once proud company.
When asked, I do not recommend this employer to my friends, or to those who are not. You should fix that kind of outlook on your company.

Good

Electrical Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Emerson full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's great working with people that cares about the job and have fun on the job.

Consjust like any other big company

Poor Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Emerson

ProsManagement is clueless on technology

ConsOrganization is too top heavy

Upper Management does not care.

Assembly Supervisor (Former Employee)
Welcome, NC

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people that worked for me were good.

ConsManagement didn't care about Supervisors or floor associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractive the Golden Rule

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Emerson

ProsWork hours allowed work life balance

ConsNo balance workload for all employees

Good company

I have been working at Emerson full-time

ProsFinancially solid offering best-in-class products to the marketplace. Heavy focus on the shareholder. So, be a shareholder while an employee of Emerson!

ConsFew opportunities to work from home. Too many engineers at the managerial level. The company would benefit from diversity at higher ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore acquisitions are needed.

Profitable Company stuck in 1980s

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than a year

ProsLow stress a relatively good benefits. Overall fairly supportive management if you don't rock the boat with improvement ideas of your own. Go to work there if you want to cruise into retirement or want to learn how US management used to operate before lean principles were adapted and design was done in 2D.

ConsVery poor compensation. 1980 technology and management philosophy.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmerson could make even more money if they adopted latest improvement technologies and actually used 3D modeling tools. Upper management has no clue as to the money that is wasted that could go to the bottom line. Stop being so cheap and pay for employees who will get the company to the next level.

Good company

Houston, TX

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than a year

ProsCaring manager and interesting work place.

ConsPromotion might be difficult to come across if you dont know the right string

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more respect for the new hires, they are also the company future. In the long run they might be as important as the oldie

ClosetMaid is a wonderful place to work overall.

Quality Technician (Former Employee)
Ocala, FL

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDecent opportunity to advance and be promoted. Good pay for the area (cost of living) and other comparable jobs in area. Fun picnics too. Lots of training and ability to move up within certain areas.

ConsSometimes, qualified applicants within the company are passed over for outside applicants. Not always able to offer a flexible schedule. Employee reviews have no real meaning since everyone scores the same with the same comments.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook harder at internal employees for promotion, even if they do not apply for a promotion.

past worker looking back on things

Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat place to work straight out of college. gained valuable experience, and had great role models. still keep in touch with those ex coworkers

Consdown sizing, cost cutting, lay offs, Great Job till they started to make cuts and lay off sales force bc of changes with HD (customer). balance of role with customer to keep sales force on

Advice to Senior Managementpay based on experience, and reward those who go the extra mile

Worked for Emerson? Contribute to the Community!

Emerson Videos

Emerson – Why Work for Us?

What We Do Emerson brings together technology and engineering to create innovative solutions for customers in a wide range of industrial, commercial, and consumer markets. What Emerson provides: • Reliable and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Emerson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Emerson CEO David N. Farr. All 149 reviews posted anonymously by Emerson employees.