Emerson

Emerson Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Emerson Chairman and CEO David N. Farr

David N. Farr

Pros
  • In general work / life balance is good for most people(in 15 reviews)

• Stable company, well organized, decent work-life balance, good training(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • work - life balance is not so great(in 4 reviews)

• just like any other big company(in 4 reviews)

Boring and unnerving

ProsStable company, well organized, decent work-life balance, good training. Also good products

ConsCareer opportunities non-existent. If you work in a satellite location, management in St. Louis or Austin will forget about you. Benefits are so-so. Pay rises rare. No bonuses. Work load is unpredictable, so you might end up doing nothing for months and then suddenly work 12 hours per day. Management style is very old fashioned and structure is very hierarchical. There is no way to influence the way things are done. Technology tools are obsolete and time-wasting.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should realize that we live in the 21st century, not in the Fordist era. Obsession with profit should give way to a broader view about the Company's future and long-term goals. Also, communication with employees should be real, not just presenting numbers and achievements carefully selected to mask the reality of business environment.

A company that needs to catch up to current industry practices.

Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsBig company to move around between business divisions with a wide spectrum of jobs.

ConsLike previous comments about being the squeaky wheel if you want to have personal growth.
    Very heavy Office Politics with "In" crowds.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the "Emerson culture" mentality because it does not work with the new generation.
    Embrace and appreciate new ideas that will match industry practices.

Great Place to Work

Intern (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGym membership, doctor on site with no fees

ConsUnderstanding matricies of the hierarchy of people

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide up front training

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, Emerson is a good place to work

ProsThe work life balance at Emerson is excellent. Great respect for making sure that balance is in place. Numerous individuals with decades within the company.

ConsThe locations that Emerson tends to locate it's businesses tend to be a bit rural.

Cooling CE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt used to be a great and very stable company that would invest on their employees big time. There was almost no stress because the company provided the right tools to make it comfortable and stable at almost every conditions.

ConsFor such a big company with such a magnitude, they extremely under-pay their employees. A lot of people guessed my salary to be almost twice of what I made. It has become very unstable that everyone that I speak to that is still there seems to be miserable and worrying that they're going to be on the next round of layoffs. They're shipping their "American Made" equipment factories overseas to make a penny in profits. When you think you're doing an amazing job, all of the sudden they lay you off or move you to another department.

I won't recommend this company to any person I care for, because I don't want them to be worry about getting laid-off every day.

Ralph Liebert did not envision this happening to his employees when he sold his company to Emerson.

It really depends which division

Engineer (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI've worked with some great people in our division and in others. The people are why I've stayed.

ConsBenefits are terrible and management actively blocks promotions for self serving reasons. At times the 'whatever it takes to get it done mentality' has really played havoc with my health.

Work there for 32 years

Supervisor of Production (Former Employee) Decatur, AL

ProsGood places work steady Overtime

ConsWhen the plant gets 30 years + your need find new job they will move it to another country

Advice to Senior ManagementIts all about profit if they don't off to mexico

I worked at Emerson Corporate for more than 4 years.

IT Staff (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThey offer a relatively stable job environment(regular paycheck), reasonably good tertiary benefits (not medical though), and opportunities for some advancement (if you are willing to sacrifice your own integrity).

ConsCorporate management looks down on the Divisions. They have a serious good-ol-boy network and nepotism running rampant in the entire company. They say they hire diversely, which is true, but do not require nearly the level or amount of work out of more diverse employees. They have performed cost-cutting by hiring overseas, or transferring jobs overseas, but still require those left in the US to perform the majority of the work. They have let perfect job candidates leave the company, and generally hire new untalented, or un(der)-trained new recruits, to save a few dollars. Those same recruits generally learn just enough to find another job, and then leave as well. Salary is mediocre at best (note: this is not necessarily true for the divisions). As for politics, every person that has said low or no politics within these reviews, is lying. This is one of the most politically oriented environments on the planet. The executive area of the company purposefully intimidates each and every employee with their personal (outside the company) political views (which lean very far to the right). As for internal politics, that has everything to do with making yourself look good to your superiors, at the total cost of truth, fairness and making those around you look bad to bolster the higher ups view of you. Understand that this is a business, and making money is the point of business, but they do it in a way the belittles all, and benefits very few. The "massive" number of turnovers in just the IT department alone would have been enough to remove most of middle management and all of HR in most companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up, and start dealing with your massive turnover rate problems. Get a valid method of performance appraisal in place, and start acting on them. Stop playing favorites for family members and those in the good-ol-boy network, and allow your company to thrive appropriately. Some of the founding board members and upper management in this company were family friends, and they would be appalled at what you have done to their once proud company.
    When asked, I do not recommend this employer to my friends, or to those who are not. You should fix that kind of outlook on your company.

Good

Electrical Design Engineer (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsIt's great working with people that cares about the job and have fun on the job.

Consjust like any other big company

Upper Management does not care.

Assembly Supervisor (Former Employee) Welcome, NC

ProsThe people that worked for me were good.

ConsManagement didn't care about Supervisors or floor associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractive the Golden Rule

Worked for Emerson? Contribute to the Community!