Emerson

Emerson Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Emerson Chairman and CEO David N. Farr

David N. Farr

Pros:
  • "In general work / life balance is good for most people"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Stable company, well organized, decent work-life balance, good training"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Career Growth and Work life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "just like any other big company"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsBalance to work and life

Consnone I don't have any cons

Director

Director (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsStrong, stable management team at the senior executive level
    Excellent financial and business planning
    Good reputation in the marketplaces they serve
    Generally good, work life balance

ConsHuge differences in culture and compensation across different operating units
    Salaries will lag the industry average over time
    Reluctance to let poor performers go
    Company tends to work in silos across the business platforms

Advice to Senior ManagementBe quicker to react and let go of poor performers
    Establish standard compensation planning across business units

Stable, Secure, but lacks the young zest of creativity

ProsA very big stable company. Lots of interaction with colleagues around the Globe. Work-life balance is fantastic.

ConsSince it is a big company, it is hard to make a mark in the industry. Specially when you are working in the remote/offshoring offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe it will best if they can also try to see the leadership potentials in their new employees specially in the offshores.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work life balance

IT Analyst I (Current Employee)
    Makati City (Philippines)

ProsGood work life balance. The job is not that toxic as compared to other jobs in the industry.

ConsSalary is not as high compared to other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the salary of the employees

Great Place to Cultivate a Career

Technology Professional (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsLots of opportunities to grow and advance in all areas of the business. Generally promotes from within. Strong mentoring program and great educational support.. Training is available to all employees and encouraged. Passionate people at the leadership level and very goal oriented. Facilities across the globe are fantastic and the corporate campus in St. Louis is particularly beautiful with multiple cafeterias and gyms. Work/life balance is for the most part maintained though travel requirements for leadership roles can be taxing.

ConsAs with many large companies Emerson can be slow to change and some of the creativity is missing that can be present in smaller firms. Compensation is comparable but can be slow to increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more input from all levels of the business when setting company goals, there can be a perception of an ivory tower.

Really Good Company

ProsValues their employees and has a very good business pan for continued sustainability

ConsNot too many turn-over, reducing opportunities available for advancement

Great Place to Learn, Great Place to Retire (if you can stay employed)

Director, Engineering (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsEmerson has great processes and strong, stable leadership. It has great training infrastructure for its leaders, including very effective mandatory training for first-line managers and 360 reviews for directors and above. The company focus on profitability assures that the company at least is viable going concern and will be around for the indefinite future. The company has a fantastic retirement plan if you don't get laid off before you can build it up. For those who join now, there is a profit sharing contribution to your retirement. The older folks get a pension.

ConsIt's incredibly difficult to cull out poor performers - especially at the individual contributor level, but when profitability of a business unit is an issue, a layoff can ensue that takes out a whole swath of people - both good and bad.

The culture tends to breed a lot of cliques and factions - both inside the various business units and especially between them. There are mandates to the business units to collaborate more effectively but for the most part these mandates are only given lip service. Each BU and Line of Business has its own P&L - to which incentive pay is based - and *everyone* is short staffed. Hence there is significant disincentive to collaborate if there is no way for both BU's to heavily monetize the opportunity.

The company has a strategy to move into MRO & Energy services enabled by enterprise software. This strategy permeates the business with teams in every platform (Climate, Process, IA, etc) trying to execute it.

Unfortunately, the company is not a true software development company - it is a component manufacturer with firmware development for the electronics it sells. Software development - especially enterprise software development - is an enigma to senior leadership.

Therefore, while the software-enabled service strategy conceptually seems like a great idea, it has been extremely problematic to monetize. Many of the issues lie with the execution, but quite frankly the initial strategy was flawed as well. I'm not sure if there have been adjustments since 2013.

Finally - the place is a case study in unfunded mandates. I heard "we need to do more with less" so many times that it ceased to have any meaning. There are process groups that expect compliance with certain process changes but the funding for the QA and project management heads to implement the changes is never there..

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more willing to admit that a strategy isn't working and come up with a new approach. People in the office of the chief executive need to be willing to allow the business units more flexibility in their go-to-market approach for services and software. Be willing to take a hit in profitability and do what it takes to truly fund innovation. Don't make it so hard to fire people.

Overall, Emerson is a good place to work

ProsThe work life balance at Emerson is excellent. Great respect for making sure that balance is in place. Numerous individuals with decades within the company.

ConsThe locations that Emerson tends to locate it's businesses tend to be a bit rural.

Great company to do your internship with

Project Technician (Former Employee)
    Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

Pros- Salary is decent;
    - Pleasant working environment, the people there are friendly and helpful. Even if you don't know exactly what you have to do right away, they give you an accommodation period during which you get the chance to learn about your job duties.
    - Flexible working hours;
    - I didn't attend any training courses during my internship but new employees take a training course in DeltaV if they apply for a position in the PSS department, for example;
    - They offer courses for learning a new language (not for interns);
    - There is a cafeteria on campus where the food is relatively cheap;

Cons- Location. It's situated outside the city limits and traveling to and from work can take about ~2 hours a day if you live near the city center;
    - They didn't seem to have many free "cubicles" so I had to switch desks a lot;
    - A lot of bureaucracy.

A great start-up for a junior student

Assistant of Markeing Manager (Former Employee)
    Beijing, Beijing (China)

ProsOne of the 500 hundreds, great opportunities to study and learn.

ConsSo strictly and formal working environment

Worked for Emerson? Contribute to the Community!

Emerson Videos

Emerson – Why Work for Us?

What We Do Emerson brings together technology and engineering to create innovative solutions for customers in a wide range of industrial, commercial, and consumer markets. What Emerson provides: • Reliable and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Emerson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Emerson CEO David N. Farr. All 158 reviews posted anonymously by Emerson employees.