Emerson

Emerson Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Emerson Chairman and CEO David N. Farr

David N. Farr

Pros
  • In general work / life balance is good for most people (in 15 reviews)

• Stable company, well organized, decent work-life balance, good training (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • work - life balance is not so great (in 4 reviews)

• just like any other big company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Well balanced company

Information Technician (Current Employee)

ProsWork-Home life seem to be very balanced in this company (and even more-so depending on your boss).
    Vacation accumulates fairly quickly.
    They like to keep individuals in house, it is easy to move up the ladder here.

ConsThe HR staff here moves slower than any HR group that I have ever worked with before!
    The salaries at times can seem to be a little less competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to make sacrifices to keep solid employees. There have been many good employees leave for an outside company because Emerson would not meet some simple requests.

Lousy....

Prosapproachable leaders, decent pay/benefits, time off policies are okay

Consold-fashioned, top-down company, unreasonable workload, lack of development/mentorship programs, lack of support, lack of training

Great

Engineer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsBalance to work and life

Consnone I don't have any cons

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Director

Director (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsStrong, stable management team at the senior executive level
    Excellent financial and business planning
    Good reputation in the marketplaces they serve
    Generally good, work life balance

ConsHuge differences in culture and compensation across different operating units
    Salaries will lag the industry average over time
    Reluctance to let poor performers go
    Company tends to work in silos across the business platforms

Advice to Senior ManagementBe quicker to react and let go of poor performers
    Establish standard compensation planning across business units

Complicated environment with little direction.

Sales Facilitator (Former Employee) Niwot, CO

ProsI really don't have anything good to say about this company.

ConsOverworked, underpaid, too little direction, the left foot doesn't know where the right foot is headed.

Lead man

Lead Man (Former Employee) Chino, CA

ProsThere are none they don't teach you anything I learned on my own or from watching others maybe one pro is a paycheck but the company doesn't pay well.

Constraining management is awful they don't pay well supervisors need to be investigated for others to see how poorly they do there jobs

Advice to Senior Managementtrain your employees better and don't let management write people up for others mistakes also pay setup people operators and lead man better

Great Place to Cultivate a Career

Technology Professional (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsLots of opportunities to grow and advance in all areas of the business. Generally promotes from within. Strong mentoring program and great educational support.. Training is available to all employees and encouraged. Passionate people at the leadership level and very goal oriented. Facilities across the globe are fantastic and the corporate campus in St. Louis is particularly beautiful with multiple cafeterias and gyms. Work/life balance is for the most part maintained though travel requirements for leadership roles can be taxing.

ConsAs with many large companies Emerson can be slow to change and some of the creativity is missing that can be present in smaller firms. Compensation is comparable but can be slow to increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more input from all levels of the business when setting company goals, there can be a perception of an ivory tower.

Really Good Company

ProsValues their employees and has a very good business pan for continued sustainability

ConsNot too many turn-over, reducing opportunities available for advancement

it is a stable workplace

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosmedical facility on campus, pension plan, regular work hours, nice campus, gym on campus, stable company

Conscommunication, employees over 50 are not valued, a lot of bureaucracy, no bonuses for those not in upper management, salary increases below standard

Advice to Senior Managementbe fair to workers of all ages and share the wealth with all those who are working to make you rich

Good company to make a career with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood pay, benefits, potential to move within the organization to other companies in the portfolio, training opportunities. If you make smart choices you could spend your entire career in this company. Emerson has a portfolio of companies and the span the globe. Within my division alone was Intermetro Industries, Ridge Tool, Closet Maid, Insinkerator and there are Emerson climate tech, and others.

ConsI was laid off when the company moved work to PA and I didnt want to move. They were generous with my severance package, but I was a manager. I don't think the workers fared as well.

Worked for Emerson? Contribute to the Community!