Emerson Reviews

780 reviews filtered by
3.5
Emerson Chairman and CEO David N. Farr
David N. Farr

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, travel expectations are low for some positions (in 17 reviews)

• Stable company, well organized, decent work-life balance, good training (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • work - life balance is not so great (in 4 reviews)

• For such a big company with such a magnitude, they extremely under-pay their employees (in 4 reviews)

1. Decent company to work for.

Current Employee - Product Planner in Sidney, OH
    Current Employee - Product Planner in Sidney, OH

I have been working at Emerson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good group of people to work with. Salary is ok. Very dominant market positions.

Cons

Not willing to make the necessary investments to grow. Locations aren't attractive.

2. It was a good starting experience, but it's important for what business unit you are working

I worked at Emerson full-time

Pros

-Very friendly atmosphere, even though there was a lot of work to do
    -Great colleagues that were always open to help you
    -The company is willing to invest in you and your preparation by sending you abroad in order to understand better the business (for those working remote)
    -The top management people I've met are very qualitative (those that are in charge of an area or are VPs), some of them showing even leadership, not just management
    -Good company where you can start your career
    -Good salaries for entry level positions and good benefits

Cons

-some things are going with the flow and sometimes I felt that ENP is years behind EPM or other platforms and I felt such a huge difference when I asked people who were working for other platforms ...
    -Feedback received late (actually it became irrelevant after 1 month or 2 months), some higher managers do not know how to give feedback, how to express themselves and they are willing just to throw some words without thinking that it's useless and that they can harm
    -As entry level person, some things were said in your face and others by behind which is not healthy and you cannot develop yourself + lots of frustrations
    -Way too long time for some processes, people were giving up (when talking about recruitment for example) and sometimes even for other processes you were waiting 1 month in order to receive some approvals
    -Some tasks were given in such short time that sometimes you had a lot of work to do in just 1 hour

Don't expect people to be experts in 1 month in 2 or 3 different areas, if we are talking about entry level positions, especially more difficult ones.
    -Make less general job descriptions, because when you get there you realize it was not what you were expecting
    -Check why there are a lot of people leaving and resigning, because it's not effective to have 5 people in 2 years for the same position (when we are talking that it's just 1 position open for that specific job)
    -Make more attractive hiring announcements, if it weren't for a friend, I would have passed by the one I applied for

3. Lack of leadership

Former Employee - Commodity Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Commodity Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Emerson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

9/80 and those in non-management positions are always looking to do the right thing and easy to work with.

Cons

Decisions come from VP's only and VP's are rarely on the same page.

Trust your employees, give them the tools to do the job and let them take responsibility.

5. Emerson Network Power

I have been working at Emerson

Pros

Good environment. Good pay. Near our house.

Cons

Im a new hire so no comment for these at the moment

Increase salary

6. Best company I've worked so far!

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Emerson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of software engineering products to work /develop on. Trainings when needed are always given;

Cons

Not much really since I love working with this company. Been here for 9 yrs and counting

7. Great for experience but has low compensation

Current Employee - Associate in Quezon City, National Capital Region (Philippines)

I have been working at Emerson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work culture is very good. Managers are friendly with staff and there's a lot of training. Company is growing systematically, sustaining annual increase for performing employees. Also has good benefits.

Cons

Compensation is claimed to be competitive though I'm quite dubious. Has its share of power-tripping managers but I guess every workplace has at least one.

Great job on handling and motivating people. Keep it up!

8. My experience @ Emerson was very rewarding and fulfilling both for my career and personal life.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Emerson full-time

Pros

Challenging opportunities, always something to do
    Strong company history
    Lots of resources to support you
    Friendly staff

Cons

Turnover (large company, tough economic times)

9. Good working environment

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Pune (India)

I have been working at Emerson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Learning Environment
    good for freshers to start their carrier

Cons

There is no cons i found since last two years

Corporate Bullies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at Emerson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Emerson is a large, stable conservative company which has been in business for a long time. It has several divisions in locations around the world.

Cons

Emerson values managers who intimidate their employees. Lying is commonplace but if you question any manager on their lies, they will retaliate. Promises during interviews and annual appraisals are given out generously. However, high productivity matters little, while creativity and ingenuity are suppressed. Red tape, roadblocks, unreasonable expectations and management politics prevent success of projects, and the blame is always pointed down to the employees.
    Low starting salaries are followed by small raises. Promotions are only given to those in the small executive clique.
    I've worked in 2 different divisions of Emerson under several supervisors and managers. The threat of jobs being outsourced to India and China is constant.

Pull your heads out of the sand and treat your employees like humans. Bring jobs back to the U.S. from low cost countries. Pay a fair salary to your employees, give them a reason to want to work hard and a chance to be effective.

11. Good place to work

I worked at Emerson

Pros

Focused on quality and continuous improvement

Cons

Lower than average pay and PTO. Need an engineering degree to move up.