Emler Swim School Reviews

Updated March 20, 2015
11 reviews filtered by
3.7
Jan Emler

1. Emler was a great first job! Gave me opportunities I would not have been able to do in a bigger company.

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Since the company was small when I started, cross training was a big thing there. This allowed me to learn how to check & adjust the the pool chemicals, teach the classes, work in the office, participate in marketing & hiring events, & move into management at a very young age. I left Emler to go to college, and got a job in management, within my field of study, 10x's faster than expected due to my management experience at Emler.

Cons

Working in the pool for 4+ days a week plays a toll on your skin. You will always smell like chlorine, even after you have showered. The level of chlorine has to be higher than a home pool due to the bather load per day. It is safe to be in the pool for the long hours, but it can irritate your skin if your in it more than 3 days a week consistently.

PPE should be required when handling chemicals in the pump rooms. It probably is a requirement now, but it was not when I was there a long time ago.

2. This is a fun job, good pay and good benefits.

Current Employee - Manager in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in DFW, TX

I have been working at Emler Swim School full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with kids is fun and rewarding, we are teaching a life saving skill. I enjoy having a set schedule and Sunday's off with one day off during the week. We are usual done by 2 on Saturday so it doesn't bother me. The pay is good and there is lots of room to move up, we are adding new locations every year. The culture is great here and we are like a big family. Oh and we are closed on Thanksgiving for most of the week and 2 weeks over Christmas and New Years, that is paid time off in addition to our regular time off.

Cons

We are growing so fast so it can be hard to keep up with staffing.

3. Nice work environment but some cons

Current Employee - Instructor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Emler Swim School

Pros

Nice place to work, you'll love it you love kids

Cons

Can't work full time if you're a teacher in the water as the water will destroy your skin. Also font get paid for students not showing up to class

Get some better managers

5. Great for Customers, not so great for Employees

Former Employee - Swim Instructor, Office Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Swim Instructor, Office Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Kids are adorable and customers are almost always satisfied, because Emler is ALL about customer service and satisfaction. Tight knit group of employee's--feels like a family. I made some of my best friends for life while working here.

Cons

High turn over rate for employee's resulting in hiring desperation. They will hire almost anyone, and over half of the swim instructors have had NO previous back ground in swimming or any swimming knowledge. Lessons are bogus. They force families to pay up front for an entire season of lessons with no refunds if it is not going well, but they will give the customers anything else that they want. The CEO said the words "customers are more important that employee's." Corporate management is like a cult, and if they get one hint of disagreement from one of their employee's, they will stop at nothing to get rid of you. The company is very greedy. They force families to pay up front, but if an instructor's class does not show up, the teacher does nor get paid for that lesson....even thought Emler already has the money and the employee already did their part by being present for the lesson. Corporate is extremely fake-nice. Mediocre pay for the hard work and time required for the job. Also, you MUST have a sub scheduled to cover your shifts in order not to get in trouble. Meaning, if you become ill and cannot get your shift covered, you are penalized for it. Extremely unfair in alot of circumstances.

Find a better system for subs and getting shifts covered. It makes it really hard for employees when they are sick or just simply need a couple of days off. Stop being so fake and secretive. It's extremely obvious to other employees. Obviously, it is important to have happy customers, but you would not even have customers if it weren't for your employees, so treat them with some respect. Stop being so greedy. You hide behind your "christian values" and then turn right around and stab your loyal employees in the back. Get a back bone and stop bending over for all of your customers. They all take advantage of you. Try to pay attention and investigate more important matters rather that listening to employee gossip creating drama, choosing favorites and being out to get anyone who might have a different view from your management cult. Once you've been here long enough, you start to see what really goes on behind closed doors.

6. One of the best jobs!

Former Employee - Swim Teacher and Lifeguard in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Swim Teacher and Lifeguard in Frisco, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you love having fun, working with kid, and swimming tho is your place! I worked here for 2.5 years and enjoyed it all! The employees are nice, and supportive and we are like a huge family! The pay was fantastic! I really enjoyed the employee outings, and the chance to get raised often!

Cons

Constantly got sick in the winter time from being around kids. Trying to find a sub was like pulling teeth out. If you didn't find a sub when you were sick you got penalized for it.

Don't penalize when we get sick and no one will sub for us. Help us out.

7. Great company if you're an hourly employee

I have been working at Emler Swim School full-time

Pros

Customer satisfaction and teaching kids to swim is really what Emler boils down to. All managers are concerned with ensuring the customer leaves happy, and if someone is unhappy they go above and beyond to fix it. The kids are great to work with, and they really love being able to see the same teachers every week. Overall, Emler has a great philosophy for teaching kids and making sure parents are happy. Coworkers are great, and most of the time everyone has a really positive attitude about their job.

Cons

The hours. If you are a manager you are expected to close at least 3 if not 4 nights a week, and to be there all day Saturday. The schedule isn't exactly conducive for a family or social life. Sunday's the facility is closed for lessons, but you might be the Manager on Duty, meaning you need to go up to the facility to check on the party if there is one, or check in on the facility. Taking time off can be a hassle if nobody is available to take a shift. Even as a manager you need a sub for your shift vs a standard job where you submit your time off and that's that. Emler is open for every holiday with the exception of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.

As an hourly employee you have a bit more freedom to take time off, and the facility is typically great about working around your schedule if you're in school or have another part time job, but finding a sub can still be hard.

Remember to take care of your managers who aren't Site Director. So much time is spent talking about how we can make the lives of hourly employees better that it can make your other managers feel like they don't matter. Site Directors are taken on retreats, given higher bonuses, and have much better hours, so unless you're an hourly employee or Site Director, the glamour of the position is underwhelming.

8. A fun place to work if you like kids and water.

I have been working at Emler Swim School full-time

Pros

Fun environment of young people. Lots of feedback on how to make things better and provide a great customer experience. It's nice to get to know all your customers and watch kids grow up as they learn the life-saving skill of swimming. You also hear stories of how kids rescued themselves because of what they learned at Emler. Very rewarding.

Cons

You're on your feet a lot and can be very tiring. Have to learn every child's name which is challenging. Also work nights and weekends. And they don't close for holidays other than Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Would like to have time-off during other major holidays. Pay and benefits are okay, but could be better. Not many opportunities to move into the corporate level.

9. All in all this is a great place to work

I worked at Emler Swim School (more than a year)

Pros

If you love children, this is the best place to work!! Everyone is usually in a great mood so that is a plus.

Cons

The hours are awful! If you are an hourly employee, you hardly get any hours. If you are full time, they work you to death. You must work every Saturday. Also if you are a teacher and your students do not show up for class, you do not get paid...doesn't really seem fair, but I get it.

10. Fun!

I have been working at Emler Swim School part-time

Pros

The most adorable children and awesome people to work with!!

Cons

I don't think this company has any cons

Fun, supportive environment with the most adorable customers ever.

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Austin, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is SO nice. Everyone that works there is amazingly supportive. I haven't had that many jobs as of yet but it's seriously the best one I've ever had. I love swimming and I love kids already, though.

Cons

It's pretty hard work... I mean, you are seriously moving around and shouting for hours at a time, while soaking wet. But the kids are so much fun. Also if you don't already like kids this probably isn't the job for you, because if you aren't really nice to them, they can tell and act up way worse.