Emmis Communications

Emmis Communications Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Smulyan

Jeff Smulyan

Struggling industry with issues in Management, Budget and Organization

Promotions Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompany allows for many young adults to have supervisory and management positions

ConsNo organization
    Low budgets due to industry decline
    Incompetent people in supervisory roles
    Not enough training for employees and very little opportunity for growth and/or full time employment opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees better before promoting them into supervisory roles
    By, affording productive employees with full-time status instead of having them remain part-time employees (while requiring full time hours) so you won't have to give them benefits is just plain unfair. Take care of your employees better and they'll do a better job.

Be wary of current management at WIBC.

WIBC News Anchor/Reporter (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsFun company culture in departments outside of WIBC
    Solid values and reputation

ConsWIBC:
    Inept management (micromanagement w/o individual willingness to contribute to the success of the team)
    Overworked and underpaid
    Erratic hours
    Frequently asked to work on weekends, holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementMeet the same expectations you set for WIBC employees. Show appreciation for the hard work performed by many members of the team.

A solid company culture

Project Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe 11 pillars of Emmis are good guidelines to work and live by.
    At Emmis you have the opportunity to work alongside some extremely talented individuals.

ConsThe salaries at Emmis are not competitive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company for talent growth

Sales (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsMiddle management that can nurture talent. Great resources to help in the development of talent. A community leading company.

ConsSmall in scope company compared to others in the industry. Not a lot of room for career advancement.

12 years as the assistant to the National Sales Manager

Executive Assistant to National Sales Manager (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsTeam atmosphere, no big brother watching, compassionate management, stick together attitude!

ConsRadio is a tough business overall but we have a great team!

Great culture, Company Does Right By Its People

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsStrong people focused culture, creative business, people enjoy one another and like to have fun

ConsChallenged businesses have slow growth prospects

Advice to Senior ManagementShed losing businesses and invest in winners

One of the BEST Media companies to work for!

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsEmmis Communications is a world wide publicly traded company that lives their 11 Commandments. This is a company that rewards it's employees for hard work and vision.

ConsThey expect you to be "on your game" and break barriers....the future is something that Emmis Communications isn't afraid to venture into.

Review of Emmis Austin Communications

Account Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat family atmosphere from those that work at the Austin Office. These are people that have been in the business a long time and they understand the way business has been done and how it's changing.

ConsThe ceiling can be low on moving up. Not every manager has your best interest in mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen 10 employees leave under one manager, you might have a bigger issue to look at.

It's OK

Continuity Director (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe foundation of the company is, I believe, good. The culture Emmis tries to cultivate is one of being upright, open, rational & fun. There's also a bit freedom that comes with working here. I'm left alone to do my job with limited interference. We hear fairly regularly about how Emmis believes in being good to their people. They give raises & bonuses when they can. The standard full time benefits are better than some. Emmis talks about hiring the best people because that's how you get the best results. It's a good place to be creative.

ConsNeighborhood we live in is less a than desireable area & the building is too small (7 stations in a building originally built for only 2). Pay is downright insulting after so many years of (really good) service to this company. Office politics can be a pain to deal with here, often leaving me feeling defeated and exhausted at the end of the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementLocal Management: I'm not a minion here to do your job for you. I am here to keep every commercial on all of our 7 stations (14 if you count the streaming stations) organized and correct on the air. My position is highly specialized & I have 10+ years of experience. It's also almost 60 people that are utilizing the services of the 1.5 people in my department - more often than not with impatience & limited focus on important details. The hardest part of this job is dealing with co-workers that have no respect for my knowledge of the production process & how to keep the most money in their paychecks - instead choosing to question my methods & throwing fits when errors I told them would happen come to fruition. I'm good at what I do, I keep A LOT of money on the books and I ask that the managers trust & respect my abililty to do my job right in order for your employees to follow suit.

Radio Sales

Account Executive (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIncredible freedom, great work atmosphere, tons of fringe benefits, management that inspires evolution and embraces change, 100% commission, great culture (11 Commandments of Emmis Communications), have a finger on the pulse of the city's entertainment scene, make connections all over town, management is easy-going

ConsEarning potential has a ceiling, 100% commission, necessary job tools (phone, car, etc.) not covered, industry becoming more and more competitive (radio share is decreasing), "skip paychecks" twice annually, very difficult business to get started in (start below age 25!)

Advice to Senior ManagementLocal management needs to be able to confront issues with managers and employees more often

Worked for Emmis Communications? Contribute to the Community!