Emmis Communications

Jeff Smulyan

Struggling industry with issues in Management, Budget and Organization

Former Employee - Promotions Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Company allows for many young adults to have supervisory and management positions

Cons

No organization
    Low budgets due to industry decline
    Incompetent people in supervisory roles
    Not enough training for employees and very little opportunity for growth and/or full time employment opportunities

Train your employees better before promoting them into supervisory roles
    By, affording productive employees with full-time status instead of having them remain part-time employees (while requiring full time hours) so you won't have to give them benefits is just plain unfair. Take care of your employees better and they'll do a better job.

A solid company culture

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

The 11 pillars of Emmis are good guidelines to work and live by.
    At Emmis you have the opportunity to work alongside some extremely talented individuals.

Cons

The salaries at Emmis are not competitive.

Be wary of current management at WIBC.

Former Employee - WIBC News Anchor/Reporter  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - WIBC News Anchor/Reporter in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Fun company culture in departments outside of WIBC
    Solid values and reputation

Cons

WIBC:
    Inept management (micromanagement w/o individual willingness to contribute to the success of the team)
    Overworked and underpaid
    Erratic hours
    Frequently asked to work on weekends, holidays

Meet the same expectations you set for WIBC employees. Show appreciation for the hard work performed by many members of the team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company for talent growth

Current Employee - Sales  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Middle management that can nurture talent. Great resources to help in the development of talent. A community leading company.

Cons

Small in scope company compared to others in the industry. Not a lot of room for career advancement.

12 years as the assistant to the National Sales Manager

Current Employee - Executive Assistant to National Sales Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant to National Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Team atmosphere, no big brother watching, compassionate management, stick together attitude!

Cons

Radio is a tough business overall but we have a great team!

Great culture, Company Does Right By Its People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Strong people focused culture, creative business, people enjoy one another and like to have fun

Cons

Challenged businesses have slow growth prospects

Shed losing businesses and invest in winners

One of the BEST Media companies to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Emmis Communications is a world wide publicly traded company that lives their 11 Commandments. This is a company that rewards it's employees for hard work and vision.

Cons

They expect you to be "on your game" and break barriers....the future is something that Emmis Communications isn't afraid to venture into.

Radio Sales

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

Pros

Incredible freedom, great work atmosphere, tons of fringe benefits, management that inspires evolution and embraces change, 100% commission, great culture (11 Commandments of Emmis Communications), have a finger on the pulse of the city's entertainment scene, make connections all over town, management is easy-going

Cons

Earning potential has a ceiling, 100% commission, necessary job tools (phone, car, etc.) not covered, industry becoming more and more competitive (radio share is decreasing), "skip paychecks" twice annually, very difficult business to get started in (start below age 25!)

Local management needs to be able to confront issues with managers and employees more often

Review of Emmis Austin Communications

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Great family atmosphere from those that work at the Austin Office. These are people that have been in the business a long time and they understand the way business has been done and how it's changing.

Cons

The ceiling can be low on moving up. Not every manager has your best interest in mind.

When 10 employees leave under one manager, you might have a bigger issue to look at.

It's OK

Current Employee - Continuity Director  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Continuity Director in Austin, TX

Pros

The foundation of the company is, I believe, good. The culture Emmis tries to cultivate is one of being upright, open, rational & fun. There's also a bit freedom that comes with working here. I'm left alone to do my job with limited interference. We hear fairly regularly about how Emmis believes in being good to their people. They give raises & bonuses when they can. The standard full time benefits are better than some. Emmis talks about hiring the best people because that's how you get the best results. It's a good place to be creative.

Cons

Neighborhood we live in is less a than desireable area & the building is too small (7 stations in a building originally built for only 2). Pay is downright insulting after so many years of (really good) service to this company. Office politics can be a pain to deal with here, often leaving me feeling defeated and exhausted at the end of the day.

Local Management: I'm not a minion here to do your job for you. I am here to keep every commercial on all of our 7 stations (14 if you count the streaming stations) organized and correct on the air. My position is highly specialized & I have 10+ years of experience. It's also almost 60 people that are utilizing the services of the 1.5 people in my department - more often than not with impatience & limited focus on important details. The hardest part of this job is dealing with co-workers that have no respect for my knowledge of the production process & how to keep the most money in their paychecks - instead choosing to question my methods & throwing fits when errors I told them would happen come to fruition. I'm good at what I do, I keep A LOT of money on the books and I ask that the managers trust & respect my abililty to do my job right in order for your employees to follow suit.

Worked for Emmis Communications? Contribute to the Community!