Emory Healthcare Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated August 2, 2014

3.2

Emory Healthcare President & CEO John T. Fox
John T. Fox

Pros
  • High quality employees and good benefits in place (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits; fair pay; job can be very stressful at time (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers can sometimes get so entangled in "meeting the numbers"that they forget/disregard "meeting the needs of your employees" (in 2 reviews)

• Implementation of new technology has been slow (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Emory formed a joint venture with Saint Joseph's Hospital which changed the organization tremendously.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Emory is like most large organizations...... too big with too many processes to go through to get anything done in a timely manner. The benefits are good... tuition assistance and 401k cannot be ignored plus you have a wide selection to some of the best healthcare in the nation. The CEO is great and has vision but need to reign in Saint Joseph's old way of doing things.

Cons

This joint venture placed a lot of drain on Emory because most of the senior management that were kept in place at Saint Joseph's cannot adapt to the Emory model. I predict a large layoff just around the corner. There are lots of career opportunities but is difficult to move around.... both horizontal and vertical. It takes too long to even get responses on job submittals.

none

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great colleagues, I've made some really good friends here.
    Senior Leadership has a strong desire to make this a top Healthcare organization.
    Doctors and nurses work well together, everyone is mostly respectfull
    The paid benefits are very good

Cons

Pay is lower than surrounding hospitals
    To many un-needed therapies are ordered and it can be difficult to get them changed, especially when patients are not in the ICU. This is because doctors are difficult to reach when their patients are no longer critical.
    There are vast differences in the culture around the different hospitals in the system.

Improve tranparency
    Improve the departmental/unit leadership.

15 year plus employee now subjected to age discrimination

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love my coworkers. and have enjoyed my time at Emory for the most part.

Cons

Spine Center's current administration has demoralized the entire staff. There has been more turnover in the past 3 years than in my memory of previous years. Management will not acknowledge we have a life and family commitments outside of work. Dept of Orthopedics Administrator has placed a target on the back of all long term employees. A real shame one person can disassemble a premier department.

Shake up the organization starting at the top

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I would recommend Emory Healthcare to others.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits; fair pay; job can be very stressful at time

Cons

Could improve on leadership and listening to the employees; job can be very stressful at time; seems as if we are moving from patient bedside care to focusing more on papers, double charting; have to push heavy WOW computers around to scan medications (there are more convenient and smaller ones out there); cafeteria food could be improved

Listen to the employees; more get togethers for the staff

Emory Health

Current Employee - Medical - Internist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Medical - Internist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Reputation for treating patients

Cons

Long work hours despite mediocre salary

Top-notch healthcare workplace.

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Emory Healthcare as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great standards for healthcare, and always looking for innovative ways to improve. High quality employees and good benefits in place.

Cons

High level leaders like to implement new technologies before renovating current units that badly need it. Can be hard to work your way up through promotions.

Check egos in order to better the place instead of trying some new thing to better your credentials.

Positive experience at Emoryhealthcare

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training in updated equipment is swift, promotions are done in a timely manner and the leadership I worked under has a positive influence on the staff. I enjoyed my working relationship.

Cons

My benefits are very good. The time off policies and very fair and my work life balance is reasonable. I work 32 hours a week and have five days off every week.

My experience at Emory is so positive I have nothing I would like to change but find a position that I can work 40 hours a week at..

Discouraging, Disheartening and Disappointing.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The self service feature within your employee profile. Sadly, this was the best "pro" that comes to mind.

Cons

Employees should expect to become a nameless, faceless #, whose input as well as existence are irrelevant.

Focus is placed heavily upon following cookie cutter (and often illogical) protocol, rather than objectively assessing situations or areas individually which may not fit that mold, thus creating a counter productive and frustrating environment to successfully and diligently work within.

Advancement opportunities are smothered by degree requirements for just about anything, including entry level and low paying positions with little to no consideration given for years of experience.

Tenure, commitment and loyalty are not rewarded or valued. In fact, those traits makes you more vulnerable.

Antiquated systems, processes and mentality.

A very pass the buck type of environment with more rules, "teams" and "higher powers that be" who seemingly ultimately prove to have no actual skill or comprehension of how to truly fulfill the roles they were so undeservingly assigned based only by meeting the "on paper" requirements. Many of whom have no real experience or understanding of even the most basic foundations of the healthcare industry.

Lack of accountability. High turnover. Low compensation. Lumped together earned personal time, which is stolen to cover all holidays which the company chooses to honor. No bonuses.

Inflexibility and injustices abound, which only breeds resentment and a negative type of competitiveness amongst coworkers.

Break the mold! There is no one format that can apply to everything. There are too many variables in life and in business. If you provide the proper tools and invest in the right types of employees, you could truly become a GREAT company instead of just a BIG cold corporation.
    Value your dedicated hard working employees. Reward them, not discourage them or mistreat them. If you treat good people like you care about them, you will be amazed to see how much they care about working even harder for the company.

Nurse Tech

Current Employee - Nurse Tech  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Nurse Tech in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory Healthcare part-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is very well-run in general and management pays attention to employee needs. Would recommend to others.

Cons

Nurse technician starting salary could be higher; otherwise no major complaints.

A top academic institution

Current Employee - Surgeon  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Surgeon in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic colleagues, working with the best, great support for management of difficult/complex patients

Cons

Sometimes loses focus on the educational mission of the medical school and residency programs, can be too profit driven even when departments are doing very well and could make more mission based decisions.

Seek to develop a more inclusive culture, learning what department as a whole thinks instead of only pushing the vision of one person.

Worked for Emory Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!