www.emory.edu

Updated December 1, 2014
4.0

Emory University President Jim Wagner
Jim Wagner

Pros
  • Not a cutthroat culture and generally there is a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• The work environment is quite pleasant (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for advancement in my current role (in 4 reviews)

• There was not enough room for growth within the University and the opportunities that arise go rather quickly (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

193 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Relations in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Emory offers a great deal of flexibility and alternative work arrangements (work from home, telecommute, etc.). Benefits are good, especially the employee courtesy scholarship. I was able to get my MBA while working at the school for far less than out of pocket than what I would have paid without it.

Cons

The pay isn't the best. It could be more competitive with other schools in the area. There is a need to lay out clearer career paths so that people know how they can advance their careers without having to leave.

Work on retaining talent. The cost of bringing a new person up to speed is rarely considered when making decisions about raises and such.

Research Specialist

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Research Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Emory University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great scientific opportunity for those coming straight from their bachelor's degree and considering higher education degrees. Depending on your principal investigator, there are opportunities to be published, go to weekly seminars with guest speakers, and network with senior scientists.

Cons

As a entry-level scientist, you're limited to what you can do. Additionally, you have to clock in/out daily.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Emory University as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Research team was very friendly and great atmosphere. Work hours were flexible. Great environment for higher education and innovative research.

Cons

Positions are very static. It is quite difficult to get a promotion since there are not many vacant positions and those in the higher positions tend to stay there.

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Emory University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

easygoing people, no stress, very fun to work

Cons

not very efficient at times seem to not be able to meet deadlines

I was a student assistant as a work-study student. Great experience

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Emory University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall great environment, they hire the very best because it is such an esteemed institution. Very understanding of the work/ school balance and willing to work around it

Cons

Compensation was low, but what do you expect? You're a student assistant. Sometimes I wished I could work more hours, but it's hard to get that due to department budget constraints

I don't have any advice. Keep doing your thing!

good

Former Employee - Research Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Emory University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

learned a lot really a great place to grow and expand the opportunities.
    people are really nice here and are willing to help

Cons

the payment is average i guess due to its a part time job instead of a full time job.

but again, still a great place to start as a student

maybe they should give more opportunities to international students who really need an opportunity to make money and have some real life experience.

My experience was great...I was an Emory University employee, but a contractor at the CDC which was an amazing experience and an awesome opportunity to learn a variety of new things.

Current Employee - Senior Library Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Library Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The CDC is a place where you can learn a plethera of information due to the vast journals, articles, doctors and scientists, you have an opportunity to connct with daily. These people are serious about making the world a healthier, safer place to live and most of them go above and beyond the call of duty to get the job done.

Cons

Some days you work extremely long hours. I'm sure this current Ebola situation has some people working 12-16 hour day and night shifts. But the reward comes when your work or research has helped to aid and assist in.solving or diminishing whatver the problem was.

Management should always consider input from office staff at any level. People have the tendency especially in today's market to be employed in aas outside of their normal area of expertise. That's fine, but Management would be amazed sometimes at the. vast knowledge employees have in areas outside of their work experience. I learned early in life that, "People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care".....and you would be surprised at how much this reigns true across the board in all areas of business with people from all walks of life. People are apt to do more when they feel appreciated. Thank you goes a long way.

It all depends on your boss

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The health benefits are good. Emory is a strong academic institution. There is a lot of good scientific research happening.

Cons

As a postdoc here, your lab P.I. has complete power over your hours, work environment, and future opportunities.

Set up some mechanism for students, postdocs, and employees to have a voice other than through the single channel of their lab P.I.

For biomedical researchers, Atlanta is a bigger problem than Emory itself.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The campus is safe when compared to many medical campus in big cities. Good medical insurance.

Cons

(1)Postdocs get salaries below the NIH suggested levels.
    (2)Atlanta is very isolated in the southeast, so the quality of the biomedical research seminars at Emory fall far below its peers on the coasts. And it's almost a desert for biotech/pharma industry, so when most companies tend to hire from local candidates, a postdoc from Emory stands much less chance than a postdoc from Boston.
    (3) Your life quality depends on your PI. You may be lucky to enjoy your life, or you may be pushed towards the end of your nerves. Alternatives are much harder to find when you're confined in Atlanta where resources are scarce.

Research at Emory

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emory University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Emory IT connection is great. You can use one user name to access all core facilities and IT services. Personnel at research core facilities are generally amazing, very knowledgeable and informative. Research resources are great.

Cons

Bureaucratic paper work has been increasing and decreased efficiency of research work. Human resource at department of hematology and medical oncology is utterly unhelpful.

Emory University Photos