Emory University

www.emory.edu

Emory University Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Emory University – Atlanta – “Outside”

Emory University President Jim Wagner

Jim Wagner

Pros
  • Not a cutthroat culture and generally there is a good work/life balance(in 19 reviews)

• The work environment is quite pleasant(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of room for advancement(in 4 reviews)

• There was not enough room for growth within the University and the opportunities that arise go rather quickly(in 4 reviews)

Excellent place to work!

Client Services Representative I (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat Pay, Benefits, well established, Good vacation and you get to take school days off to (but not the summer).

ConsTraffic getting to the site can be bad. However, there are no other cons that i can think of. I would have never left had i live closer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Emory IT

ProsGreat work-life balance. Great people

ConsThe salaries lower than market

My experience was a great learning one.

ProsFacilities and modern equipped labs. Advisers are co-operative, highly knowledgable and very interactive.

ConsDifficulties in experimental research, experimental research is time taking, expensive and patience demanding. Sometimes data achieved is not what is expected. Many times we have to restart the experiment to match data in consistency.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe length of Ph.D. should be short than it should be. It should also be funded.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start a research career

Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAlways somebody in adjacent research labs that are willing and capable of helping you. Good benefit package for a first time employee.

ConsBureaucracy is quite significant. As an international employee it was generally taken care of but the wait for the HR department to process papers was excessive.

Great place to work!

Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI really liked the way students, residents, and fellows are treated at Emory - with utmost respect. This is not the case in some other universities where professors don't even say 'hi' to you. Benefits are good, especially starting your second year. Campus is just gorgeous, it's a pleasure to go for a walk for lunch.

ConsSince CDC is right around the corner, you get people going to two major organizations at once. Traffic on Clifton can get pretty bad in the morning and around 5 pm. That was pretty much the only bad thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into optimizing traffic flow on Clifton Road.

Interesting

Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsA very laid back, flexible work environment. The faulty and staff are great. Great "courtesy" scholarship package

ConsBig egos to deal with once in a while, pay could be better and "Why" do you pay to park to come to work...nonsense to many!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give better raises(you can afford it...look at tuition charges), Get rid of parking cost for employees($54.00 per month is crazy) Make Staff Fest an all day event and bring back LUNCH!!

I will leave this institution having had no mentorship and very little money for a little under ten years.

ProsThe environment can be intellectually stimulating, the campus is beautiful and well-kept, and there are small enclaves of supportive staff members who help graduate students on their journeys.

ConsThe stipend is not a lovable one, and although that is not unique to this school, my department could stand to bolster the benefits by actually putting a mentoring program in place so that graduate students have some degree of preparation for the job market.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a care about graduate students. Otherwise, you have thousands of people living for ten years on loans for the government and then leaving to make just ten thousand more than they made as graduate students.

My experience at Emory University was an exciting adventure.

Receptionist (Former Employee) Decatur, GA

ProsThe best reasons that I loved working for Emory University was that the students were wonderful, polite and fun to be around.

ConsThe challenges at Emory University were keeping up with the records of every student and the complaints of their financial aid and so on.
    I only worked part time and didn't receive any benefits and had a full time workload.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Friendly and Supportive

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe work load is light; there are a lot of restaurants and fun stuff to do nearby; the people here are very friendly and supportive, especially to international students. There is a large number of international students and employees at Emory.

ConsThe salary is not high;

Advice to Senior Managementraise the salary of graduate student. comparing to the endowment, that's nothing. But it will attract better students

Flexible, inspiring and encouraging

Senior Public Health Program Associate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFlexible work schedule, good benefits, students and classes help inspire.

ConsCompensation is very low, time-off is separated by vacation and sick time.

Worked for Emory University? Contribute to the Community!