Empire Education Group

3.1

Franklin K. Schoeneman

Home office employee

I have been working at Empire Education Group full-time

Pros

Empire has some really smart people working in the office, its a great place to learn and grow as a professional.
    Family-like environment, relativity small home office staff, you will see a lot of familiar faces and people are generally welcoming and friendly.
    Some departments are more progressive than others, depending on where you are you will be expected to keep up with the latest and bring up new ideas regularly, this is a great mentality and culture to work in.

Cons

Industry is struggling on two fronts, for-profit education in general, and cosmetology education both seem to be on the decline for about the past 3 years running. These are very difficult challenges that will take time to overcome, expect sacrifices in raises, benefits, and perks for the foreseeable future while the company gets back on track.

Heath care plan is bad, several of my coworkers found a better deal by purchasing insurance privately.
    No bonuses, infrequent and small raises, some years will have 0% raises, not a lot of room for promotion in many cases.

Pay will be below average, this is partly justified by the Pottsville location, but you can likely find significantly higher pay for the same type of position in nearby cities.

Find ways to give incentives or perks in replace of raises in times of struggle. There are number of ways to do this without breaking the bank. There is growing resentment among much of the staff that will reach a tipping point if nothing is done.

Executive Director

I worked at Empire Education Group full-time

Pros

Awesome company. Would love to get back them. I am currently trying to get rehired.

Cons

None. All companies have challenges. This is a great company who cares about their employees. The only thing I would recommend is improved communication.

None...when someone leaves with valid reason in less than a year and wants to come back...reinstate benefits, etc.

Quick Advancement

Former Employee - Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Empire Education Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Family orientated. Changing lives. A profession I love. Passionate Educators.

Cons

Difficult students to work with. Administrative pay is low. Company changes and policy changes are not relayed to the school levels in sufficient time , nor accurately.

It would be nice if corporate could see what really goes on at the school level. The types of students' the educators and staff have to deal with and how hard the staff works to try to help these students'. Raise the bar on admissions requirements.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Total let down.

Former Employee - ACE  in  Pottsville, PA
    Former Employee - ACE in Pottsville, PA

I worked at Empire Education Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Met some awesome people while at empire.

Cons

Number oriented instead of going with the core value of helping other improve their lives. In reality they just want the money and could care less about the students. They pin the home office employees (cust. Contact center in my experience) against the field employees. Also it's a good Boyd club atmosphere. If you stroke their ego and make them feel cool you pretty much do whatever you want. While other agents do the same thing you get away with yet they get coached on it. This has happened far to many times while I was at empire. It's so sad that when you start their frank himself sells you such a nice story of empire and how workong their will be this wonderful experience and how family time and quality of life is most important. Yet once you are in the ccc you quickly learn that nothing you were told is true and you pretty much just signed into a 40 hour a week hell.

Really take a look at the moral and attitude of your employees and find a way to truly bring the company back to the greatness it once was. The wonderful emviroment that you discribe in the new employee luncheon.

Great Product, Bad Management

Current Employee - Executive Director  in  Peekskill, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Peekskill, NY

I have been working at Empire Education Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I firmly believe that Empire does the best job out there in providing cosmetology education compared to other schools out there.

Cons

Things are constantly changing. Every day there is a new policy or change to a policy and sometimes without any notification or heads up. You find out that things are no longer ok as you are doing them, meanwhile the same scenario a week ago was ok. The company capped salaries and eliminated all bonuses no matter how well your performance was, so there really is no incentive to work harder, They say that to get a raise was to apply and interview for a higher position, but that doesn't even work. I applied for a job where my numbers were better than the others and I still didn't get the job. All politics. Also they got rid of all face to face training and think using webinars will substitute and provide efficient training.

Reward your employees and do not take them for granted. You spent all of this time to establish this great company and now your cutting corner techniques will drag your morale down.

Education Focused

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Empire Education Group

Pros

The student education is constantly being improved. It is like working with great family members, they keep you motivated and uplifted. Also, the training is pretty good.

Cons

So far I have not seen anything to say what would be a con.

Education

I worked at Empire Education Group

Pros

Great policies and procedures developed

Cons

Policies are not implemented at the school level

Do better job at making policies are consistently adhere to at the school level

Great place to grow but not a lot of qualified leadership in the field.

I have been working at Empire Education Group

Pros

Strong company, great educational products, multiple locations enable both students and staff to transfer throughout the country. Adequate facilities, compassionate and skilled staff at locations. Affordable pricing for the public.

Cons

A lot of trial and error when working in the field. Some locations could use additional staff to meet the needs of both the students and community.

Listen to the people in the schools that do the jobs daily.

Always changing -

Former Employee - Admissions
    Former Employee - Admissions

I worked at Empire Education Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Being able to help individuals realize their dreams and goals can become a reality

Cons

Company is always on the cheap - giving less and asking more and more and more

Acknowledge the people in the field (trenches) are valuable - not disposable
    Lots of favoritism - sometimes a degree is JUST a piece of paper

Meaningful work - helping students by living the core values of our organization daily.

I have been working at Empire Education Group

Pros

The co-workers here have taught me more than any classroom ever could have. Core purpose/core values hang in every office, cubicle, classroom, etc. of buildings operated by EEG - not only do they hang there but the people live them. The company is fun to work for also...you get to be involved in a lot of different initiatives - all are dedicated to helping the student and co-worker.

Cons

Typical communication or political roadblocks on occasion...nothing out of the ordinary that other organizations face.

Continue to keep the open lines of communication with all levels of the company

Worked for Empire Education Group? Contribute to the Community!