Empire Today

Updated October 26, 2014
Updated October 26, 2014
3.4

Todd Dickson

Pros
  • Dynamic workplace with great people who are 100% oriented towards customer service (in 12 reviews)

• There is no drama in the work environment and we all get along (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not Enough Money For The Gas And Wear And Tear On Your Car (in 6 reviews)

• You need to become a corporation (costs money) No benefits (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging & rewarding but a bit frustrating, growing & booming but share the wealth with more than just sales people..

I worked at Empire Today full-time

Pros

This is a very secure job with room for OT and bonus potential. Things are constantly changing so it keeps it interesting. The Company is growing which is reassuring in these times.

Cons

The promotions are very repetitive and don't really offer customers too much savings unless they price match. Training needs to be more comprehensive and extensive. People in high positions are mainly only white people which can lead to negativity.

Seek feedback and listen, listen!!! Consider getting a new trainer. Promote the right people, you have great people working there who need to be promoted to the right position; get rid of people who are not conducive to business growth.

Empire-Today, Atlanta, Georgia

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make alot of money and not have to go into an office
    Great training - Management works with you, to set you up for success
    Company stands behind their products, warranties
    No cold calling - appointments are set.
    Company spends alot of money on advertising, I see Empire-Today Commericals almost everyday on the tv

Cons

There is driving involved - however, I don't know any outside sales position that isn't
    No benefits
    Have to use personal cell phone
    No direct deposit

Good place to work, friendly environment.

Current Employee - Office Associate in Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Office Associate in Northlake, IL

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible. Provides an excellent work-life balance.Great opportunity for growth.

Cons

Only vacation days are provided. However, I believe sick days and personal days should be as well.
    Due to those unforeseen emergencies that do occur.

Read what people say hear you WILL run bottom end leads This why they run ads to hire contractors to run trash leads

Former Employee - Independent Sales Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at Empire Today full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Possibility to earn decent money for the ones that can hang in for a length of time and lose or not run out of money running bottom end leads as a new contractor. For those that do last and get 'tenure's sales managers feed top qualified leads. Company gives training checks to new reps at this time since they are spending money your leads will be the best so they can get some money back.

Cons

Imbalance of leads. Managers are scrutinzed by corporate on numbers so they will give long term proven sales people most of the pre-qualified leads as they are concerned about their jobs and ratios. Managers qualify and edit leads. Top sales people who have been there for years get 4 or 5 pre qualified leads daily deemed as lucrative and multi room while newbys get section 8s, low end apartments and run down building mixed in with perhaps a single room or two decent lead. Newbies that unusually close high still get 1 or 2 lead mostly while top producers get 4 or 5

Hire a contractor among the group-pool or two/or more and pay per diem all the trash leads like 15 or 20 bucks a lead as you have to go there being you cannot discriminate on the public instead of running ads constantly to have others pay to go to the garbage in time and gas money. Get the low end trash off the commissioned reps democraphically The reps leave company going broke with the garbage - you run more ads. You waste money on training checks You could have an arrangement that running garbage leads that if one is sold over a certain amount creating a commission of a certain dollar the other garbage leads are not paid the per diem. New job category should be created to run bottom end

Solid Company.

I worked at Empire Today

Pros

As a sales contractor, you truly are backed with the resources of a top-notch company that covers all their bases! From the obvious marketing, to professional samples and materials, to customer support for both you and your client, the company is a class-act. While they listen to a client's complaints and are genuinely concerned about solving their issues, they are also not quick to throw a sales representative or a contractor under the bus. If you "mess up" you will see it in your paycheck, but you will also find that the company "eats" some of the issue too at times- depending on the situation. My initial training was good and I felt confident in when I entered the home for the first time. I grew as a sales person from the time I started to the time I left.

Cons

In my sales region, our travel area was vast so there were some days that I was traveling and running twelve hour days and really running to make my appointments. Other days, I would not have any leads and I would be aware that other sales representatives would be double booked and have those crammed days. So it seemed the scheduling was always off. We were told it was the way that the corporate team wanted things done. It eventually ran solid sales representatives away and the inconsistency of leads and lack of communication regarding sales goals/leads was what irritated me the most. It seemed that the management wanted more production from everyone but only gave leads to favorites. Then in sales meetings would admonish those not producing at the highest levels. It was counterproductive. At times I was in both groups and it never felt right either way.

Empire promotes "building customers for life" and sometimes doing that means allowing sales representatives to develop a working relationship with their clients. I missed several opportunities to "close" my own sales because I didn't do so during the first visit - however I had set up to reconnect with them in two days (for example) only to have someone call and "gut" the sale. Even if the client asked for me to come back to write the contract, one of the "top reps" would be sent to the job to write it either because it was listed in the computer as a higher match for one of the higher reps or my sales manager failed to even look and see that I had worked with those clients and they had requested me - or didn't care. (I had one such incident where a new sales rep was sent and the contract was written incorrectly. When the order wasn't delivered correctly, instead of calling corporate or the new sales rep, they called me instead. They said they had requested me with the corporate rep on the phone and even asked to rescheduled when the new person arrived but was told I was unavailable.) My point is that not every salesperson has the same style. Not every person is going to write business right on the spot. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I wonder what my numbers would have looked like if the clients that I had actually worked with and closed with Empire were actually given back to me and I actually wrote the contract for the work that I had put in. I excel in building customers for life. And that starts in the beginning. The way your system is set up, you don't allow for anyone but shiny superstars that go into a home, sign business and move on. I can tell you the details of almost every single family I sold flooring to this last year without looking up notes, if you tell me where they live, and some of those I don't even need that. Ive realized it doesn't make me less of a sales person if I don't sign business the first time I meet a client. This just makes me different. And this is why,I believe, even after having left Empire, clients are still calling me on my personal phone for more flooring, instead of one of the most catchy, most recognized, telephone numbers in the country.

it was ok at best

Former Employee - Sales Contractor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Contractor in Denver, CO

I worked at Empire Today full-time

Pros

been around for a long time.

Cons

they will back charge you for no explaintion

stop yelling while on the phone with rep in front of clients

Most days were a nightmare!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Odenton, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Odenton, MD

I worked at Empire Today full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If the economy is doing great and your car is big enough to hold 300 lbs of samples and gets GREAT gas mileage, you will be alright

Cons

Driving 50-100 miles a day and paying for your own gas. Car maintenance. Driving an hour to get to a customers house and they are not home!

I honestly believe that they are running things exactly the way they intend :(

RUN FOR YOUR FINANCIAL LIFE LIE AFTER LIE

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Empire Today as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The coffee machines are nice

Cons

First of all the ad for Account Executives ,or outside shleps to run their horrible low income housing leads, runs constantly and is a complete and total lie to hook you in and get you sucked into the system which is just to use you whenever they have a horrible lead that the seasoned, long term reps dont want. The promise three to five leads a day and in fact there are weeks you will be getting none. There is no way to make money here.

YOU ALL NEED TRAINING. You do not know how to tell the truth, you are arrogant , rude and have nasty tempers, when a rep asks for more leads you dont give them any and start playing juvenile war games with the leads as the power play. Threatening reps and harassing them is illegal and you are really lucky noone has sued you. HOW DARE YOU LIE TO PEOPLE WITH FAMILIES THAT HAVE MORTGAGES TO PAY AND KIDS TO FEED. Take a long look at your turnover rate and also the caliber of who stays. NASTY PEOPLE with no manners and no conscious at all. They all need to be fired. Would love to see how they would feel if Empire just stopped paying them for a lousy job and lousy reviews from sales reps.

Dissatifing, lack of leadership, Didn't need to be talked down to if explainations didn't make sense.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX

I worked at Empire Today full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You had the independence to work for your self.

Cons

Lack of Leadership, and support for senior instructors

Demanding, grude, lack of patience, to self centered. It was all about them and how "they" were the experts inthe industry. Credit, They were good, but not that good.

3 months into it

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Empire Today part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people - training ok - . Limited coaching time on phone. Just nice people is the best I can say and their installers are awesome which probably has been the number one reason I sell for them.

Cons

over worked management, say they will go out and help you, but they do not have time for you, your pretty much left out on a limb if you are not close to the office. Limited coaching time on phone. Hard to make more then 4% unless you like to sell high and can feel good about it. Too far to drive from place to place.

Too many variables and not sure everyone is really on the same page. Very confused and did not get paid for my self gen. Differently looking for a better job.