Empire Today

Updated January 16, 2015
Updated January 16, 2015
3.3

Todd Dickson

Pros
  • Dynamic workplace with great people who are 100% oriented towards customer service (in 12 reviews)

• You can make a lot of money (1099-MIsc (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not Enough Money For The Gas And Wear And Tear On Your Car (in 6 reviews)

• You need to become a corporation (costs money) No benefits (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good environment to work in with who makes every effort to take care of customers.

I have been working at Empire Today

Pros

Opportunity for people who work hard to be recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Need to hold local sales contractors more accountable for their actions.

Provide local field associates with live system access via tablets.

If you like driving and feeling like you will be fired every time you don't sale, it's a Great Place to work!

Former Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Empire Today full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get paid every week!

Cons

Weekly meetings are framed to make sales staff feel bad about themselves even when doing a good job.

Be a positive motivator not a negative leader.

Save a select few, everyone is an independent contractor.

I worked at Empire Today

Pros

Prompt payment for installed jobs.

Cons

Expected to be available to the company 14 hours per day and willing to drive up to 4 hours per day plus. Good ole boys network very prevalent.

READ THIS comprehensive review. If you are lucky you might earn gainful money Many don't

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn how to sell outside. Folks this can be a great learning experience to make better money elsewhere. Some who have hung on make OK money and developed, evolved a working sales approach. Very small minority earn good money. They have favorite reps who sell well that deservedly earn good money usually 5 or 6 out of 10s. These usually get multi rooms in wealthy areas. You could be one. Some advertised sales are quite reasonable in an otherwise expensive product line. If you like to drive and you want to earn some money it could be fun. Good for retired person to add a few dollars and would keep you under the retiree cap. Corporate center is generally super nice people.

Cons

Empire Today expects you to be their courier for their paperwork for free. You might have to drive 30 or 40 miles or more to take their paperwork. This could cost you 10 dollars every time you take their paperwork to the corporate center. Granted other companies do this too. Then you are asked again to go to a meeting once a week. One might expect them to moderate the trips and get the paperwork at the meeting time it has already been faxed. They do not care about your money, imo. Empire expects all your time, transportation vehicle and money are free on the basis they give you a hypothetical commission capability when they get money from YOU.

Remember, commission-only and commission is low at 4 percent unless you charge the customer a higher price than the low, perhaps double what the would pay at big boxes for the install. If you work 12 or 14 hours days and drive 200 miles and spent 30 dollars for fuel and earned 70 dollars that week, nobody cares.
    This can be almost like legal slave labor, Home Depot is worst, imo, does the same thing as this work for nothing with hope of commission as this catches on with other companies with outside reps that mostly starve and they (Home Depot outside commission that is worst than this job, imo) actually lead generate in the stores for no pay and frankly having people work for nothing should not be.

Commission jobs can be the last bastion of near-slavery, having people work for nothing on hope. It overrides minimum wage laws, imo. This works well in a bad economy. You have heard of "other peoples money". These commission jobs are "other people's time, money, fuel, automobile, automobile wear and tear, cell phones, compliance costs, etc"

Company is in a perpetual mode of running sales contractor ads and running classes due to high turnover.

Salaries citing this job reported here, outside Empire rep at around 36,000 (if you are lucky the lower salaries are probably not reported) With that number deduct 5000 for running the car the year, taxes, wear and tear and most probably for working 12 hours a day and driving sometimes 200 miles a day, not uncommonly for 6 days, you earn about $21,000 probably around 4 or 5 dollars an hour so you do better at a convenience store. You have have to earn 60,000 dollars, imo, just to equal a big box store that contributes health care and 401K at least.

I would look at some of these writings here skeptically with positive reviews of 4 or 5. This job can very easily be a nightmare. Unless product is sold at high price, commission is very low. Commonly 4 percent. So if you drive 80 miles to a customer, sell 1000 dollars, you get 4 percent. They claim an average of just over 5 percent so you have to sell a lot to earn any money. Remember you have to pay for your own medical insurance and no 401K matching. Many earn 100 to 300 dollars a week if that. A lot of retired old people work there that use the company to add to their Social Security check since you can earn up to 14000 a year, I think. So if you are old and collecting Social Security it may be the sure ticket for a few extra bucks and you can talk to people.

Despite that some may write it may take weeks to get commissions. Commissions go on "pending" after they are installed. The larger commissions seem to be in "pending" mode sometimes 3 weeks before you get the money. I suspect they are collecting interest on the money as long as possible.

I have worked here a bit and still have not completely understood on how they ultimately operate and the turnover and how some long term reps, perhaps 3 or 4, are cited with ridiculously high sales numbers that defy logic and how they get those numbers pointing to the fact that all lucrative leads go to them. Normal leads will not give those sales numbers-no where near. The office doors have heavy locks sometimes in 2 steps. That might tell you something. You cannot walk in the office without someone IDing you who activates the electric locks. Even to go in from the street in some offices.

The Sales Managers job is to discriminate the leads to who they perceive will sell them and who they like since leads are pricey to get through advertising. This approach is understandable for a sales manager concerned about his-her job. I don't criticize this from the sales manager point of view. You will just be on the receiving end of it. It would be like a person in a commission retail store stopping customers as they came in the door and directing them to certain salespeople in the store. Sales Managers also discriminate the demographics of the area where they send the salesperson. This is definitely nowhere near equal opportunity for the contractors and because they are contractors they can do it. Nor should it be equal opportunity as the company can lose money on the worst reps. A long term highly regarded salesperson is sent to middle class to upper middle class areas with multiple rooms. These sell frequently. Generally new people get low end, apartments, 1-roomers and a good lead here and there. It costs money to keep compliance. Some areas require insurance that is expensive required by that State and yearly charges that could approach 1000 dollars a year. A person could possible go into a minus income with this job easily. If you like commission sales go to a commission retail store that is impossible to have managers direct customers to certain people. They are in control of the leads. Managers know the areas where people buy that are affluent and give them to veteran reps. They do not fire people they just do not give them leads anymore and hang them out. Managers can be obnoxious and rude when you call in with a customer if they are available. This could be something to do if you are unemployed and want to fill in the gap as stepping stone. Company runs ads for sales reps constantly as the bottom end of lead recipients leaves eventually. The training pay might be the best money you make of 300 dollars so if you are out of work it would be a good shot to stay at least the training period and collect the pay and you never know it might work and you may be lucky. Not likely. But then again it might be fun to give it a shot. You might be the person the sales managers favor if you close almost everything. YOU may have the talent. YOU may watch others fall by the wayside perpetually to be replaced with class after class.

Great job!! My advice is that the company seems to be working well as it is and company gets enough people in this economy to work, drive and fuel for free other than a commission possibility so I would change nothing from the company point of view. If the turnover was less with perhaps a slight increase in commission, more would stay I would think but not many more. Management is at this and know what they are doing. Perhaps not nice with no benefits and a Darwinian sales approach but people do it. From a corporate point of view keep up the good work

Great place to work - forward thinking company with lots of opportunity

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have really enjoyed working at Empire Today. The company is always trying new things to make their business better. I feel they really value their employees and their salespeople. Lots of room for advancement. Lots of good communication if you are willing to plug in and be a part of it.

Cons

You will definitely have to be willing to put in extra hard work to move up at Empire. This is not a place you can be lazy and expect to get advanced just because you haven't left.

Centralize the training process for new hires - either create a virtual program, or a program that is the same everywhere.

If you are a real salesperson, you will make money and love working with Empire. Great products, fantastic customer service, and very well crafted to a salesperson.

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Empire Today as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The money, if you are great you get paid great!

Cons

You work for yourself, if you have cons, it is because you are in the wrong place.

Keep up the good work

Underpaid, overworked and never praised

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager

I worked at Empire Today full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great original business model.

Cons

Too much expected of you at a very low compensation and bonus level. Regional Managment is manipulating and not supportive of you as a person. You are seen as a number and not a person. Very rarely are you praised for excellent work. The only time they do its to be used as an example to make others not performing feel poorly about their performance. Expected to be on call 5 nights a week and Saturday. Extremely micromanaged. Poor atmosphere in the office. Expected to hit numbers while a brother company owned by the same person undercuts and takes work from you. More of an admin job than sales managment.

Recognize and trust talent a lot more. Pay more to keep talented managers. Involve sales managment more in decisions before they are made not after. Don't compete against yourself with Luna.

Horrible and heartbreaking!!!!

Former Employee - Installation Manager in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Installation Manager in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Empire Today full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience of a life time...learned a lot as an Installation Manager! Gained the love and respect of the installers by managing HONESTLY and fairly! That is an honor I will take with me forever!

Cons

management believes single, young mothers cannot be fully committed! I was never going to be promoted...no matter how many obstacles I overcame! My hours started 6-2:30, then 5-1:30, it got to where I was working 4am-5pm to meet their demands and prove myself (all while raising 2small boys alone!) Nothing I did was good enough! I was still forced out. This company, at least in installations...only men allowed, if you're planning on sticking around.

Single mothers are NOT the end of the world!!! We are more alert, resourceful and multi-task full!

Decent place to work, no downsides.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are great, coffee is great. Loved working with my coworkers and felt like a part of a team. If you take the time and invest it, you'll succeed, but expect to spend a lot of time outside work to do so, for those who are average Joe's like me.

Cons

Stated that they would mentor me, but took me submitting my feedback review (30day) to get them to even listen when I had been struggling. After that it improved some.

If you want to be successful, expect to do a lot of work outside of work. Projects can be worked on for months then scrapped because it's not working right and then you're pushed back to square one.

However, there is very little advancement within the company. It looked like there was some lateral movement, later on if desired, but if you're looking for vertical mobility and moving through the ranks, then I suggest you pass up Empire in favour of bigger company.

To upper management: Letting your employee's know that you value them and providing stuff like a lunch every once in a while wouldn't hurt.

Put a mentoring program in place for new people. The Empire Today culture can be a little...intense for someone who's not used to a 'fast paced' atmosphere.

Could be great

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Empire Today (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. A lot of fun. The company however is going through changes that they need to adjust for.

Cons

Poor salary, do more with less in terms of resources

Find CEO