Empire Today

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.5

Todd Dickson

Pros
  • Dynamic workplace with great people who are 100% oriented towards customer service (in 12 reviews)

• There is no drama in the work environment and we all get along (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not Enough Money For The Gas And Wear And Tear On Your Car (in 6 reviews)

• You need to become a corporation (costs money) No benefits (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work, friendly environment.

Current Employee - Office Associate in Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Office Associate in Northlake, IL

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible. Provides an excellent work-life balance.Great opportunity for growth.

Cons

Only vacation days are provided. However, I believe sick days and personal days should be as well.
    Due to those unforeseen emergencies that do occur.

RUN FOR YOUR FINANCIAL LIFE LIE AFTER LIE

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Empire Today as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The coffee machines are nice

Cons

First of all the ad for Account Executives ,or outside shleps to run their horrible low income housing leads, runs constantly and is a complete and total lie to hook you in and get you sucked into the system which is just to use you whenever they have a horrible lead that the seasoned, long term reps dont want. The promise three to five leads a day and in fact there are weeks you will be getting none. There is no way to make money here.

YOU ALL NEED TRAINING. You do not know how to tell the truth, you are arrogant , rude and have nasty tempers, when a rep asks for more leads you dont give them any and start playing juvenile war games with the leads as the power play. Threatening reps and harassing them is illegal and you are really lucky noone has sued you. HOW DARE YOU LIE TO PEOPLE WITH FAMILIES THAT HAVE MORTGAGES TO PAY AND KIDS TO FEED. Take a long look at your turnover rate and also the caliber of who stays. NASTY PEOPLE with no manners and no conscious at all. They all need to be fired. Would love to see how they would feel if Empire just stopped paying them for a lousy job and lousy reviews from sales reps.

Dissatifing, lack of leadership, Didn't need to be talked down to if explainations didn't make sense.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX

I worked at Empire Today full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You had the independence to work for your self.

Cons

Lack of Leadership, and support for senior instructors

Demanding, grude, lack of patience, to self centered. It was all about them and how "they" were the experts inthe industry. Credit, They were good, but not that good.

3 months into it

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Empire Today part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people - training ok - . Limited coaching time on phone. Just nice people is the best I can say and their installers are awesome which probably has been the number one reason I sell for them.

Cons

over worked management, say they will go out and help you, but they do not have time for you, your pretty much left out on a limb if you are not close to the office. Limited coaching time on phone. Hard to make more then 4% unless you like to sell high and can feel good about it. Too far to drive from place to place.

Too many variables and not sure everyone is really on the same page. Very confused and did not get paid for my self gen. Differently looking for a better job.

Office Staff.

I worked at Empire Today full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hours
    Dress Code
    None other pros to list.

Cons

Salary
    NO Advancement
    Medical benefits
    Lazy Co-workers
    General office bs

Stop talking about people and being too faced.

Working dummy

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Empire Today as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Did'nt have any pros that I experience. They seemed only interested in getting the sale. Relationships thu referrals by giving your customers what they paid for. Product, service and consideration.

Cons

Customer satisfaction of materials was substandard. The quality of materials was second run or discontinued designs and demands of many product lines.

Get a clue.

Its enjoyable and challenging

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have the opportunity to make more if i want you get out what you put into it

Cons

not knowing my hours for the next day till that day

Be honest with sales people

A great company to work for!

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northlake, IL

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) People are very nice, hardworking and willing to help.
    2) The company provide very good training and full of opportunities for new employees to grow.I have been here for a little over 1 year and already participated lots of important projects.
    3) Work and life balance. The company hold interesting games and provide lunchs/dinners.
    4) Company is growing and it is good to grow with the company.

Cons

1) The parking is not convenient.

The more you sell, the more the company makes.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Empire Today as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Reputable company. Commission sales. 1 hard working sales rep office assistant. Paid training. Good selection of carpet.

Cons

Too much paperwork. Too many samples to carry in your car: Tile, wood, vynyl, carpet, laminate, blinds,, etc. Forget about giving anyone a ride while you've got samples in your car. They literally used a fork lift to bring the samples to my car. When I want to use my car for something else, I have to unload all of the samples which is so tedious. Very weak commission schedule. Example: Let's assume that you sell carpet for $1,000 to a customer because they just want to carpet their hallways. Let's assume that $1,000 is the lowest price. At the "low" price, you will make 3% or $30 bucks. You could charge the "high" price which will pay you 9%. The high price, let's assume, is $2000 to the customer. So you make $180 bucks. The company will make $970 bucks if you sell on the "low" and $1,820 if you sell on the "high". The company makes significantly more if you sell for more, yet as the sales rep, you will make slightly more. If you sell at the "high" price, it's likely that the customer won't buy or will want to shop around. The company tells you to "provide value" and the customer will pay more. The value is that the company supposedly has excellent customer service and they stand "in front" of their warranty. In actuality, the company has mediocre customer service and everyone should stand behind their warranty. For instance, I sold an area rug for $600 bucks. The customer continues to contact me 2 weeks after the sale because it still has not been delivered. The order desk says that the order was cancelled. Customer service tells them that order will be delivered "tomorrow". Another rep tells the customer that we don't sell area rugs. Managers don't care because they get paid anyway. Let's assume you do 4 appointments to sell hardwood floors. Based on company statistics, you should expect to sell 1 of those 4 appointments since it has a 25% close ratio. That means that you have to haul around all kinds of samples in your car, which by the way will ruin your interior and lower your miles per gallon. Conducting a demonstration, measuring and completing the paperwork will take 3 hours. Forget about calling in for financing, that will extend your appointment by another 45 minutes Plus driving to your appointments can take another hour. Let's assume you sold hardwood at $7,000 at the "low" price for a 3% commission. You will make $210. Let's assume that you had 4 hardwood appointments that day. Stats show that you will make 1 in 4 hardwood sales. So you just spent 10 hours of your day to make $210 bucks. Let's assume that you drove 100 miles that day which is very common. You made 21 bucks an hour and you get home feeling exhausted. Forget about selling window treatments, the price for one window with paper blinds can run over $2k for a standard window. You won't get paid until the Friday AFTER the installer turns in their paperwork as long as THEY get in in by Friday the week before. They don't do direct deposit so you have to drive to the main office which can be pretty far. I've been in commission sales for 7 years and this is possibly the worst company to do commission sales for in my experience.

To owner: You're already a millionaire, why not share the wealth and let sales reps keep a little more of the up sell. It makes no sense (using my example above, which is very realistic) that when I upsell an item, you make more money. It makes no sense that the managers drive fancy cars while the reps are making less than 40k a year. Consider direct deposit so sales reps don't have to drive all the way to the main office to pick up a check that won't even cover the gas and time.

10 years of loyalty worth nothing when i didnt want to join the "cool kids"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northlake, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northlake, IL

I worked at Empire Today full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Endless opportunities if you have the right manager, i learned a ton and worked all over the company.

Cons

if you arent in the right "clique" you dont have a chance of advancement, in my case i was laid off for bogus reasons.

Stop hiring family members!!! When a manager marries the an executive then becomes a Director you know there is something wrong there. she was slated to get termed but didnt because of her husband. I missed the old days and previous executive team that actual cared about the staff. steer clear for your own good.