Empire Today Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

3.6

Todd Dickson

Pros
  • Dynamic workplace with great people who are 100% oriented towards customer service (in 12 reviews)

• There is no drama in the work environment and we all get along (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not Enough Money For The Gas And Wear And Tear On Your Car (in 6 reviews)

• You need to become a corporation (costs money) No benefits (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Its enjoyable and challenging

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have the opportunity to make more if i want you get out what you put into it

Cons

not knowing my hours for the next day till that day

Be honest with sales people

A great company to work for!

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northlake, IL

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) People are very nice, hardworking and willing to help.
    2) The company provide very good training and full of opportunities for new employees to grow.I have been here for a little over 1 year and already participated lots of important projects.
    3) Work and life balance. The company hold interesting games and provide lunchs/dinners.
    4) Company is growing and it is good to grow with the company.

Cons

1) The parking is not convenient.

10 years of loyalty worth nothing when i didnt want to join the "cool kids"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Northlake, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northlake, IL

I worked at Empire Today full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Endless opportunities if you have the right manager, i learned a ton and worked all over the company.

Cons

if you arent in the right "clique" you dont have a chance of advancement, in my case i was laid off for bogus reasons.

Stop hiring family members!!! When a manager marries the an executive then becomes a Director you know there is something wrong there. she was slated to get termed but didnt because of her husband. I missed the old days and previous executive team that actual cared about the staff. steer clear for your own good.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The more you sell, the more the company makes.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Empire Today as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Reputable company. Commission sales. 1 hard working sales rep office assistant. Paid training. Good selection of carpet.

Cons

Too much paperwork. Too many samples to carry in your car: Tile, wood, vynyl, carpet, laminate, blinds,, etc. Forget about giving anyone a ride while you've got samples in your car. They literally used a fork lift to bring the samples to my car. When I want to use my car for something else, I have to unload all of the samples which is so tedious. Very weak commission schedule. Example: Let's assume that you sell carpet for $1,000 to a customer because they just want to carpet their hallways. Let's assume that $1,000 is the lowest price. At the "low" price, you will make 3% or $30 bucks. You could charge the "high" price which will pay you 9%. The high price, let's assume, is $2000 to the customer. So you make $180 bucks. The company will make $970 bucks if you sell on the "low" and $1,820 if you sell on the "high". The company makes significantly more if you sell for more, yet as the sales rep, you will make slightly more. If you sell at the "high" price, it's likely that the customer won't buy or will want to shop around. The company tells you to "provide value" and the customer will pay more. The value is that the company supposedly has excellent customer service and they stand "in front" of their warranty. In actuality, the company has mediocre customer service and everyone should stand behind their warranty. For instance, I sold an area rug for $600 bucks. The customer continues to contact me 2 weeks after the sale because it still has not been delivered. The order desk says that the order was cancelled. Customer service tells them that order will be delivered "tomorrow". Another rep tells the customer that we don't sell area rugs. Managers don't care because they get paid anyway. Let's assume you do 4 appointments to sell hardwood floors. Based on company statistics, you should expect to sell 1 of those 4 appointments since it has a 25% close ratio. That means that you have to haul around all kinds of samples in your car, which by the way will ruin your interior and lower your miles per gallon. Conducting a demonstration, measuring and completing the paperwork will take 3 hours. Forget about calling in for financing, that will extend your appointment by another 45 minutes Plus driving to your appointments can take another hour. Let's assume you sold hardwood at $7,000 at the "low" price for a 3% commission. You will make $210. Let's assume that you had 4 hardwood appointments that day. Stats show that you will make 1 in 4 hardwood sales. So you just spent 10 hours of your day to make $210 bucks. Let's assume that you drove 100 miles that day which is very common. You made 21 bucks an hour and you get home feeling exhausted. Forget about selling window treatments, the price for one window with paper blinds can run over $2k for a standard window. You won't get paid until the Friday AFTER the installer turns in their paperwork as long as THEY get in in by Friday the week before. They don't do direct deposit so you have to drive to the main office which can be pretty far. I've been in commission sales for 7 years and this is possibly the worst company to do commission sales for in my experience.

To owner: You're already a millionaire, why not share the wealth and let sales reps keep a little more of the up sell. It makes no sense (using my example above, which is very realistic) that when I upsell an item, you make more money. It makes no sense that the managers drive fancy cars while the reps are making less than 40k a year. Consider direct deposit so sales reps don't have to drive all the way to the main office to pick up a check that won't even cover the gas and time.

A very good company to work for

Former Employee - In Home Sales Agent  in  Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Former Employee - In Home Sales Agent in Santa Fe Springs, CA

I worked at Empire Today full-time for less than a year

Pros

They provide leads for people that are interested in the products.

Cons

The leads slow down during the winter months

Teach the employees to prospect, cold call while out on the interviews.

FRUSTRATING

Current Employee - CArpet IC
    Current Employee - CArpet IC

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gaining knowledge and exp in diff departments.

Cons

Departmenst cant seem to get along and work together as a TEAM

Great company but Buda needs more help in the office

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Buda, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buda, TX

I worked at Empire Today full-time for less than a year

Pros

I liked the experience its great if you like to meet new people every day.

Cons

The office needs better communication you pay the money to any one other than the office manager the money disappears.

fast-paced, change is constant. May seem haphazard at times to those who come from slower cultures.

I worked at Empire Today

Pros

learning opportunities can be found and taken by the horns. the company has grown and expanded rapidly but also experienced a significant decline (like many other companies) during the housing/financial crisis.

Cons

benefits are typical of retail industry. the company has grown and expanded rapidly but also experienced a significant decline (like many other companies) during the housing/financial crisis.

Just an okay place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northlake, IL

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working for the company can gain one experience to the Construction field, which is rare for those not actually working with their hands. This opens up for many future opportunities.

Cons

Potentially, there may not be any room for advancement. Many departments open and many department close, which means layoffs.

Not likely.

Empire Today (Atlanta) - Great company for motivated salespeople. Money to be made and supportive management team.

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you put in the work and know how to sell you can make six figures. The management in Atlanta is experienced, sets you up for success, and is always available to help. Occasional perks/promotions and overall great atmosphere. The Atlanta market and team is headed in the right direction. I definitely recommend to the right person.

Cons

If you can't sell, aren't motivated or don't want to work hard, then don't bother.

Worked for Empire Today? Contribute to the Community!