Empire Today

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.4

Todd Dickson

Pros
  • Dynamic workplace with great people who are 100% oriented towards customer service (in 12 reviews)

• You can make a lot of money (1099-MIsc (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not Enough Money For The Gas And Wear And Tear On Your Car (in 6 reviews)

• You need to become a corporation (costs money) No benefits (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work - forward thinking company with lots of opportunity

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have really enjoyed working at Empire Today. The company is always trying new things to make their business better. I feel they really value their employees and their salespeople. Lots of room for advancement. Lots of good communication if you are willing to plug in and be a part of it.

Cons

You will definitely have to be willing to put in extra hard work to move up at Empire. This is not a place you can be lazy and expect to get advanced just because you haven't left.

Centralize the training process for new hires - either create a virtual program, or a program that is the same everywhere.

If you are a real salesperson, you will make money and love working with Empire. Great products, fantastic customer service, and very well crafted to a salesperson.

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Empire Today as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The money, if you are great you get paid great!

Cons

You work for yourself, if you have cons, it is because you are in the wrong place.

Keep up the good work

Decent place to work, no downsides.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are great, coffee is great. Loved working with my coworkers and felt like a part of a team. If you take the time and invest it, you'll succeed, but expect to spend a lot of time outside work to do so, for those who are average Joe's like me.

Cons

Stated that they would mentor me, but took me submitting my feedback review (30day) to get them to even listen when I had been struggling. After that it improved some.

If you want to be successful, expect to do a lot of work outside of work. Projects can be worked on for months then scrapped because it's not working right and then you're pushed back to square one.

However, there is very little advancement within the company. It looked like there was some lateral movement, later on if desired, but if you're looking for vertical mobility and moving through the ranks, then I suggest you pass up Empire in favour of bigger company.

To upper management: Letting your employee's know that you value them and providing stuff like a lunch every once in a while wouldn't hurt.

Put a mentoring program in place for new people. The Empire Today culture can be a little...intense for someone who's not used to a 'fast paced' atmosphere.

Could be great

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Empire Today (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. A lot of fun. The company however is going through changes that they need to adjust for.

Cons

Poor salary, do more with less in terms of resources

Find CEO

Ok

I have been working at Empire Today

Pros

Being your own boss is coll

Cons

Getting good qualified leads to work

Good luck

Great Place to Work For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northlake, IL

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are willing to put in hard work, it will be rewarded. The business is very technology oriented on the back-end, but hands-on with the customer. A few growing pains here and there with business transitions, but that is any company.

Cons

Transitioning between an in-house CEO to an off-site CEO has been a bit of a challenge, as well as combing cultures between Empire and a recent acquisition, but things are smoothing out.

More communication below the Director level would be appreciated.

Outside Salesperson's Dream Job

Current Employee - Sales Contractor in North Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Contractor in North Haven, CT

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Empire Today is one of the most respected companies in the country. They treat their customers and contractors like family. The company provides qualified leads, no cold calling. A professional sales closer will earn 6 figures. The only thing holding you back from earning a ton of money is your desire. The sales and customer management team is the most professional group of individuals I have ever worked with. Ongoing training and support is second to none.

Cons

This is a commission only sales contractor career. You will only make money if you close deals. It is really up to each sales contractor to make the most out of each lead.

Challenging & rewarding but a bit frustrating, growing & booming but share the wealth with more than just sales people..

I worked at Empire Today full-time

Pros

This is a very secure job with room for OT and bonus potential. Things are constantly changing so it keeps it interesting. The Company is growing which is reassuring in these times.

Cons

The promotions are very repetitive and don't really offer customers too much savings unless they price match. Training needs to be more comprehensive and extensive. People in high positions are mainly only white people which can lead to negativity.

Seek feedback and listen, listen!!! Consider getting a new trainer. Promote the right people, you have great people working there who need to be promoted to the right position; get rid of people who are not conducive to business growth.

Flooring Sales consultant

I have been working at Empire Today

Pros

The best things of working with Empire Today as a independent Contractor is the freedom to grow your business as fast or slow as you want.

Cons

Wait for a few weeks to get paid after install

Pay some sort of mileage for sales calls out a 65 mile radius.

Solid Company.

I worked at Empire Today

Pros

As a sales contractor, you truly are backed with the resources of a top-notch company that covers all their bases! From the obvious marketing, to professional samples and materials, to customer support for both you and your client, the company is a class-act. While they listen to a client's complaints and are genuinely concerned about solving their issues, they are also not quick to throw a sales representative or a contractor under the bus. If you "mess up" you will see it in your paycheck, but you will also find that the company "eats" some of the issue too at times- depending on the situation. My initial training was good and I felt confident in when I entered the home for the first time. I grew as a sales person from the time I started to the time I left.

Cons

In my sales region, our travel area was vast so there were some days that I was traveling and running twelve hour days and really running to make my appointments. Other days, I would not have any leads and I would be aware that other sales representatives would be double booked and have those crammed days. So it seemed the scheduling was always off. We were told it was the way that the corporate team wanted things done. It eventually ran solid sales representatives away and the inconsistency of leads and lack of communication regarding sales goals/leads was what irritated me the most. It seemed that the management wanted more production from everyone but only gave leads to favorites. Then in sales meetings would admonish those not producing at the highest levels. It was counterproductive. At times I was in both groups and it never felt right either way.

Empire promotes "building customers for life" and sometimes doing that means allowing sales representatives to develop a working relationship with their clients. I missed several opportunities to "close" my own sales because I didn't do so during the first visit - however I had set up to reconnect with them in two days (for example) only to have someone call and "gut" the sale. Even if the client asked for me to come back to write the contract, one of the "top reps" would be sent to the job to write it either because it was listed in the computer as a higher match for one of the higher reps or my sales manager failed to even look and see that I had worked with those clients and they had requested me - or didn't care. (I had one such incident where a new sales rep was sent and the contract was written incorrectly. When the order wasn't delivered correctly, instead of calling corporate or the new sales rep, they called me instead. They said they had requested me with the corporate rep on the phone and even asked to rescheduled when the new person arrived but was told I was unavailable.) My point is that not every salesperson has the same style. Not every person is going to write business right on the spot. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I wonder what my numbers would have looked like if the clients that I had actually worked with and closed with Empire were actually given back to me and I actually wrote the contract for the work that I had put in. I excel in building customers for life. And that starts in the beginning. The way your system is set up, you don't allow for anyone but shiny superstars that go into a home, sign business and move on. I can tell you the details of almost every single family I sold flooring to this last year without looking up notes, if you tell me where they live, and some of those I don't even need that. Ive realized it doesn't make me less of a sales person if I don't sign business the first time I meet a client. This just makes me different. And this is why,I believe, even after having left Empire, clients are still calling me on my personal phone for more flooring, instead of one of the most catchy, most recognized, telephone numbers in the country.