Empire Today

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
3.5

Todd Dickson

Pros
  • Dynamic workplace with great people who are 100% oriented towards customer service (in 12 reviews)

• There is no drama in the work environment and we all get along (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not Enough Money For The Gas And Wear And Tear On Your Car (in 6 reviews)

• You need to become a corporation (costs money) No benefits (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

They truly care about the customer, and their employees

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Customer service sets them apart from the competition and they earn repeat business because of it. One may think that "building customers for life" is not possible or insincere, however it is a company that strives for it everyday. It makes you proud to say who you work for. It's a dynamic, forward thinking company with some very talented people that can make it fun to work for.

Cons

Depending on your position, there may be some long days.

I've enjoyed working for Empire Today

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northlake, IL

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm impressed by the democratic nature of the company and diversity of the employees, particularly here at the home office in Northlake, IL. It's refreshing to work at a company where the demographics actually reflect the people of the region, and the communities we serve.

The democratic nature is reflected in the openess of senior and upper management to talk to and work with us worker bees. The executives are NOT secluded off on their own floor with their own executive washrooms. They are in the thick of things, with smallish offices located by the teams they manage. That nature is also reflected in the power that line staff here have to make decisions and improve business.

The amount of autonomy and openess to improving processes is also positive. As well as the distinct lack of micromanagement. Performance expectations are high, but not obnoxious. There is no expectation that you must burn the midnight oil here to succeed. However, you will notice that many senior managers do just that.

There is some degree of remote work and hourly flexibility here, but the core is solidly in office. If you are willing to accept responsibility and rise to expectations and challenges, you'll do well at Empire Today. And you'll enjoy it.

Cons

The Paid Time Off (PTO) benefits are a challenge, because they are pretty low. While managers have a large amount of discretion, the documented PTO is tough for anyone who'd like to take family vacations or spend some extra time on the holidays, as well as have enough for the occasional sick day (kids get sick).

Salaries are also on the low side, so recruitment of top talent is a challenge.

Improve PTO, holiday and health insurance benefits to retain top talent. Encourage and expect ongoing company supported training and career support. Clearly define the pathways to success for individual employees.

Tremendous company to work for!

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company's business model offers a unique value proposition to it's customers that competitors can't keep up with. It is very refreshing to be a part of an organization that truly believes in customer service. "Building Customers For Life" actually means something to the line level employees and leadership. It's a great work environment and the Market Support Team goes above and beyond to support the field team to do their jobs.

Cons

Communication of staffing changes / structure could be improved. Associates don't always hear about promotions & job changes until they try to contact someone. There have been recent improvements to with periodic updates on the status of the company from the Executive level.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've worked at Empire for several years

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I feel like I'm part of a family here. I really enjoy the people that I work with. Management stands behind their employees if there are any problems. There are chances for advancement if you choose to seek a different position. I like the "free day" policy for perfect attendance.

Cons

I wish that pay increases were larger. Benefits are average for most companies. I wish they would start company picnics, etc earlier so that employees who have very early shifts would be able to participate.

The organizational culture of C.Y.A prohibits growth of ideas and evolution of employees.

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The organization offers stability, if you have no desire to grow and are proficient at your job you can maintain a long career in your position.

Cons

Creativity is not encouraged or rewarded, the culture is built on saying less is more. The ZAPP! leadership culture is in full play and people say nothing for fear of being ZAPPED! by senior leadership.

The One Minute Manger is a good start, this should be required reading for anyone who supervises people. The organization has many layers of people with sub-standard people skills.

Not a bad place to work. All companies have some type of issues no place is perfect.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Northlake, IL

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have a great supervisor. She makes coming to work enjoyable even on a bad day.

Cons

Lack of communication but that is pretty much any company. They do need to have more of a work/ life balance.

Communicate more. Be more flexible with time nd life issues.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Empire Today

Pros

The department I work in, I feel as if we are all a team. We work together like nowhere I have worked in the past, we all help each other and look out for each other. Someone is always offering a helping hand when it's needed. There is no drama in the work environment and we all get along. Scheduling is flexible which is nice and customer service week is fun.

Cons

I wish that our yearly raises were more. I work been here several years and haven't got a raise over .46 cents. I exceed expectations, don't call off and work hard everyday. Sometimes I feel as if I did less work, I would get the same raise. There's no incentive to work hard and go above and beyond.

In the beginning, working for Empire today has been a great but has quickly spiraled down to mediocre.

Current Employee - Install Coordinator  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Install Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is very flexible.

Cons

The departments do not work together as though we are one company and too many people putting the blame on each other and no respect.

In my opinion, there is nothing to be said because things have been discussed on an on-going basis and nothing has changed.

Great place to learn and interact with a lot of different departments and different people.

I have been working at Empire Today full-time

Pros

Flexible hours depending on your position and manager and have the ability to work remotely. Business casual dress attire (jeans!) makes for a more relaxed atmosphere. Recieve credit for the work you do and can be quickly exposed to senior management.

Cons

People are quickly removed when expectations are not met (don't over promise.) In-house systems and analytical tools are dated and can make analysis difficult and time consuming.

The "right place, right time" for anyone who is proactive, intelligent, and willing to work hard.

I have been working at Empire Today full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dynamic workplace with great people who are 100% oriented towards customer service. Many opportunities to learn new systems & processes as most departments are interdependent. Managers are very "open-door" and receptive to employees' suggestions for positive change. Lots of fun activities and recognition days throughout the year to reward & motivate everyone.

Cons

Very little advancement oppotunity for non-sales staff, even for lateral transfers. Work/life balance for non-salaried staff is largely dependent on the manager, as there is no real structure for it otherwise.

Worked for Empire Today? Contribute to the Community!