There are newer employer reviews for 1-800 CONTACTS

My job at 1800 Contacts will one day turn into a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture of the company is so strong, it has taught me to not only value customer service but to live it. Everyone I work with is my customer. The job & pay are average but the vast company activities make it well worth it. I look forward to every event.

Cons

With so many people loving the company, there is very little turn over. Moving up is hard to do because very few opportunities come along. I've been trying to move positions for a while & not gotten any.

Advice to Management

View your employees potential. Help them move if they have expressed interest to. Moving up is hard to do.

Other Employee Reviews for 1-800 CONTACTS

Consistently values employees and provides numerous opportunities for business-related career growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Contacts has an incredible culture and strives to value employees in every way possible. Free onsite fitness center with personal trainers, subsidized meals with a private chef in our onsite grille, free breakfast and soft drinks. Other perks include film festivals held twice annually, summer parties at Thanksgiving Point, sports leagues, family events, etc. Plenty of opportunities to grow into a career. 1-800 CONTACTS loves to promote from within. Several colleagues and friends have started out in an entry-level customer service position and are now working in Management, Finance, IT, HR, Marketing, etc. I worked in customer service while I was a college student, and the company was awesome with flexible scheduling and even helped cover some of the tuition cost! All positions are posted internally first, and I was fortunate enough to apply for and receive a position to start my career. Work-life balance is wonderful! There are great development opportunities for current employees. Employees are given all the tools they need to succeed in their roles.

Cons

More could be done to recognize a job well done throughout the company. Some departments do better at this than others. The company operates solely out of the Salt Lake valley, so this limits opportunities to retain employment if needing to move farther away.

Advice to Management

Continue to find new ways to differentiate this business from others. Several companies are catching on and trying to mirror the culture here. It's easy to stick with tradition, but look for ways to continually push the envelope, while preserving the original values and culture as much as possible.

2. Great company to work for, (2 1/2 yrs.) Their vision "We take care of our team because they take care of our customers"

Current Employee - Receiving Clerk, Inbound Operations in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Receiving Clerk, Inbound Operations in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee perks (i.e. onsite cafeteria, subsidised meal cost, performance based bonus, Associate Development Programs, free eye exams, onsite gym, company parties, film festivals, supervisors and managers are personable, dedicated and genuinely care for their associates. A community exists within the company of continually progessing personally, and bettering the experience everyone has with this company, associates and customers alike. There is a lot of oportunity to move up, and grow professionally.

Cons

Not a job you can "coast" at. Especially at the Distribution center there is no room for mediocrity. Teams are driven here by success and if you can't consistently improve working here is not for you.

Advice to Management

be genuine, and complimentary. Don't compensate your goals to be nice, but go out of your way to be a friend to the "grunts".