1-800 CONTACTS

www.1800contacts.com
There are newer employer reviews for 1-800 CONTACTS

My job at 1800 Contacts will one day turn into a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture of the company is so strong, it has taught me to not only value customer service but to live it. Everyone I work with is my customer. The job & pay are average but the vast company activities make it well worth it. I look forward to every event.

Cons

With so many people loving the company, there is very little turn over. Moving up is hard to do because very few opportunities come along. I've been trying to move positions for a while & not gotten any.

View your employees potential. Help them move if they have expressed interest to.
Moving up is hard to do.

78 Other Employee Reviews for 1-800 CONTACTS (View Most Recent)

They Treat All Associates Like Executives

Current Employee - Full Time Associate in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Full Time Associate in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company will be 20 years old in 2015 - which means they're still really young and innovative. However, with the WalMart relationship, Fenway Partners, WellPoint and now T.H. Lee - we seem to be reaching a crossroads on needing to further align on our identity and core values. Still, the company is young, fresh and vibrant and this is apparent in the company culture and the overall "vibe" in the buildings. A lot of associates in their glassdoor reviews have already mentioned the gym (with free onsite certified trainers), the restaurant (with the heavily subsidized meals - steak for $2.50!!), the events (which make your regular run-of-the-mill company BBQ look like a walk in the park), company bowling, golf, etc.

For me, it's the way my strengths are valued and I'm treated like an important contributor - my ideas do matter. I work with a great team and have an excellent leadership structure. My boss is wonderful! I truly feel like I can make a difference here. I like what I do, I look forward to coming to work each day. People respect one another and realize at the end of the day, we're all human and essentially we all have the same needs and want much of the same things out of life.

Customer service, both internally and externally permeates throughout the culture - people seem genuine in providing that experience.

1-800 CONTACTS was founded upon great ideas and Jonathan Coon had great entrepreneurial vision. We need to remember our history and always be true to our founding principles and our roots.

Cons

We're not immune from challenges (both internally and externally). It was bumpy for our associates to start acclimating to a new way of doing business with WellPoint, only to be sold a year later. However, change has made us more adept to handle challenges and the business still moves forward.

Sometimes I feel like because we reward associates so regularly and provide recognition so easily - we struggle a bit with a sense of entitlement. However, I don't see this as apparent but just something to be aware of.

Overall, I think the company is poised for great growth and we need to retain our eyes on the prize.

Let's make 2014 and 2015 a focus on new innovation and new revenue streams. Let's also make sure we're promoting our company history and founding principles - do all associates know our story and know it well? We need to realign and calibrate on company core values and pillars to give everyone a sense of purpose and direction. Let's not be too cautious about growth - although cost saving is always important, please don't do it at the expense of new ideas and growth - innovation is what's made and continues to make our company great!

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Company cares about its employees. Subsidized meals. Most co-workers are nice and intelligent. They encourage training and other factors to help further your career.

Cons

There is a lack of communication between departments. It gets pretty hard to do your job when other departments do not understand what it is you do, and even after explaining to multiple people multiple times, push back keep happening. There are also a high level of ego's.

Allow SME's to do their jobs and prove themselves.

1-800 CONTACTS Response

May 7, 2014HR Business Partner

We thank the Associate for the feedback provided on cross department communication. Communication between departments and between all levels of Associates at 1-800 CONTACTS is vital to our mission of ... More

There are newer employer reviews for 1-800 CONTACTS