1-800 CONTACTS

Great environment, great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Draper, UT
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time for more than a year

Pros

1-800 CONTACTS works hard to create a great place to work with a healthy work/life balanced.

Cons

Slower career progression.

Since it's such a great place to work, people quite at a lower rate than compared to those of other companies. This coupled with the company being in a mature phase (with not a ton of growth) causes slower career progression.

Keep on rocking it!

Other Reviews for 1-800 CONTACTS

Great when I started, but the new changes have turned it around for the worse

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

Work at home opportunities, subsidized meals, great co-workers, get to wear casual where to work, bonuses (if given).

Cons

Pay isn't great, bonuses have been cut down more than ever, constant changes to where we aren't even told of all of them and are expected to know everything, horribly understaffed, people getting fired left and right. One of the trainers was forced to step down with the new training program they implemented, every manager had to reapply for their jobs for this joke of changing departments (two of the long term managers were demoted and replaced with people who had just been there for over a year) and there are so many people getting fired left and right (even if you don't have a write-up) that the turnover is the highest it has ever been. The policy is that you can get weekends off after being there for one year. Two friends of mine walked out, because after the year was up, they were told they could not have weekends off as promised and it wouldn't happen anytime soon. And if you decide to apply, DO NOT apply for the chat team. I have been on the chat team for over three years and it is horrible. We are now required to do sales, bonuses are lower than ever and we are horribly understaffed. We also received an email that they were just barely started to train (after being maxed out and miserably for MONTHS) and they won't hire anyone else to help. The quality system is also a complete joke. I have zero pride in my job now and I am sick of crying from being so overwhelmed while I work.

You want your customers to be satisfied? Then make the employees happy and quit doing these changes left and right! Happy employees want to help customers and right now, a lot of us could care less. Its a joke and no one knows what is going on half of the time! Chat is supposed to be a promotion, but it is sad when we have had three fired and four quit in the last month and they tell us we don't need the extra help, yet more and more things are piled on us. We have it even worse than any department and I know for a fact most of your senior employees are looking for new jobs, including myself. Quit these ridiculous changes and go back to the way things were four years ago when I started. Almost every employee was happy back then. I know HR is going to defend the company like they did with the other bad ones. HR, look at your last three reviews before mine. That should tell you something and I am sure there will be more.

1-800 CONTACTS Response

Jul 8, 2014HR Business Partner

We appreciate this Associate's comments. 1-800 CONTACTS welcomes all feedback both positive and negative. We encourage our associates to discuss concerns openly and honestly with their leadership ... More

Directionless

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As you've heard already, the 20/20 Grille is great and being able to attend free movies twice a year is a plus. Take your children to work day is something my girls look forward to each year as well.

Cons

As you've heard already, there are many. The Executive decision to combine the two different worlds of the company have been extremely disheartening for us agents. There are now FAR fewer opportunities for advancement with this combination. Things continue to change without ample notice or discussion. Going from not knowing what is happening to an immediate change is quite difficult to deal with. I've been here for many, many, years and stayed because of the culture and family atmosphere. But I fear these benefits no longer outweigh the feeling of disappointment, stress, and confusion that have dominated my mind over these last few months. I fear my remaining time with the company is growing short.

Undo these massive changes and reinstate the layout that has worked for over a decade of my being here. People felt as though they had their specialties and a clear vision of how to move up. The constant shooting-from-the-hip decision making needs to end. We need a better road forward. It is my hope that a company that is famous for taking care of its employees does just that. Thank you for taking the time to hear my feelings on a job and company that has been such a big part of my family's lives.

1-800 CONTACTS Response

Jul 8, 2014HR Business Partner

We appreciate this Associate's comments. 1-800 CONTACTS welcomes all feedback, both positive and negative. Negative responses cause us to either change course of action or better communicate ... More

There are newer employer reviews for 1-800 CONTACTS.

Worked for 1-800 CONTACTS? Contribute to the Community!