1105 Media

www.1105media.com
  www.1105media.com
There are newer employer reviews for 1105 Media

Perfectly fine place to work – a good stepping-stone company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at 1105 Media

Pros

When I first was interviewing at 1105 Media and read the reviews here on Glassdoor, I was really nervous. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by the entire company.

The work I do here at 1105 is interesting and is constantly evolving, which keeps things interesting and constantly challenges me. For the most part, any interaction or working experiences with upper management (including the Executive team) have been positive experiences. I do feel that I can always give my opinion, and even if they don’t take my advice or do what I suggest, I feel like I’m being “heard” and that they welcome my contributions.

Most people in the Vienna office are very friendly (some more than others, obviously), but it’s a little disjointed because of the multitude of business units and types of positions in those units (Events, Graphics, Analytics, Marketing, etc. are all kind of jumbled together). There are definitely people in this office whose names I don’t know, but others I know so well I could tell you the names of their children. Just depends where you sit / your business unit / how friendly you are in the kitchen and elevator.

Pay is standard for my position, as are the benefits/PTO. We also get a week off at Thanksgiving and Christmas, which is an awesome bonus.

Cons

It’s not a huge company, but not really small either, so while there is some room for growth (especially at the lower levels), once you hit certain positions, you’ve kind of peaked and can’t move anywhere else within the company.

There is also a bit of a gap between the publications and events teams (even if they’re within the same business units). Sometimes the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing, which is detrimental to both sides of the business.

I think yearly reviews should be enforced more.

49 Other Employee Reviews for 1105 Media (View Most Recent)

DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID unless you are prepared for personal and professional death.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at 1105 Media

Pros

You get the week at Thanksgiving and the weekend between Christmas and New Years off. Plus, everyone despises their jobs, so there is some comradery in all the complaints that can be interesting.

Cons

1105 is a toxic environment and it will be the death of you if you join this company. It doesn't matter which office you work in - the problem starts at the top - it’s a systematic issue.

Executives are extremely disorganized. This cannot be stressed enough… DISORGANIZED… they decide on a whim what todays “strategic” plan will be. Who’s going to work for whom. Which manager is going to be in charge of a particular business unit for this month. Pick a path and stick with it!

1105 tends to hire a large frequency of Senior-level/Executive Management – with very few actual worker bees to do the jobs. And most of the senior-level management are friends of friends and/or family, who are in fact incompetent and have zero experience with media. And with all the hiring at this level, there is no money left over to pay decent salaries to the employees that are working 60-80 hour weeks. Or <gasp> actually hire more worker bees.

Internal business units are combative and back-stabbing. It’s survival of the fittest but there is no pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

In the interviews they speak of growth and promotions. Do NOT get your hopes up. There was not one person that was promoted during my tenure in hell. They don’t even bother doing reviews since they know they aren’t going to promote anyone. And gosh forbid you actually have a bonus as part of your compensation package. They will find a way to say they can’t pay it and you didn’t earn it.

Sadly, I’ve seen so many GREAT employees leave because they were not valued, were not compensated and were deceived. But really it’s sad that employees stay (not that any stay by choice). Don’t be deceived by the amount of job postings this company has on their site – it’s not company growth, it’s replacement of employees who saw the light. The poor economy is the only reason 1105 is able to hire half the talent they have. But the good news to current employees: once you are able to get out, you can expect on average a 20k pay bump.

The Titanic sank to the bottom of the ocean... 1105 is not far behind.

But if in fact you want to try and turn the sinking ship around, stop doggy paddling and think you know what you are doing. Hire someone that can form a strategic plan and then try to stick with that plan for longer than 3 months. And if we are adding to the wish list of things that will never happen... it might be nice if that person you hire could actually lead a group and inspire happy and healthy employees who like their jobs.

Terrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at 1105 Media

Pros

Flexibility in schedule for personal appointments

Cons

Senior Management has no idea of how to manage nor do the back their employees, they are rude and very disrespectful to employees, unappreciative of those who actually work beyond the call of duty and are VERY CONFRONTATIONAL, almost like high school. I've never come across such a classless group of people in management who dispense no tact, supervisory skills, wisdom, competency that qualify their existence for such positions.

Management says that 1105 Media is a team force, however, this team does NOT EXIST. It has been my experience that this 'team" is alive in concept ONLY and not in action. In reality, behind the scenes there is such a disconnection between the 1105 Management and their employees. There is no uniformity as it pertains to policy, operations and procedures and this is a major factor to the continuing existence of issues within this company.

Leadership plays a significant role in the extinguishing of these issues, however, they choose to take a back seat and deny responsibility for their own governing. No one receives raises or performance evaluations. There is no company morale, the employees are over worked, underpaid and unappreciated but 1105 is not worried about them leaving because in this state of economy EVERYONE IS EXPENDABLE to them.

The one thing they fail to understand is that there is a time and season for everything and that the inevitable principle of 'sowing and reaping' is upon them. This is evident in their declining sales, numbers and their turnover rate for employees keeps increasing. The only reason why management looks successful to the members of the board is because they inherited employees who were independently managing their departments prior to those who stepped into supervisory positions.

Change begins and should be with Management including VP's, they need to humble themselves, re-evaluate their managerial practices; CHANGE THEM, and administer a company wide overhaul in leadership. There's something wrong when only a few leaders are the ones advancing in a company full of knowledgeable, hard working, skilled and capable employees.

There are newer employer reviews for 1105 Media