Okay starting place

I worked at 1st Global

Pros

Learn a lot while working there.

Cons

Dead end in terms of advancement and pay

Develop and promote talent. Pay fairly.

Other Reviews for 1st Global

Leaving with skills I will carry with me. I'm better now than I was when I started!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at 1st Global as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

My time at 1st Global was very enjoyable. My department was very inclusive and accepting of me, even as a contract employee. The company sponsors lots of in-house events for employees - happy hours, video game challenges, a variety show. To celebrate their $2 Billion dollar milestone as a company, the president came in and flipped pancakes for the entire office. I've never worked for a company that encouraged their employees to get together and know each other as much as this company did. World Cup fan? Every one of the 50+ big screen TVs was tuned to the US game - and everyone gathered around to watch and cheer. They are still able to operate like a small company in many respects. I believe the company culture is very strong and the vision is clear.

It's the most impressive office space you will ever step into. You can tell a lot of time was taken to design these offices. Great office "perks": Free garage parking. Regular employees are given access to free gym membership and building concierge service. They provide free sodas in the break room.

My experiences with upper management were extremely positive. There are some very smart executives working here. The President of the company sits in a cube and is very accessible to all employees, as is all of the upper management. They are dedicated to developing the future leaders of this company through some outstanding leadership training programs. They are also dedicated to development of their regular employees - whether that means additional licensing, professional designations, or advanced education.

In my role, I was give very clear, concise objectives and expectations. I never felt like it was a "sink or swim" environment. I found my department colleagues to be extremely knowledgeable of our field, and I always felt supported. At the same time, I had total autonomy, and was able to do my job and perform my duties in my own way. I was also given plenty of flexibility to take care of personal matters if needed, adjust my hours, and even take a day off. Employees are treated as professionals, and I didn't see a lot of nit-picking or micro managing. My performance was praised, and even as a seasoned professional in my field, I learned quite a bit. I'd even say I'm better at my job now after having worked with the people in my department.

I was never really privy to any of the office politics or cliques - I guess they were there, but aren't they in every office? Get over it and rise above! I've certainly worked in places were they were much WORSE! In my experience with 1st Global, I never noticed what some of the other reviewers did.

Cons

Painstakingly slow and manual recruiting and HR processes. There is no online applicant tracking system; therefore, there is no singular way for an application to get to the recruiter. The company is such a specialized niche in the financial services industry, they have some very non-conforming roles. To fill these roles, they are recruiting away from some of the big name firms. The individuals they have to recruit who are qualified for their roles are in some instances, getting paid higher salaries with incentive plans that 1st Global does not offer. This makes it difficult to recruit top talent in many cases.

Consider a variable comp and/or incentive plan for other licensed positions. Everyone at 1st Global is dedicated to making your advisers succeed. All of their efforts should be rewarded, as they are contributing to the success and growth of the financial advisers in the field.

By far the worst company that I've ever worked for! Worst decision ever.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at 1st Global full-time

Pros

There aren't any pros to working at this company.

Cons

The employees aren't treated fairly at all. Some of the staff are not very trustworthy & very cliquish to say the least. They push the open door policy but threaten to fire the employees who actually come forward. The employees are extremely unpaid for the large volumes of work that they are expected to complete. Incentives also aren't offered to employees, but the top executives receive large bonuses. Don't waste your time here. There are lots of. Companies out there who value, respect and treat all employees equally.

Learn how to treat the employees. It also may not be a bad idea to get rid of some of upper management and find individuals who truly know how to operate a company.

There are newer employer reviews for 1st Global.

Worked for 1st Global? Contribute to the Community!