22nd Century Media

There are newer employer reviews for 22nd Century Media

Good product, Bad leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at 22nd Century Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The little hyper-local newspapers are a great source for local news. Over all it could be a good product and business model.

Cons

The turn over at the company is beyond crazy. The salaries are horrible unless you work in the Northbrook office. It s disorganized at best. The office is dirty and cluttered. The benefit package is bad and expensive. The management team is young and inexperienced. One manager is yelling and using foul language while the other is so disorganized that questions go unanswered. They do not take responsibility for their own mistakes, rather heep it on to those who do the grunt work.

Get rid of the top management and bring qualified people in. Clean up the office as it is disgusting. Pay a decent salary and qualified people will be interested. Give respect to the work force and they will work hard.

8 Other Employee Reviews for 22nd Century Media (View Most Recent)

A Great Working Relationship

I have been working at 22nd Century Media

Pros

After working for one of the nation's leading daily newspapers for 40 years, for the past three years, I've worked as a free lance writer for the newspapers in Wilmette, Glenview, Northbrook and Winnetka. The editors of these publications are young, talented and energetic. They are a pleasure to work with. In addition to assigning and editing, they write and take pictures. As a result, they are very appreciative of the problems writers occasionally encounter. In covering sports and news for 22nd Century, I've discovered that the editors are known and respected in their respective communities. They're often out and about the way daily newspapers of yesteryear used to be and I think this connection with readers is a very important factor in the success of the newspapers in these communities.

Cons

The compensation is at the lower end of the free lance spectrum.

Don't meddle. Sure, editors will occasionally make mistakes. So do editors at major daily newspapers and they don't have to multi-task. I was amazed to see a posting describe the office as a pig-sty. That person musn't have seen many newspaper offices because it certainly doesn't describe 22nd Century headquarters in Northbrook. Over the years I've been to dozens of newspaper offices and the Northbrook office is one of the neatest I've seen.

An awful place to work

I worked at 22nd Century Media

Pros

If you're a young journalist, you can quickly ascend to the rank of editor due to the high turnover. You can also accumulate clips for a future job.

Cons

Too many to list them all. The management quarrels amongst itself and does not know how to actually manage because none of them have worked anywhere else. The company as a whole suffers from a complete lack of experience. As for the staff, the hours are long and salary is pitiful.

Be less selfish and self-absorbed. They all know the place is not the best to work, and yet they do nothing about it. If management does not evolve and change and try to improve, why should the staff?

There are newer employer reviews for 22nd Century Media