22nd Century Media

Good product, Bad leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orland Park, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at 22nd Century Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

The little hyper-local newspapers are a great source for local news. Over all it could be a good product and business model.

Cons

The turn over at the company is beyond crazy. The salaries are horrible unless you work in the Northbrook office. It s disorganized at best. The office is dirty and cluttered. The benefit package is bad and expensive. The management team is young and inexperienced. One manager is yelling and using foul language while the other is so disorganized that questions go unanswered. They do not take responsibility for their own mistakes, rather heep it on to those who do the grunt work.

Get rid of the top management and bring qualified people in. Clean up the office as it is disgusting. Pay a decent salary and qualified people will be interested. Give respect to the work force and they will work hard.

7 Other Employee Reviews for 22nd Century Media (View Most Recent)

A Great Working Relationship

I have been working at 22nd Century Media

Pros

After working for one of the nation's leading daily newspapers for 40 years, for the past three years, I've worked as a free lance writer for the newspapers in Wilmette, Glenview, Northbrook and Winnetka. The editors of these publications are young, talented and energetic. They are a pleasure to work with. In addition to assigning and editing, they write and take pictures. As a result, they are very appreciative of the problems writers occasionally encounter. In covering sports and news for 22nd Century, I've discovered that the editors are known and respected in their respective communities. They're often out and about the way daily newspapers of yesteryear used to be and I think this connection with readers is a very important factor in the success of the newspapers in these communities.

Cons

The compensation is at the lower end of the free lance spectrum.

Don't meddle. Sure, editors will occasionally make mistakes. So do editors at major daily newspapers and they don't have to multi-task. I was amazed to see a posting describe the office as a pig-sty. That person musn't have seen many newspaper offices because it certainly doesn't describe 22nd Century headquarters in Northbrook. Over the years I've been to dozens of newspaper offices and the Northbrook office is one of the neatest I've seen.

An "old school" newsroom culture, battle for market dominance and winning editorial formula make this a great workplace.

Current Employee - Writer  in  Wilmette, IL
    Current Employee - Writer in Wilmette, IL

I have been working at 22nd Century Media as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

After 20 years as a reporter and newsroom executive at daily papers in Boston and Chicago, and ten years as the executive editor of the Pioneer Press’s North Shore papers, I can honestly say I am very proud to be spending my post-retirement years as a freelance writer for 22nd Century Media’s North Shore weeklies. Week-in, week-out, the papers competently and attractively offer what the competition doesn’t. That is: a comprehensive package of hyper-local news, features, sports, arts, even long-form obituaries, which no other weeklies offer. To my eyes, it’s all made possible by an “old school” newsroom culture built around youthful enthusiasm, impressive skill sets, steady professionalism, collegiality and competitive fire.

Cons

Every page of every newspaper ever written cold be nit-picked. Others can take on that task.

Stay true to your overarching philosophy -- that the residents of affluent towns generally like where they live, feel good about their community, and will value a truly local paper that shares that respect. And only hire staff that buy into that attitude.

There are newer employer reviews for 22nd Century Media

Worked for 22nd Century Media? Contribute to the Community!