24 Hour Fitness

There are newer employer reviews for 24 Hour Fitness

love it!!!!

Current Employee - Assistant Membership Manager in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Assistant Membership Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good money and chances to move up in the company and grow your career. The employees are very nice.

Cons

They go by your performance but also by who you know. If you know the right people you will make more money and move up way faster than others.

Pay more money

521 Other Employee Reviews for 24 Hour Fitness (View Most Recent)

Work hard, maybe get paid

Current Employee - Membership Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Membership Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome culture (in some clubs). You work at a gym! Work days are for the most part easy going. Get to help people achieve their fitness goals.

Cons

Lot of pressure to hit monthly goals. Not a lot of recognition when you do. Hard to hire talented workers with such minimal pay which just adds more pressure to the managers. Seems like corporate makes it harder to bonus every year. Some clubs are given very aggressive goals in sub par facilities making it very difficult to bonus. "Big wigs" only come in to tell you you are performing poorly.

Fix amenities when they first break down. Don't wait and damage the gyms reputation and pay a bigger sum later anyway. Pay department head more or make entry level jobs more appealing to attract better talent.

Could be Better, Could be Worse

Current Employee - Personal Trainer I in Monterey Park, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer I in Monterey Park, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

1)Super supportive management, although I'm sure that varies from club to club. They really want you to do wellI and be happy, and they understand how that ties into the success of the club as a whole.
    2)Everyone pitches in- no one is "above" say, cleaning the locker rooms just because its "not their job."
    3) I have a lot of control over my schedule.
    4) It's a great place for a new trainer to gain experience working with a variety of client types. You get the chance to figure out for yourself what works and what works better, as well as find your niche population.

Cons

1) No one is "above" say, cleaning the locker rooms just because it is "not their job." That means that you are going to be the one to do some dirty, dirty, jobs sometimes.
    2) It's not a very lucrative place to be a trainer. A big part of what makes 24HF a marketable company is its affordability, so many of the members aren't financially equipped for the cost of training in the long term. Add to that the fact that the training packages are pretty small and need to be resigned frequently, and you can see where client retention might be a problem. And, like all corporate gyms, the company takes the lion's share of what the client pays for the session.
    3)Looong days for not many $$$$s. Booking all of your clients back to back is not realistic for most trainers, so this has more to do with the profession than with this particular company.
    4) 24HF trainers do not have the best reputation within the industry. Like I said, it's a great place to gain experience without a lot of pressure to perform, but a few take advantage of the chance to be lazy. Working here doesn't make you a bad trainer, but you certainly don't have to be a good one to keep your job, and I worry that their low standards will follow me and haunt my resume later.

I like that you recently added an experience component to the PT tier system, but experience doesn't automatically make a trainer better. There should be some additional (meaningful) criteria for moving up to the next training tier. In exchange for that additional requirement, I think you could afford to give a bigger cut of the training cost to the trainer. When you pay 11-25% an hour to the trainer, it may not sound that bad, but keep in mind that we spend a good amount of time OFF THE CLOCK building and analyzing our clients' programs. The amount of time we are putting in for the return that we get is unreasonable, forcing many to take on second jobs and, consequently, reducing the amount of time we can spend in the gym pulling new clients.

There are newer employer reviews for 24 Hour Fitness