There are newer employer reviews for 24 Hour Fitness

A great environment to work in as long as management is good at your location.

Former Employee - Kids Club/Service Representative in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Kids Club/Service Representative in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved working with my coworkers; it really felt like a family. Great opportunity for growth, you can move up in the company if you want to and are dedicated.

Cons

The company is so structured that managers have little wiggle room. Many people in management positions have chips on their shoulders and do not respect their employees.

Advice to Management

Make sure that all of your employees know how valuable they are to you.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Confessions of an IMpersonal trainer

Former Employee - Personal Trainer II in Chino Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer II in Chino Hills, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's great to be in a gym for work. The 24 hour fitness I worked at was a very positive environment, both based on the attitudes of the staff and the majority of the clientele that came through the door.

Cons

At the time of my employment with 24 hour fitness, I was into my 4th year as a student in Nutrition and Dietetics. I was also Certified Personal Trainer with the National Strength and Conditioning Association. This was also NOT my first job as a personal trainer. In short, I know personal training and I know nutrition. Despite all this, 24 hour fitness management would not allow me to work within my own knowledge and experience when it came to my clients, even after almost a year of working with the company. I worked under multiple different supervisors during my tenure, all of which implemented a "my way or the highway" approach to what their trainers were doing and advising to their clients, no matter the client or the training goal. Myself and the other trainers there were all hamstrung in our approach with our clients, which revolved more around the selling of training packages and supplements. Not doing so would also result in management going over your head or around you regarding decisions made for clients. The most notable instance being the attempt by a manager to sell my client a weight loss supplement that contained active ingredients that would have counteracted his hypertension medication (thank goodness he knew that too!). I loved my career as a personal trainer, but absolutely abhorred my time with 24 hour fitness.

Advice to Management

Something that struck me as odd was the fact that despite all these great trainers that worked at my location (and there were people there with some MAJOR credentials), there was no attempt made by management to promote and market their trainers and the services they provided, or to introduce them to their clientele at the time they're hired. Especially with previously experienced trainers, this could be an invaluable way to drum up business, to let the trainers and the training experience they provide sell itself. Experienced trainers (i.e. those with national credentials and those who have worked as personal trainers previously) can and should also be given a certain amount of leeway in how they approach their individual clients given.

2. Personal Trainer PT 1

Former Employee - Personal Trainer I in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer I in Seattle, WA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training and preparation Inviting and positive work culture Flexible work hours Good pay

Cons

Hated the "salesman" approach to recruiting new clients Very bottom line driven - all that matters is training frequency and selling large training packages Management and employee base operated under different rules

Advice to Management

Make sure procedures and protocols are known throughout work force and everybody is abiding by same framework. Veteran trainers seemed to get preferential treatment and were allowed to get away with things that I, as a new trainer, was reprimanded for.