Company lacking integrity

Former Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Rancho San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Rancho San Diego, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Make your own work schedule.

Cons

Horrible pay. Upward mobility is limited

Provide stock options for full time employees

Other Reviews for 24 Hour Fitness

This used to be a fun job.....not anymore

Current Employee - Group X Instructor  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Group X Instructor in Denver, CO

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

flexible schedule, free membership, instructors can use child-care while they're teaching class

Cons

I've been a part time Group-X instructor @ 24Hour for 7 years. About 4 years ago the company decided to go from in-house 24Hour-created classes to contracting with an outside company to provide all the class formats. Before the change, 24 provided instructor training to ALL of the Group-X instructors -and it was FREE (so we were regularly updated and refreshed on new formats). Now, you are expected to pay for your own training to the tune of $250/pop and then subscribe (via your own credit card) to the outside company (Les Mills, Powder Blue, Schwinn etc) to get updates another $40/quarter. Not OK.

There has been tremendous turn-over in Group-X management. Over the last 4 years I've been through at least 7 supervisors & managers -- I didn't even know I had a new boss until I got a nasty email from one of them.

Get to know your employees (even the part time ones)!!!! Provide company-paid-for training and continuing education for ALL of your Group-X instructors -not just your favorites. And take a look at why you keep having so much turn-over in management. Obviously they're quitting for a reason.

Hit or miss, very club specific.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer III  in  Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer III in Beaverton, OR

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large client base, some great managers, can lead a fit lifestyle while helping others get fit.

Cons

Too corporate, too much focus on the bottom line and not customer experience

There was some bad management that drove away a lot of talented people, but senior management finally caught it and put some great managers in their place. The process was very slow though and I would encourage them to move more quickly. But Andrew Feranti and Joey Jenkins as managers was one of the best decisions they could have made.

There are newer employer reviews for 24 Hour Fitness.

Worked for 24 Hour Fitness? Contribute to the Community!