There are newer employer reviews for 24 Hour Fitness

Have worked here for over 20 years as a Group X Instructor; love what I do and the connection to membersl

Current Employee - Group Exercise Instructor in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Group Exercise Instructor in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love teaching and the impact I have with members. Their enthusiasm motivates me to continue teaching.

Cons

Lack of management training. I know that they intend well, but the impact does not always have the desired outcome. Communication can be challenging. Our Group X Manager is in another state and I imagine has over 300 direct reports. She tries her best to keep us informed and engaged. It would also be nice to actually meet her/talk with her, but given the scope of responsibility and geography it may never happen. In my 20 years, I've received three increases and have been reviewed twice. There is no established performance/merit program. For years, I've been telling 24HF via the employee surveys and with management that we were being paid wrong as GX Instructors. I even let them know the potential risk of a class action lawsuit due to it. No one ever followed or no action taken, until....guess what? A class action lawsuit was filed and millions had to be paid out.

Advice to Management

Provide training for your management team. They don't know what they don't know. Provide a formal program for performance and merit. I can pretty much guarantee that a majority of the GX Instructors aren't doing this for the money, we do it because we enjoy it; would be nice to get recognized and rewarded for it. Improve communicatioi skills. We get monthly newsletters and they mean well, but the accolades, appreciate what you do, thank you don't really seem genuine if management has never met us, seen what we do or reviewed our performance. HR needs to be more responsive. I and many other employees have little to no follow-up. As an example, when lifeguard training was required for CA instructors, many instructors had questions to HR and GX communications. Some folks NEVER heard back, some took weeks/months to hear back about their questions. On the flip side, GX communications made it seem like scheduling a session so soon was really helpful. It may have been to a few, but to many it stressed them out. We lost some good instructors because if it. If communication was presented by validating to all the instructors that this is a new requirement that it sounds challenging to do and balancing that with what is actually required would have been best. Also, getting back to employees timely with their questions and concerns would have been very helpful. In addition, when the training was done in the gyms, some location management was not receptive to having it done in their location. Rather than being welcoming and accommodating, they made it seem like such an inconvenience. Do they not understand that this is to benefit the club and the members??? Laslty, just my observations outside of the GX world, I've seen inappropriate behavior by leadership in the gyms; including hitting on members (asking one time and getting "not interested" is okay; continuing to ask is harassment); PT's are burning sessions without members knowing to pad their paychecks. Does anyone in corporate or the supposed third-party ethics company look into these??? Unfortunate situations....

Other Employee Reviews for 24 Hour Fitness

1. Fun, wonderful

Pros

They help with extended schooling such as getting certified or degrees as long as its in the fitness field. Great managers. Fun place to work. Great discounts on products

Cons

Without more schooling hard to get a raise. Communication between managers could be better. Getting rehired after you leave the company should be a lot easier.

Advice to Management

?

2. Amongst the gyms out there, this one is a grand place to work!

Current Employee - Group X Instructor in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Group X Instructor in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diversity Training, flexible schedules, up-to-date with technical interfaces and functions, well-rounded staff and strict on employee behaviors.

Cons

Some of my fitness group managers feel entitled to be there and are not always caring about their part time instructors. My last boss was downright rude when I asked her about a raise after working there 6 years, even though my classes proved to be the most-attended in the gym. If I did the job for pay rate, I would leave, but I work there because I enjoy the membership we have.

Advice to Management

Ensure that managers listen to their employees, even part time ones. Everyone is a part of the company. The company proves they care by making us take online classes and keeps us aware of trends, but it seems some managers can get away with anything still. Keep tabs on managers better?