There are newer employer reviews for 2U

Trending toward greatness

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor  in  Landover, MD
Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Senior Management fosters constant innovation while providing clear goals for themselves as well as each department. We are routinely asked to embrace changes that our peers, not management , have developed allowing many to step out of their day to day role and contribute on a much larger scale. This contribution has resulted in a greater sense of family/unity. Feedback is consistently requested to further evolve what we do well.. The mission of 2U attracts top people which forces you to bring your best each day because you know the person on either side of you is just as talented and driven. That said, from the C-level team down to managers the focus is on collaboration not cutthroat competition to move the business forward.

Cons

Early promotions were based on sales ability or friendships not leadership or management ability. Through a good HR process and clearer metrics across all departments the management team has grown in a much more productive way, internal promotions are deserved and evident by the time they occur. Related to this as the company has matured there were growing pains from employees that were excited by the "Start-up" mentality. We have moved past that but some have found it hard to embrace a more corporate approach to things.

Unless you live in DC the commute can be brutal at times. Additionally the options for lunch, or team gatherings after hours are severely limited in the immediate area.

Stay the course, find new ways to motivate just as you challenge teams to find new ways to improve.

81 Other Employee Reviews for 2U (View Most Recent)

A Young Professional's Dream

Current Employee - Student Support Manager  in  Landover Hills, MD
    Current Employee - Student Support Manager in Landover Hills, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has such an incredible impact on peoples daily lives. In the role that I have, I have gotten to personally see the growth of people from all over the world as they earn their Masters degrees. Customer Services is top priority and it shows from the bottom all the way to the top of the company.

2U is fashioning itself to be the next Google in terms of employee satisfaction and fun. They actually ask you on their satisfaction report every year if you have a best friend in the company. That simple question shows that they care how you feel about coming into work everyday. They want to harbor these types of relationships here. Events are held by employees to gather everyone together in different areas just to have fun with each other. It's an exciting thing to be a part of.

Cons

The company is a start-up so there are some kinks they are working on figuring out. Sometimes career paths can be muddled, but they are striving to make that clearer. I have been with the company for several years at this point, so I have seen my fair share of ups and downs, somethings get taken care of right away - others take a little longer.

Work/Life balance are not amazing all the time - everyone works long hours and sometimes too often. The balance comes from within the employee but also from management, the expectations need to be realistic. They are getting MUCH better with this since the company has grown.

Be open and excited for your employees to explore other opportunities within the company. If people see that you are happy for them, they are going to stay - and that's what you want. You want your good people to stay within the company.

Exciting mission, strong and competent leadership, and real opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- leadership has a clear vision and invests time to share with all employees
    - terrific co-workers, I'm a part of a professional "family"
    - real advancement opportunities exist for internal candidates who actively go after them
    - really changing the nature of higher education

Cons

- there is a lot of work, but that comes naturally with growth and opportunity
    - lunch options in Landover are better now, but still limited

- stay visible and continue to communicate with people
    - continue the "fun" factor even as we continue to grow

There are newer employer reviews for 2U

Worked for 2U? Contribute to the Community!