There are newer employer reviews for 2U

Trending toward greatness

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD
Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Senior Management fosters constant innovation while providing clear goals for themselves as well as each department. We are routinely asked to embrace changes that our peers, not management , have developed allowing many to step out of their day to day role and contribute on a much larger scale. This contribution has resulted in a greater sense of family/unity. Feedback is consistently requested to further evolve what we do well.. The mission of 2U attracts top people which forces you to bring your best each day because you know the person on either side of you is just as talented and driven. That said, from the C-level team down to managers the focus is on collaboration not cutthroat competition to move the business forward.

Cons

Early promotions were based on sales ability or friendships not leadership or management ability. Through a good HR process and clearer metrics across all departments the management team has grown in a much more productive way, internal promotions are deserved and evident by the time they occur. Related to this as the company has matured there were growing pains from employees that were excited by the "Start-up" mentality. We have moved past that but some have found it hard to embrace a more corporate approach to things.

Unless you live in DC the commute can be brutal at times. Additionally the options for lunch, or team gatherings after hours are severely limited in the immediate area.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, find new ways to motivate just as you challenge teams to find new ways to improve.

reviews filtered by

A Young Professional's Dream

Current Employee - Student Support Manager in Landover Hills, MD
    Current Employee - Student Support Manager in Landover Hills, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has such an incredible impact on peoples daily lives. In the role that I have, I have gotten to personally see the growth of people from all over the world as they earn their Masters degrees. Customer Services is top priority and it shows from the bottom all the way to the top of the company.

2U is fashioning itself to be the next Google in terms of employee satisfaction and fun. They actually ask you on their satisfaction report every year if you have a best friend in the company. That simple question shows that they care how you feel about coming into work everyday. They want to harbor these types of relationships here. Events are held by employees to gather everyone together in different areas just to have fun with each other. It's an exciting thing to be a part of.

Cons

The company is a start-up so there are some kinks they are working on figuring out. Sometimes career paths can be muddled, but they are striving to make that clearer. I have been with the company for several years at this point, so I have seen my fair share of ups and downs, somethings get taken care of right away - others take a little longer.

Work/Life balance are not amazing all the time - everyone works long hours and sometimes too often. The balance comes from within the employee but also from management, the expectations need to be realistic. They are getting MUCH better with this since the company has grown.

Advice to Management

Be open and excited for your employees to explore other opportunities within the company. If people see that you are happy for them, they are going to stay - and that's what you want. You want your good people to stay within the company.

Stay far away from this place

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD

I worked at 2U full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are right out of college, the pay is great. Also, you get to wear jeans to work.

Cons

This place seems like one big party. The culture is "work hard, play hard" which sounds nice, but if you're used to some sort of structure, then this isn't the place for you. Whenever problems arise, they blame it on the company's growing pains. This gets tiring to hear. Just fix it. The company has been in existence long enough that this phrase need not be uttered quite so much.

It appears that the more you brown nose, the further you'll go, regardless of skill level. I heard so many supposed managers talking to students and they didn't sound very good on the phone. I was confused as to how they got where they were, because they certainly didn't sound like they knew what they were talking about and they lacked finesse. Also, people that win awards aren't necessarily skilled at what they do - they've simply kissed up to the right people. One could argue that that goes on at any job, but it is blatant here.

Working next to people that have ZERO admissions experience can be annoying. You know you're being paid the same thing, yet they have no idea what they are doing.

There is little rhyme or reason why some things are done and almost no consistency. I suspect this relates to their "growing pains".

A member of senior management gave a demotivating speech letting new admissions counselors know that they were just sales people, nothing more. There wasn't an ounce of gratitude in his speech for the job we did or the revenue bought to the company.

Advice to Management

Make this like a real workplace. Groom professionals. It's fine to have fun, but you can do that and still be professional. It's not ok to use swearwords when speaking to those that work for you.

There are newer employer reviews for 2U