There are newer employer reviews for 2U

This is an excellent company with absolutely fantastic people.

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD
Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing with plenty of new opportunities. The management actually cares about employees. Great reputation in its industry. Family atmosphere. Open door policy. Senior executives roll up their sleeves along with everyone else.

Cons

There are more lateral than upward opportunities. The company is outgrowing the building that contains it. The work can demand a lot of effort after business hours.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of undeveloped talent in the ranks. Consider promoting them before hiring from without.

Other Employee Reviews for 2U

1. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2U sticks to their 'no-asshole' policy by hiring the right people for the company culture. Everyone is friendly and eager to meet the new staff. I've met some amazing people here and get along with everyone I've encountered. I started as an intern and worked my way up to several different full-time positions within my first two years here. There is a lot of room for growth if you perform your current job at a high-level. The CEO is phenomenal and walks around to shake the hands of all employees. He cares about making sure his staff are taken care of and have fun while working hard. The mission of the company is meaningful. After every company call or meeting you feel as though you are truly contributing to bettering the lives of others. The casual dress code, spontaneous dance parties, always-available snacks and happy hours are all huge perks, as well. Convenient commute for those without cars, as it is extremely close to multiple public transportation lines. Slightly inconvenient if you are not taking public transportation, as the commute from DC takes about 30 minutes and Baltimore takes about 45. The work can be difficult and time consuming (isn't that why it's called work?), but in the end it makes you feel great about what you do each day.

Cons

With any start-up or growing company, it can cause late or unexpected long hours to get your work completed. I keep my work email on my phone so I have access at all times in case any urgent situations occur while I'm not in the office. Also, certain positions can have a high burn-out rate due to the demanding nature of the job, causing people to become discouraged when they are not able to move around to another position.

Advice to Management

Keep burn-out rates low by keeping our culture's work-hard/play-hard mentality.

Fun company changing online education.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment with an open office environment. Free snacks. The company is full of great people.

Cons

Limited vacation and sick days offered, and your days off combine vacation and sick. Benefits could be better, especially related to maternity leave.