3D Systems

www.3dsystems.com
  www.3dsystems.com
There are newer employer reviews for 3D Systems

Growing company with many internal issues

Former Employee - Shipping/Receiving Associate in South Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Shipping/Receiving Associate in South Seattle, WA

I worked at 3D Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The go-to company for prototype and production plastic and wax parts, stable, growing company, decent wages, good benefits, day shift schedule

Cons

Communication, management style, indifferent and/or apathetic managers, older computers and technology, not enough opportunities for advancement/growth, IT department is understaffed

My perspective from my tenure there: Management needs to be more willing to step up and help people acclimate to the company and its way of life. They're experiencing growing pains in all areas due to rapid growth and expansion.

Personal thoughts and experiences:

I was given only 2 weeks to train on the job I was hired for, to be the only guy in the shipping/receiving department. I was required to learn UPS, FedEx, DHL, and freight shipping methods, as well as to know and remember particular instructions for every customer. I felt like I was being thrown to the wolves with no one to fall back on...it was sink or swim. I made some initial mistakes, and I attribute those to this lack of training. I wasn't deliberately making these mistakes...I always tried to do everything to the best of my ability.

I didn't feel like management put me in a position to succeed. I was putting in some long hours, usually 9 1/2 to 10 per day, and leaving work weary. Very rarely did I get a compliment for anything I did correctly, but when I made mistakes I was certainly told about it. I was never asked if I needed some additional training, help, etc. Management was doing things and making decisions concerning the shipping/receiving department that I wasn't aware of until it was happening. The 3D location I worked for added 5 new machines to fabricate parts, and it wasn't until about 3 weeks before I was let go that my former boss brought in an assistant for the department.

I appreciated the opportunity to work for this company, but after I'd been there for the first month or so I realized that it was just about too much for one person to handle. They were running the shipping/receiving department bare bones. I stuck it out because I wanted to be working, even though it stressed me out and I dreaded going to work every day. I hope they can find someone who can handle all of the repsonsibilities. I tried but just wasn't able to keep it all together as one person. With the addition of a helper working in the department it should be much easier. I think if I'd been giving an assistant sooner I may have been able to keep up with everything that needed to be done on a daily basis.

Prior to being let go, I received a written reprimand (no verbal reprimand prior) due to errors I'd made in the billing process. Apparently my former boss had been keeping detailed records of my mistakes. Some of these errors had extenuating circumstances, but I didn't say anything because I figured that anything I said wouldn't be believed and would be documented (I didn't want anything documented to be used against me later). During this meeting in my former boss's office, she told me I had to have 100% accuracy from there on out. This isn't realistic for ANY company...it should be a goal. At that point I knew my days were numbered.

If I'd known what I was going to experience before taking the job, I might very well have turned it down. When I was let go, I felt like the weight on my shoulders had been lifted.

45 Other Employee Reviews for 3D Systems (View Most Recent)

A high-tech company but with a confusing management style

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at 3D Systems

Pros

No.1 in its industry. Non-replaceable product for its customer. Industry is kind of future prospect.

Cons

Management style is a mess. No appreciation for internal staff. Career path not clear. Really really short-handed.

Focus more on your own people and product instead of purchase many other companies.

Good company!

Current Employee - Marketing in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Marketing in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at 3D Systems

Pros

If you want to be involved in the latest technology and work in a cool industry you won't go wrong applying to work at 3D Systems. Everyone is friendly and the work atmosphere couldn't be better. They have a great gym to help keep you in shape they have a really good work life balance since I have started working here.

Cons

Pay and advancement opportunities are said to be high when going through the hiring process. However, once your in you will find out that there are dead ends for both or you get passed up by less experienced people.

I would be a bit more realistic with potential new hires so they can make better choices on employment and advancement opportunities.

There are newer employer reviews for 3D Systems