3M

Just a little 3M

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

An open and fairly casual attitude about delivering sales results is the best reason for working at 3M. We are prodivded the tools and traning necessary to do our jobs and do them well. We have support from immediate and upper management when any issues arise and very quick response to correct them.

Cons

We are a big company that moves very slow to make changes if they can be made at all. If one is not identified as a top producer or effective leader it may be impossible to move towards the position you want.

None

655 Other Employee Reviews for 3M (View Most Recent)

3M, a PROUD company to work for

Current Employee - Product Manager in Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Ames, IA

I have been working at 3M

Pros

Lots of good benefits and opportunities are available at 3M. Bosses are usually hands off (perhaps because they are so entangled in meetings). It is a great company to work for, as there are a ton of extracurricular activities outside of work hours. The company has a good pay/job grade system that allows fair transition from one job grade to the other, and fair annual rate increases, based on job grade, EC&DP evaluation and goal accomplishments. It is also a great opportunity for employees to be able to be part of a profit-sharing benefits package. However, most of all, the best reason to work at 3M is the ability to buy Post-It notes at cost, besides all the tapes and other products 3M makes.

Cons

3M, which comes from M M M, stands for "Meetings, Meetings, and More Meetings". Hence 3 M's. Every day passes with at least a meeting or three - pun intended! There are so many policies to work around, that it becomes sometimes impossible to accomplish a job in a given time frame, or worse, a project that may have required 1 month, takes 6 months to a year to complete. This slows down the momentum. The fact is that this is how ALL 3M businesses operate; it is not only a certain group, but from Operations, to R&D, to Engineering... One other downside, if you don't like to work for a "big company", then 3M is a BIG COMPANY spread around the world.

Senior Management need not any advice from the likes of us. They live to better the company every day. However, they should pay attention to what goes on in the details of everyones everyday job to make sure that policies they put in place are in the works.

Not the "old 3M"

Current Employee - Safety Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Safety Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

Decent career opportunities. My boss lets me think freely without hovering. I have a flexible schedule and am allowed to do my job with little to no micromanagement. Nice benefits. Many opportunities available throughout the country and world. I have lived in different parts of the country all while working for 3M, and have enjoyed most all of it.

Cons

Bureaucratic policies and lots of red tape - no pun intended. It's not the same company I started working for right out of college, for sure. Policies exist for every little thing - working and making decisions should not have to be this difficult or cumbersome.

Cut the tape and do what makes sense because it makes sense, not because there's a policy surrounding it.

There are newer employer reviews for 3M