3M

www.3m.com

3M - hidden opportunities

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Maplewood, MN

Pros3M has a very innovation oriented culture. Employees are encouraged to come up with even incremental process and product improvements.

Coworkers are very cooperative. There are very few barriers to information sharing. You can go across the campus to another lab and get the resources you need for your project.

ConsTo succeed in 3M, you have to be working in a core technology such as films, adhesives or biochemicals. If you are in a support group or division, opportunities for exciting projects or career advancement are limited.

Mid level managers seem to have very little power. They have very limited ability to help their direct reports in performance improvements until it is too late.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower the mid level managers and lab directors to make the necessary changes. Make them more enaged in the careers of their direct reports so that they can provide effective feedback and guidance.

Resources cut left and right does not create a growth engine.

Senior Product Development Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros: Many opportunities to move into other jobs for especially sales, marketing, business, chemists, and engineers. Diversity of projects and people. Culture of innovation… Cons: Innovation has taken a real hit. Creativity is stifled by management who only sees one quarter ahead. Not willing to take big risks… Advice to Senior Management: Emphasize 15% time. Speed up the development time of new projects by applying… More

Just a little 3M

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros: An open and fairly casual attitude about delivering sales results is the best reason for working at 3M. We are prodivded the tools and traning… Cons: We are a big company that moves very slow to make changes if they can be made at all. If one… Advice to Senior Management: None Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on 3M.

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!