There are newer employer reviews for 3M

Aide Senior scientist in running tests and data gathering.

Current Employee - Technical Aide in Maplewood, MN
Current Employee - Technical Aide in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

The company is so large that you can move from department to department if you are let off. Very large range of skills there.

Cons

Sometimes it can be too large. It's easy to make connections inside your department but there are so many people that if you want to be recognized you really have to swim through the rest.

Advice to Management

They do a great job of including everyone in meetings and really do listen to each other. The meetings are rarely larger than 8 people.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good place to work

Current Employee - Tech Aide in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Tech Aide in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

Great job for getting your foot in the door. Very personable, competent coworkers. Potential for high mobility within the company.

Cons

Contract workers stick around longer than usual, which can be good and bad. Poor communication with regards to external application process.

Great People, Frustrating Corporate Culture

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

Great place to learn the basics and experience an old-school hierarchical sales force and engineering focused culture. We are really, really good at being big. When the younger generation takes over this company will be a very different place (hopefully).

Cons

Politics. CONSERVATIVE culture. Very limited understanding of new media, modern brand management, or anything cutting edge (if this company was a sad man at the bar it would be 55 and whiter than minnesota). We are so good at over-engineering stuff that our customers don't want sometimes it's silly.

Advice to Management

Make a lot of small bets. Embrace the changing face of tech. Trust and empower young and upwardly mobile employees.