3M

www.3m.com
  www.3m.com
There are newer employer reviews for 3M

innovative company with opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Nevada, MO
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Nevada, MO

I have been working at 3M

Pros

3M has a culture that allows innovation without punishment for failure. Lean six sigma is one of the main reasons for 3M's success in keeping costs down and hiring outstanding people. Communication from the middle management down is good so I assume communication down the chain of command to all levels is the same. Compensation and benefits are in line with the industry standard although there have been some changes. We'll have to see what the industry does. Morale is high considering the economy and the tough decision from St. Paul. Management shows a great deal of respect to the employees.

Cons

The culture of "that is the way we have always done it" is alive and well within all ranks. This is starting to change in the production area but is slow to be adopted in other areas. One of the downsides is some of the plants are in small towns. This is not always a downside but if you want a good meal you may have to drive for it as well as going shopping. This also limits the potential employee pool and makes it difficult to get an outstanding engineer or manager into your plant due to the location.

remove the silos between plants/divisions

652 Other Employee Reviews for 3M (View Most Recent)

Slave to the Man

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

Its a large company with lots of diversity of products. You have many options, if the company is doing well.

Cons

I'm not certain that they care about their employees and their relations with their employees. Rather than being straightforward with decisions or showing confidence with decisions, they wait until the last minute to make decisions. The true test of how great a company is to work for is how they treat their employees in downturns. 3M is not demonstrating to me that its a company I will want to stay with for my career.

Be honest and forthcoming with employees. Don't leak some information and then change your mind 5 million times. If we need a layoff, have a freaking layoff... don't make the company hellish for all employees. You won't lose the crappy employees, you'll lose the ones you don't really want to lose (those with not enough initiative to move on!)

A good place to work, but the glory days are clearly long gone

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M

Pros

Opportunities for moving within the company across businesses abound. There is a great deal to be learned from the many employees who have been there for 30+ years - excellent information sharing across businesses. Generous benefits.

Cons

For a company so well known for innovation, resistance to new ideas in some businesses is perplexing. The culture promotes stagnancy in many respects. It is often those who don't rock the boat and can play the internal politics game well who rise to the top. Senior Management often lacks the impressive resume and accomplishments found at other peer companies. Compensation for internal positions often falls far short of what is paid to external candidates.

There are newer employer reviews for 3M