There are newer employer reviews for 3M

3M is a World of it's own!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M

Pros

job security, innovation, room for growth or bi-lateral movement, overall compensation package, great opportunities to be involved in projects or perhaps travel, the more time and effort you put it the more you are rewarded.

Cons

dependent upon the manger there is quite a bit of favoritism as far as new opportunities, the performance management system is one where the company is forced to have a certain percentage of employees in the unsatisfactory area, a certain percentage in the performing satisfactorily, and the exceeding requirements. I personally, did not feel it was a fair system when the same favored employee would always get the limited exceeding requirements, if made others not want to put forth effort because they knew it would not be recognized.

Advice to Management

Change the performance management system as you have done so often in past years.

reviews filtered by
  1. Overall pretty good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I worked at 3M

Pros

The location I was at definitely had very good company culture, and we were working on an innovative product that changed the industry.

Cons

3M has some typical large company issues. For example, needed 3 or 4 level of approval for a new hire.

Advice to Management

It's would be great if the site management could enjoy more self-governing, especially on technical issues that higher level management don't have much clue.

2. Good

Former Employee - Business Development in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in San Diego, CA

I worked at 3M

Pros

Nice people, great opportunities with product

Cons

Unorganized and not focused on any one thing

Advice to Management

Set your priorities

There are newer employer reviews for 3M