Working at 3M was overall a good experience

Former Employee - Recruiter in Maplewood, MN
Former Employee - Recruiter in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

3M offers great training opportunities, excellent benefits and variety when it comes to side projects. The business units, for the most part, appreciated working with my dept.

Cons

More politics there than at other companies comparable in size.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Total disregard for personal lives. Mandatory overtime is the norm. It is very common to work 30 days in a row.

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Aberdeen, SD
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Aberdeen, SD

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

a chance for a lot of overtime, and a chance to earn a fair, competitive salary.

Cons

you feel like a slave. I worked four months in a row with a total of four days off work. Their approach is: if you don't do it, we'll find someone who will. You might as well give up any family, life, or happiness if you work here.

Advice to Management

Remember these are human beings working for you! Look around, people are limping, sore, beaten, and you're lucky you aren't imprisoned for inhumane treatment.

3M is a World of it's own!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M

Pros

job security, innovation, room for growth or bi-lateral movement, overall compensation package, great opportunities to be involved in projects or perhaps travel, the more time and effort you put it the more you are rewarded.

Cons

dependent upon the manger there is quite a bit of favoritism as far as new opportunities, the performance management system is one where the company is forced to have a certain percentage of employees in the unsatisfactory area, a certain percentage in the performing satisfactorily, and the exceeding requirements. I personally, did not feel it was a fair system when the same favored employee would always get the limited exceeding requirements, if made others not want to put forth effort because they knew it would not be recognized.

Advice to Management

Change the performance management system as you have done so often in past years.