There are newer employer reviews for 3M

Amazing company to gain experience and build resume for future career opportunities

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Decatur, AL
Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Decatur, AL

I have been working at 3M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to gain valuable experience for resume Lots of responsibility Supervisor doesn't micromanage and has open door policy Great supervisor 3M pays for APICS certification and Green Belt training Profit sharing bonuses Fairly open work schedule Knowledgeable coworkers who are willing to help out and answer questions

Cons

Biggest issue is corporate officers micromanage entirely too much LOTS of pointless meetings LOTS of pointless graphs that are requested by corporate officers No training for incoming employees. Have to seek it out on your own. Not the best health care for employees with families Slow pay increase system

Advice to Management

Get the feeling that most managers are only concerned about moving up the ladder. As a result, they aren't afraid at times to throw you under the bus or agree with unrealistic goals/ideas so long as their reputation is intact. My advice: We are a team and you are our coach. No one is going to give their best effort for a coach who is only concerned with his/her own performance review. Stop conforming and begin thinking for yourselves and the employees you manage.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great Place to Work

Current Contractor - Product Development Engineer in Maplewood, MN
    Current Contractor - Product Development Engineer in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

3M has a very welcoming culture that fosters collaboration, innovation and teamwork. The employess are very welcoming and professional. I feel that my talents are valued and I am given opportuinites to demonstrate my skills and learn new things.

Cons

It seems that there are a large number of contract employees and getting hired permanently may take some time (possibly several years, or not at all).

Typical large corporation, easy to get lost in the shuffle but great training ground

Former Employee - Process Development Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Process Development Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

innovation, stable and secure, strong technical culture

Cons

such a large company it's easy to get lost in the shuffle

Advice to Management

don't lose your passion for innovation and creativity; keep your technical edge and culture