There are newer employer reviews for 3M

Contract Workers ARE Second Class Citizens at this company.

Former Employee - Customer Account Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
Former Employee - Customer Account Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Famous, well-positioned company that looks good on a resume.

Cons

VERY corporate environment. Company is too big, positions overlap. I was hired as a temp, and I was pulled aside by my manager whom told me that I would continue on the project until June, instead of April. On March 30th, my badge didn't work when I went to exit the building. Security then asked for my badge. I knew that something was up. That had never happened. I contacted both the temp agency, as well as my manager to inquire why my badge had been taken away. BOTH my manager and the temp agency IGNORED me on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday; ONLY calling me on Monday to tell me that I was being let go. Fine if you want to dismiss somebody off a job, but at least tell them what is going on and be adult about it. DON'T leave people to worry about their job on a weekend, extremely inappropriate manner in which to dismiss ANY employee, even a temp. Temps aren't any less human than the rest of the work force.

Start analyzing different jobs in the BU's, and you will find that you have three people doing the same job, even two people in different business units. Start respecting temps. I was surprised to know that my story was common for temps. It left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think that I would work for 3M again because of what happened in my case. Perhaps NOW at the current moment, the companies have the upper hand, but one day, that won't be the case. And now, 3M, has more than a hand-full of people that feel disrespected and overlooked (unfortunately because of how they were treated by the company).

622 Other Employee Reviews for 3M (View Most Recent)

from the outside contractor view

Current Employee - IT EWCD Editor Analyst in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - IT EWCD Editor Analyst in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

plenty of work to do. easy to develop professional relationships.

Cons

as a contractor, no development opportunities. no conversion to FT opportunities. no flexibility with regard to wage negotiation.

Amazing company to gain experience and build resume for future career opportunities

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Decatur, AL
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Decatur, AL

I have been working at 3M full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing company to gain valuable experience for resume
    Lots of responsibility
    Supervisor doesn't micromanage and has open door policy
    Great supervisor
    3M pays for APICS certification and Green Belt training
    Profit sharing bonuses
    Fairly open work schedule
    Knowledgeable coworkers who are willing to help out and answer questions

Cons

Biggest issue is corporate officers micromanage entirely too much
    LOTS of pointless meetings
    LOTS of pointless graphs that are requested by corporate officers
    No training for incoming employees. Have to seek it out on your own.
    Not the best health care for employees with families
    Slow pay increase system

Get the feeling that most managers are only concerned about moving up the ladder. As a result, they aren't afraid at times to throw you under the bus or agree with unrealistic goals/ideas so long as their reputation is intact. My advice: We are a team and you are our coach. No one is going to give their best effort for a coach who is only concerned with his/her own performance review. Stop conforming and begin thinking for yourselves and the employees you manage.

There are newer employer reviews for 3M