3M

There are newer employer reviews for 3M

Products

Current Employee - Product Manager in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Product Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good to support work life and to grow career if you are interested int he traditional industrial distribution system

Cons

Lower Salary which is yet higher than most in the market in the same industrial sector. I have heard they provide better increments

Keep up the great work

655 Other Employee Reviews for 3M (View Most Recent)

Contract Workers ARE Second Class Citizens at this company.

Former Employee - Customer Account Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Account Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Famous, well-positioned company that looks good on a resume.

Cons

VERY corporate environment. Company is too big, positions overlap. I was hired as a temp, and I was pulled aside by my manager whom told me that I would continue on the project until June, instead of April. On March 30th, my badge didn't work when I went to exit the building. Security then asked for my badge. I knew that something was up. That had never happened. I contacted both the temp agency, as well as my manager to inquire why my badge had been taken away. BOTH my manager and the temp agency IGNORED me on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday; ONLY calling me on Monday to tell me that I was being let go. Fine if you want to dismiss somebody off a job, but at least tell them what is going on and be adult about it. DON'T leave people to worry about their job on a weekend, extremely inappropriate manner in which to dismiss ANY employee, even a temp. Temps aren't any less human than the rest of the work force.

Start analyzing different jobs in the BU's, and you will find that you have three people doing the same job, even two people in different business units. Start respecting temps. I was surprised to know that my story was common for temps. It left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think that I would work for 3M again because of what happened in my case. Perhaps NOW at the current moment, the companies have the upper hand, but one day, that won't be the case. And now, 3M, has more than a hand-full of people that feel disrespected and overlooked (unfortunately because of how they were treated by the company).

from the outside contractor view

Current Employee - IT EWCD Editor Analyst in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - IT EWCD Editor Analyst in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

plenty of work to do. easy to develop professional relationships.

Cons

as a contractor, no development opportunities. no conversion to FT opportunities. no flexibility with regard to wage negotiation.

There are newer employer reviews for 3M