There are newer employer reviews for 3M

A fantastic place for a R&D person

Current Employee - Senior CHEMIST  in  Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Senior CHEMIST in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the place where innovation sparks. The company does a great job on creating collaboration environment for R&D folks. The best example is its tech exchange forum, named as Tech Forum, a great place for exchanging ideas. I listened more talks in the past year at 3M than the four years at my PhD.

Cons

The location is not great for me since I am not a fan of cold weather or snow. It can be boring if you don't like skiing or ice fishing. It is a nice place to work though. The city is home for 19 Fortune 500 companies.

I hope they can create more flexible work schedule, such as working from home, taking Friday afternoon off, ... for R&D folks.

598 Other Employee Reviews for 3M (View Most Recent)

Old school - in every way.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable, global, investment in technical innovation

Cons

No true Marketing expertise (Marketers come from Sales), no investment in understanding the market or the consumer, no investment in brands, unrealistic internal valuation of what consumers will pay for the 3M brand, poor relationships with retailers, and a culture (and work environment) that hasn't evolved since the mid-1970's.

Decide what you want to be; an industrial company or a consumer company; you're terrible at the latter.

Overall 3M

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist  in  Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very interesting roles and experiences. The majority of people are very helpful. I love the different technologies, products, and now more than ever the company direction is positive.

Cons

A good company depending on the group you work for. You could be in the best group or the worse group ever - be aware.

Current CEO is making good changes, I am interested to see where Inge will take 3M. Stop the good old boy network.

There are newer employer reviews for 3M

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!