There are newer employer reviews for 3M

Senior Account Representative

Former Employee - Senior Account Representative
Former Employee - Senior Account Representative

I worked at 3M full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong company. I had great managers and was recognized for my achievements. Really liked my career at 3M and would recommend working there to anyone. I wish I had not left to pursue an opportunity which presented itself. Took the risk, got burned. Live and learn.

Cons

Marketers tend make decisions which can dramatically jeopardize a sales reps market share. The marketing people seem to make a change then move on to another marketing job in another division or department every two years and never see or suffer the consequences of their decisions. Sales people are left to scramble and save face with customers. Not a major issue, but it was frustrating at times. Experienced sales people are on their way out and too many college kids are taking their place.

Keep quality sales people with experience and product knowledge. More cheap feet on the street is not a good solution. Quality over quantity.

622 Other Employee Reviews for 3M (View Most Recent)

Global company comes with global work

Current Employee - Business Manager in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

The ability to work on global projects and with people around the world. Starting to see a flexible work arrangement in more than just a few pockets to accommodate global work hours (not all leaders accept this yet). Is a playground for Engineers, the technical community - 3M is everywhere!

Cons

Leadership development is top-notch for high-potential leaders - otherwise, there is a lot of leadership that has worked at the company for many years, promoted just because they are due for a change, not because of their ability. Seeing some low-performers promoted which likely happens in other large corporations of this size.

Risky model with large number of contingent workers who have more knowledge and intelligence than many of the 3M'ers. It is painful when they turnover.

Out with the Old in with the New

Former Employee - Team Leader in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great friends and former management,

Cons

This company was the best company to work for, my loyalty to the company was great, and the company’s loyalty was the best, this started changing in 2000 and little by little the company was removing the old loyal employees with contact workers, inexperienced new hires, and out sourcing. This was done through Six Sigma, Reclassifying Jobs and hiding behind new bogus company code of conduct rules that didn’t apply to upper management. So long Mr. McKnight principles and so long 34 years at this company, Good luck for the remaining old guard

Start looking in the mirror and invest in your veteran employees, return to the McKnight principles and live them

There are newer employer reviews for 3M