There are newer employer reviews for 3M

Good company, learning experience, and work environment.

Current Employee - Tech Aide in Maplewood, MN
Current Employee - Tech Aide in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay, helpful bosses, fun perks. Although tech aide positions aren't the greatest thing in the world, they are very good for soph.s or jr.s in college. They provide a basis of knowledge that will help you get a future entry level job or internship.

Cons

There aren't many cons working as a tech aide, at least for my job. The only thing that is a bit cumbersome is working while you are in school. However they don't force you to work during the academic year and many students only work summers or breaks.

reviews filtered by

When will the leaders learn to operate the company without extraordinary measures?

Current Employee - Laboratory Management in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Laboratory Management in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are the best in the world. We continue to be a great company, not because of company loyalty, but because of personal commitments to great coworkers.

Cons

While delivering strong results to Wall Street, 3M is only able to achieve them by complete travel bans, hiring freezes and 2% salary increases. Executives continue to keep the company jets in the air, and when they have to fly commercial, always sit in first class. Their income keeps increasing, especially as they execute multimillion dollar stock options. They stay cloistered on their mahogany floors and don't see that the rest of the physical plant has deteriorated as the maintenance budgets are squeezed like everything else.

Advice to Management

Give up the short term, month-to-month thinking. Your workforce is aging, its time to start hiring. The executives have to start leading by example and stop drinking the filtered cool aid. You have understand the complexity at individual project levels before you can manage an enterprise. Walk around unannounced and listen to people for more than two minutes.

My 3 years experience working for 3M.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounted product, sometimes getting reserved parking when someone is out of the office. Having a clinic & pharmacy onsite.

Cons

New comers not welcomed. Difficult culture being new.

Advice to Management

Get MORE new blood, change is good. Investigate culture and make some changes. More respect for women and clerical staff. People comment on how wonderful 3M is but that is all they know after working there for 30+ years. It is not the best company and needs improvement. I am very disappointed in my career with 3M and after 3 years, I am looking elsewhere.