3M

www.3m.com

Rewarding place to work, Family Friendly,

Current Employee - Research Engineer  in  Maplewood, MN
Current Employee - Research Engineer in Maplewood, MN

Pros

Flexible hours are accepted for most non-production positions. I am trusted to do my work and 'put in the hours" (45+) on average. No body is looking over your shoulder to make sure and this leads to an environment where people feel appreciated and willing to go the extra mile when needed.

People of all types work here and I have not seen nor heard of any of the types of racial/other discrimination that a few other reviewers talked about. My guess is that if they are not advancing, they either have a poisonous attitude or are not performing as well as they think they are.

One of my favorite parts of working in the technical community here is the copious amounts of learning opportunities, whether it be a Tech Forum class, a cold call to any researcher no matter how senior, or general networking. For one who likes to learn and build/contribute on others' knowledge, there is no better place to work than 3M that I know of.

Cons

If you think that just showing up is 80% of the work, this is not the place for you. Some people may slide by, but don't know how they live with themselves.

Bureaucratic red tape is a fact of life in a large entity like 3M. Not fun, but one learns to work effectively within that framework.

Do not forget the value of patient money, ever! (R&D spend)

Don't allow good contractors waiting for an "in", sit around too long. Once you have seen their value, hire them! To ignore this is to risk our intellectual property, both present and future.

Other reviews for 3M

Incompetence, nepotism, swearing at employees, threats.

Current Employee - Lead Design Analyst  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Lead Design Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Benefits, location, environment, interesting and challenging work. Many wonderful people to work with.

Cons

Incompetent and unqualified management, nepotism, the cousin of the manger that brought her in the department secretly, got the job that I earned. When I brought up to the director the qualifications of my manager he said, "you tell anyone what happened to you and I will kick your ass." , while the HR manage sat next to me and said nothing. An upper level manager used the, "F", word to me twice in a meeting while my manager sat next to me and said nothing and when reported nothing was done about it and if you did that to a manager at 3M they would walk you out the door. People advanced not by their accomplishment or contributions but by who they sucked up to and that is the 3M way. Those envolved in nepotism should be fired no matter how long ago it happened. However, 3M management can't handle that problem either when nepotism is their fault it says on the application, "do you have any relatives that work here.", and 3M let her come in the department and move ahead. She advanced three job classes in a year and a half and is there a red flag there?

Get qualified people in their jobs and promote people by their contributions and according to the qualifications I saw there for jobs I am qualified to be the CEO and I have told the CEO, I want the job.

The name on the resume is worthwhile but not a happy place to work.

Former Employee - Accounts Payable  in  Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Maplewood, MN

Pros

The internship program is good and they are actively working to make it better. They have a lot of services for employees. The benefits are changing and while not as good as they once were they are still not bad.

Cons

Too big, you are just a number. Stifling atmosphere. People are just counting their time to retirement. Not an upbeat place to work. Not enough variety in duties, everything is very compartmentalized. Too much emphasis on degrees and where they came from.

Lighten up, take off the starched collars and interact with the employees, you might find some great hidden talent. While still a solid company they are overlooking some great people.

There are newer employer reviews for 3M.

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!