3M

www.3m.com
  www.3m.com
There are newer employer reviews for 3M

This program is perfect for engineering students who are interested in R&D.

Current Employee - Tech Aide in Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Tech Aide in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

You will learn a lot about how to refine the way you think about research and product development. Working here will improve the integrity of your work and documentation skills. It also teaches students a lot about working in a corporate environment.

Cons

Currently, contract employees are treated as second rate citizens, with no opportunity for an in. They are frequently dismissed when they inquire about secure job opportunities and will be kept on-hand for years without being hired permanently. They get no paid vacation, no bonus, and no opportunity for advancement.... aside from the pay, being a tech-aide is actually more advantageous since you can have access to many more company resources. This program, however, is only available to students.

As a tech aide, you simply won't learn some things if you just don't ask so be sure to fulfill your curiosity by asking questions about the tasks which you perform. Otherwise the job can become quite boring and monotonous.

Push for recognition of the contract talent. Help them with their career aspirations if they show real ambition.

655 Other Employee Reviews for 3M (View Most Recent)

Do Your Homework

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

Location. Stable- depending on where you are in the corporation. Ample opportunity for lateral movement to try different things.

Cons

Below average compensation and benefits. There is NO work/life balance at 3M unless you've been there for a long time! If you do stand your ground and not let them stomp on you, you'd better be happy with where your at because you'll never get anywhere. The 3M philosophy is to suck you in, dump on you until they break your back and then spit you out. They don't care about retention of good talent which is very saddening. Best part is management knows this! My manager keeps telling me to put various things on my resume..

Very Political! Lots of headstrong people with big egos and personal agendas.

Wake Up! Promote trained and qualified people from within. Treat employees like humans and you might be surprised with the outcome.

Rewarding place to work, Family Friendly,

Current Employee - Research Engineer in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

Flexible hours are accepted for most non-production positions. I am trusted to do my work and 'put in the hours" (45+) on average. No body is looking over your shoulder to make sure and this leads to an environment where people feel appreciated and willing to go the extra mile when needed.

People of all types work here and I have not seen nor heard of any of the types of racial/other discrimination that a few other reviewers talked about. My guess is that if they are not advancing, they either have a poisonous attitude or are not performing as well as they think they are.

One of my favorite parts of working in the technical community here is the copious amounts of learning opportunities, whether it be a Tech Forum class, a cold call to any researcher no matter how senior, or general networking. For one who likes to learn and build/contribute on others' knowledge, there is no better place to work than 3M that I know of.

Cons

If you think that just showing up is 80% of the work, this is not the place for you. Some people may slide by, but don't know how they live with themselves.

Bureaucratic red tape is a fact of life in a large entity like 3M. Not fun, but one learns to work effectively within that framework.

Do not forget the value of patient money, ever! (R&D spend)

Don't allow good contractors waiting for an "in", sit around too long. Once you have seen their value, hire them! To ignore this is to risk our intellectual property, both present and future.

There are newer employer reviews for 3M