There are newer employer reviews for 3M

Widely-held views from the 3M labs.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Maplewood, MN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

3M is involved in a wide variety of technology platforms, which means a scientist or engineer can work in different fields throughout his/her career. It also means that it is possible to transfer between divisions when you need a change!

Cons

Unfortunately, the promotions/rewards system currently in place do not encourage long term high-risk research as much as short term, low-risk projects.

Management should reward high-risk paradigm-shifting research, even if it does not result in immediate sales. Otherwise, technical staff will naturally choose to do low-risk, short term projects, which probably will not result in breakthrough discoveries.

600 Other Employee Reviews for 3M (View Most Recent)

3M is a typical large corporation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

It’s a big company, so there is a lot of room to move around and lots of opportunities. 3M is big into advanced education so the tuition reimbursement is second to none. In truth, if you work hard and do a good job of networking there are opportunities to grow and advance.

Cons

Because of it's size it can be very difficult to get notice, you really do have to network. It is very much who you know not what. There are also a lot of people hiding out waiting to retire. The evaluation system is complete BS, ratings are based on almost everything but performance.

Please change the evaluation system, whether you got a promotion or if you neighbor got a 4 should have no barring on whether or not you get a 4 or a 5. Additionally, We are too rigid in our requirements for our jobs. I've seen some people not even considered for job that they could have done well at just because their degree didn't match what HR thought was required.

Do Your Homework

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

Location. Stable- depending on where you are in the corporation. Ample opportunity for lateral movement to try different things.

Cons

Below average compensation and benefits. There is NO work/life balance at 3M unless you've been there for a long time! If you do stand your ground and not let them stomp on you, you'd better be happy with where your at because you'll never get anywhere. The 3M philosophy is to suck you in, dump on you until they break your back and then spit you out. They don't care about retention of good talent which is very saddening. Best part is management knows this! My manager keeps telling me to put various things on my resume..

Very Political! Lots of headstrong people with big egos and personal agendas.

Wake Up! Promote trained and qualified people from within. Treat employees like humans and you might be surprised with the outcome.

There are newer employer reviews for 3M

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!